#1 CubbieBoiler

CubbieBoiler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:TheTony_Scott

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Say the management decides to make a package where they decide to trade one of our top four (Baez, Almora, Soler, Bryant) for someone like a Price or other ace, which one would you be the least upset to see go? I don't know much about these besides the hype but it seems like people aren't afraid to throw them out in trade ideas.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Well Bryant can't be traded this winter so it comes down to value we are giving vs receiving. Baez is the wildcard for me his prospect value might be as high as it will ever be and he lives up the hype I'd hate to lose him but if he struggles and flames out we will be hating ourselves for not trading him at his peak. Of course this is true for every player/prospect but Baez is a unique player. He will either struggle with the Ks as a pro and never adjust or become a monster power hitter. I just hope we make the right move.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

I agree with goat. Bryant can't be traded until next year and could possibly be in the majors by the time he's eligible. Baez stock is the highest but I think the front office would like to see how he adjusts to AAA before trade talks. Then Almora I think has the best shot at reaching the majors just based on defense alone plus he was their first pick and feel they will want to keep him. Soler was signed to a 9 year deal so I don't see them moving him just yet until he shows he's healthy and productive. So my answer is I believe non of them get traded, at least this offseason, and continue to build a strong farm system like they originally intended.

#4 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

If I had to pick one it be Soler, but I don't think any get traded, and after Soler I'd put Baez 2nd on the list.  Almora and Bryant I think are keepers

From what I've read Almora has an extremely high floor, and if you believe you have a gold glove center fielder who can hit for a high average than you have a well above average CF. Bryant seems like he is going to hit and if he can stay at 3rd once again I think you have a well above average 3rd basemen in him.

Soler is listed first because of position and the fact that I think the Cubs will look to get more LH. a LH outfielder I think will be easier to find that one than an infielder. Baez is next for the same reasons the Goat listed. His value is high right now and he will either be a monster or a bust. I think the FO keeps him in AAA and see how he does because they don't want to make the wrong  decision with him.

#5 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'm not sure I agree that none of them will be traded.  Only because the Cubs keep coming up as trade partners.  This could be because they have the prospects and are percieved to have money (though if you follow BN that's not as true as some think) or there could be some fire to go with that smoke.  Maybe I have an inappropriate amount of skepticism towards prospects (even highly ranked ones) but trading any of them wouldn't bother me.

I think Bryant and Baez are the closest to the majors and could be there sometime next year so they would be lower on my list.  Soler has a contract that makes him hard to trade to a lot of teams, especially Tampa.  That leaves Almora.  His ceiling is high and so is his floor but he's so young and has played less do to injury.  I think he may be the best option.  Though his AFL stats make me question myself.  Its only been four games (at least thats what's on the AFL stats website as I write this) so I'm not convinced but if it continues my mind would change to Baez.  His stock is high and he could never figure out MLB pitching and drop his K% the way he has at each stop in the minors.

#6 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'd say the answer is Jorge Soler. The front office is "in love" with Albert Almora and it's common knowledge that Bryant and Baez are the closest to seeing MLB time. You can't buy 80 power without a hefty price tag on the open market and both of those guys have it, so they're not going anywhere.

In regards to being too right handed, you have to remember that Alcantara is a switch hitter and will probably be up in July next year if he continues to put up stats that mock Junior Lake's. If the major league pitchers adjust and Lake ultimately becomes just a lefty-masher, that would be a perfect CF platoon (I know they just moved A. A. to 2B, but he could end up in the OF as did Lake), since our IF could get crowded (assuming Castro bounces back). We could also sign a free agent switch-hitting or left handed catcher this year.

#7 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Baez is not an 80 power guy.  I've not seen him rated higher than 70 by anyone reputable, and I haven't seen anything out of him that would give me reason to revise that.

I'm also not sure that Bryant is that much closer to the majors than Soler.  Both could start in Daytona or Tennessee, both are nearly certain to finish no lower than Tennessee barring a complete collapse or injury, and both should be in the conversation for starting jobs in spring training 2015.

#8 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Baez is not an 80 power guy.  I've not seen him rated higher than 70 by anyone reputable, and I haven't seen anything out of him that would give me reason to revise that.

I'm also not sure that Bryant is that much closer to the majors than Soler.  Both could start in Daytona or Tennessee, both are nearly certain to finish no lower than Tennessee barring a complete collapse or injury, and both should be in the conversation for starting jobs in spring training 2015.

If that's true (and I hope it is), do you think they will both be up before the end of the 2014?  I'm not sure how the Soler situation works since he signed a nine year deal but I would think with Bryant, at least, they would want future control and a Rizzo type call up would come at some point.

#9 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

I know Baez has been rated lower, but has been compared to Gary Sheffield (who hit 509 HR over 22 Years w/9 All-Star appearances and 7 MVP awards). But Sheff barely struck out, his career high was 83 in a year. That's pretty powerful. Now, if only those 37 HR Baez hit this year can translate to the ML level... and get high K rate down.

Soler and Bryant should probably start in Tennessee. The 2015 OF free agent market looks very weak and both players should have a job (barring injury) at the ML level by then. Soler might get a look in September, just because he's already on the 40-man roster.

#10 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

Isn't it only Baez's bat speed and smoothness with it that has been compared to Sheffield?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#11 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

Isn't it only Baez's bat speed and smoothness with it that has been compared to Sheffield?

Yes. 

#12 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

Bat speed generates power. I'd be disappointed if he hit lower than 15 HR in a full season.

#13 EpsteinHoyer2015

EpsteinHoyer2015

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Respectfully disagree with this post, kind of

I have seen Baez been given an 80 Power this fall, but only once. The thing with Baez is though, a lot of his raw power translates to game power because of his bat speed, which is why he hit 37 HR. Guys like Soler have raw 80 power but certainly not in games yet, for he doesnt have the elite bat speed and hasn't mastered how to add proper lift to the ball. But yeah, I think Baez has 70 raw power, but also 70 game power

The reason Bryant is closer than Soler is because he has simply played more baseball over the last few years. Soler's defecting process + injuries have lead to him missing a lot of time, so getting a full season in the minors is going to be pretty important. Because he is on the 40 man already, I could most certainly see him as a September call-up if the situation calls for it. Most advanced scouts believe Bryant will be up before that

#14 TheRiot2

TheRiot2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPine City,Mn.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well Bryant can't be traded this winter so it comes down to value we are giving vs receiving. Baez is the wildcard for me his prospect value might be as high as it will ever be and he lives up the hype I'd hate to lose him but if he struggles and flames out we will be hating ourselves for not trading him at his peak. Of course this is true for every player/prospect but Baez is a unique player. He will either struggle with the Ks as a pro and never adjust or become a monster power hitter. I just hope we make the right move.

If any one were traded in a pkg. for that pitcher or catcher we had a need for, then that guy would have to be Soler.I say we keep at all costs the BIG 3.  Almora gives us a homegrown CF prospect we have never seen before a guy with all the talent on both offense and defense. Baez we have to keep his bat along with Bryant's at all cost. Soler can be replaced by a free agent signing or a trade. :mellow:  :mellow:

#15 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

If any one were traded in a pkg. for that pitcher or catcher we had a need for, then that guy would have to be Soler.I say we keep at all costs the BIG 3.  Almora gives us a homegrown CF prospect we have never seen before a guy with all the talent on both offense and defense. Baez we have to keep his bat along with Bryant's at all cost. Soler can be replaced by a free agent signing or a trade. :mellow:  :mellow:
 Nobody wants Solar's contract and with the latest talk about his attitude he's a giant expensive risk for another team, and if we want a great return we have to give up a prospect. Right now only Baez has a huge value since Bryant can't be traded and Almora is too young to be worth the risk to another team.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).