Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Not sure where this idea that Soler has an immovable contract comes from, but I don't buy it at all.

I think the attitude issue is being somewhat overplayed as well. To my knowledge it is based on a single report that came from the AFL where he was not playing at full health.

We used to hear similar things about Baez too. I don't think any team would pass Baez over as a giant risk right now despite that prior history.

#17 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Not sure where this idea that Soler has an immovable contract comes from, but I don't buy it at all.
I think the attitude issue is being somewhat overplayed as well. To my knowledge it is based on a single report that came from the AFL where he was not playing at full health.
We used to hear similar things about Baez too. I don't think any team would pass Baez over as a giant risk right now despite that prior history.

You might be correct but it's a big contract for a AA prospect that has not lived up to the Cuban baseline of expectations set by Cespedes and Puig. Yes it's cheap overall but if I was a team trading for him I'd use it as leverage. I do often wonder which of the big four would be considered the prize by each teams front office if they had their pick of the four.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#18 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

How has he not lived up to expectations?  Other than getting hurt, that is.  But even despite the lingering leg injury, he put up a wRC+ of 128 in the FSL.  That's hardly reason to look down on him.

Soler was never billed as being major league ready.  Fans may see that as him being disappointing, but no one working for any team front office is going view things that way.

#19 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

Luke I really have no problem with him but I think his stock has gone down and looking at it as another team's fan I don't see him as valuable as the other three and combined with his big contract I'd be less excited to get him vs. the other three. I hope wrong and that he will recover and do what Baez did last year.

Honestly Baez is the one that worries me the most I fear he's either a superstar or bust whereas the others seem to be more likely to contribute even if they don't become MVP like.

What all this prospect thinking and research has taught me is that I have so much to learn, I blown away how you keep up on all of it Luke it's overwhelming to keep track of the MLB roster and also keep aware and current with the MiLB.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#20 Scotti

Scotti

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

I'd trade them all for one really good bunter.  ;-)   

Ranking their ceilings (highest to lowest and considering position/defense and the value of the same to the current Cubs) I'd go:

Baez, Bryant, Soler, Almora.  Nothing stunning there.  

Ranking their floors (highest to lowest) I'd go:

Baez, Almora, Soler, Bryant.  

Baez's K's doesn't worry me (and never have).  They are a byproduct of over swinging. Tim Wilken talked about this on the day he was drafted.  He has two swings.  The over agressive swing and a more contact related swing (not a slappy swing, just more contact).   This year for Baez demonstrated that.  They wanted more contact to move him up and BAM! he gave it to them.  

Bryant's K's concern me (his defense doesn't).  I've watched a lot of video of Bryant in-game and BP and, yes, he can put a charge into it with the best of them.  but he rarely looks comfortable doing it.  Baez, for example, looks good missing.  Bryant looks like he's fishing.  I like Bryant, I just need to see those K's go down and you generally see them go up.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).