#16 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

I'll go with rust, he clearly needs some work.  He's bigger and doesn't look 100% to me.  He hasn't played in a while before the AFL and even now just gets a couple games in a row, then sits one, and dh's the next, etc.  Guessing he will sit today.  Still would be nice to see him hit a groove though...

#17 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

I forget who it was, but one of the scouts on twitter said he looked stronger, not just bigger.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#18 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

I forget who it was, but one of the scouts on twitter said he looked stronger, not just bigger.

Well, if it was on Twitter, it was probably Spriggs.

#19 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Well, if it was on Twitter, it was probably Spriggs.

Whaaa? Spriggs finally got on the Twitter? Can I quote you on that?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#20 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Monday, 10/21 Game

Solar Sox beat Surprise 9-6 this afternoon on a warm sunny afternoon game at Hohokam.  Almora and Soler got the day off.  Bryant hit cleanup and played 3rd base.  Not any fielding plays to speak of... At bat, he drew a couple walks, struck out swinging and hit a ground ball double right over 3rd base.  Sure hope he can stick at 3B... but even if he doesn't, be excited!

Armando Rivero struggled again, giving up 4 hits and a walk to go with his one strikeout.  Surprise might still be up there hitting if not for the inning ending line drive double play. Saguaro hitters were not fooled by Armando.

#21 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

Wednesday, 10/23 - at Scottsdale Stadium

The Solar Sox games are becoming progressively more Cubbish.  If I'm counting right, today was their 3rd loss in 4 games - all losing leads late... and looking comical in the process.  They lost 2-1 and were leading 1-0 going into the 9th.

Soler once again was nowhere to be seen today.  I asked the Solar Sox manager (Richardson) what was up with him, and he said Soler has been in Florida the last few days taking care of "administrative problems of some kind" but he expects him back in uniform on Thursday.  (VISA issues??)  Almora didn't start or bat, but came into the game in the 9th for defense.

For the Cubs who did play, nothing really good today.  Bryant smacked a double off the left field wall in his first at bat (swung at the first pitch) - the ball was misplayed and should have been easily caught.  He finished 1 for 5 with 2 K's. 

Wes Darvill played RF and got an RBI single on an infield pop up that was lost in the sun.  He finished 1 for 4 and was taken out in the ninth for defensive purposes (Almora came in), but it turns out, they should have taken out CFer Stephen Souza (WAS) who misplayed a fly ball in the 9th that cost them.

The Solar Sox had men on either 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 outs in 4 of the first 5 innings, but could not score until Darvill's big hit.  Two of those three innings they had men on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. 

More comedy with the same 2 teams meeting in Mesa on Thursday afternoon. 

PS... Matt Purke (WAS) started and looked great again for the Solar Sox.  Their starting pitching has been fantastic.  I think Beeler goes Thursday -- if not, Friday.

#22 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thanks again, Spriggers.

#23 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

Spriggs, it was reported that Soler had some paperwork that needed to be taken care of for his residency and those reports said he would be back later in the week as well. Thanks for the updates.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#24 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

10/24, Thursday - Hohokam

Great to see Soler back in uniform today.  He batted 6th today and played RF.  Almora and Bryant had the day off.

Soler smacked a hard groundball (2-RBI) single between third and short in his first AB. In his 2nd AB, he scorched a hard line drive to left for a single (these first two hits were off Phil Irwin - PIT - who did see some MLB action in 2013).  On his third AB he singled again between SS and 3rd.  His 4th and final AB, he had a 3-0 count before getting fooled on a 3-2 breaking pitch for a K. 

Beeler started the game and got the W.  He got off to a rough start though giving up a single and sharp line drive HR (Alen Hanson, PIT SS) to the first two Scorpions.  He settled down nicely after that, going 4 innings with no walks and 2 Ks (the last two hitters he faced).  Beeler induced a lot of ground balls today. 

Loosen pitched the next 2 innings and looked pretty good.  He K'd 3 and didn't walk anyone.  He gave up a long homer for his only blemish today.

Lendy Castillo replaced Loosen to start the 7th and walked a couple before getting out of the inning with no damage.

The Solar Sox now have a 2 1/2 game lead in the East.  I would really like to see them win their division so they could play in championship game in mid Nov.

#25 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

Saturday, 10/26 Hohokam (Suprise Saguaros 6, Mesa Solar Sox 1)

Solar Sox lost today and saw their lead in the East shrink to 3.5 games.

Kris Bryant did not play today.  Wes Darvill filled in for him at 3rd and played well, especially in the field making two outstanding plays.  He also added a line drive double down the RF line for the only Solar Sox RBI of the day.

Almora played CF and continued his cold streak at the plate going 0 for 4.  I'm sure many of you will recall how Geo Soto used to shake his hands/wrist when he swung and missed on ocassion.  I don't think it was anything serious, but I've noticed that Almora does the same thing, as I've seen him do that 4 or 5 times in the AFL games this year. 

Soler was 1 for 4 and hit the ball hard a couple times to go with a K.  He doubled in his first AB on sizzling liner that one hopped the LF wall.  After the game, in the heat of the Arizona afternoon, Soler did some running around the OF perimeter for the 2nd straight home game I've been at. The Cubs trainer accompanied Jorge on and off the field.

Lendy Castillo pitched another scoreless inning with a walk and a K.

I haven't seen any official announcements or anything, but Ron Villone, pitching coach for Kane County last year, said he is going to Daytona this coming year (in the same role).  Brian Harper said he is going to Iowa as the hitting coach this year.  Villone has been at the last several games watching from the stands and Harper is the current Solar Sox hitting coach.

#26 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Monday, 10/28 Hohokam

The Solar Sox lost to the Salt River Rafters today 3-2. 

Solar Sox seeing action today were Bryant, Soler, Rivero and Almora (pinch ran in the 9th).

Bryant went 1 for 3 with a walk and a 395 foot home run to right center field.  In his first AB, Kris grounded to 3rd.  His 2nd AB he swung and missed 3 times for a K.  He walked in his 3rd trip to the plate and then hit the HR in the 8th.  It was 2 run shot off of a cardinal left hander.  It doesn't matter what the guys name is or what he throws.  Just know that he will be really really good - if and when the cardinals call him up... but probably only for a year, then he will be gone. You heard it here first.

Soler looked good again today.  He grounded out, flew out deep to the wall in right center, walked, and had a ground ball single in his last AB to lead off the 9th.  Almora came in to pinch run, but was left stranded at 1st.  Soler looks like he's gaining confidence and getting his timing back a little.  Once again he was the only player who worked out on the field after the game.  This time running sprints under the supervision of the Cubs trainer.

Rivero was hit hard again and struggled with his command.  He walked one, gave up some hard hit balls and a run.  Luckily they threw out a runner to limit the damage.  The run proved to be costly.  Though the name doesn't matter, the RBI hit off Rivero was by a cardinal who will no doubt be a key contributor to a cardinals future pennant run -- if or when they ever call him up. 

I really want the Solar Sox to beat these guys... they play again on Tuesday night in D'Bag park (Talking Stick).

#27 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

So, with that information, they could bring up any pitcher for one good year before he flames out and you can claim it. I guess you figure you know enough about the past and now you are working on the future?

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#28 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:02 AM

So, with that information, they could bring up any pitcher for one good year before he flames out and you can claim it. I guess you figure you know enough about the past and now you are working on the future?

Well, I did say a left hander... so no.

#29 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

Well, I did say a left hander... so no.

touche`

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).