King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

Weekend:

The Cubs beat the Phillies, 26-23, on August 25, 1922, at Wrigley Field.  The Phillies returned the favor (apparently they were waiting until the Cubs least expected it or they wanted nearly everyone to die off before they exacted revenge) on May 17, 1979, by beating the Cubs, 23-22, at Wrigley.

Spriggs has the bobblehead they gave away both days.  Coincidentally, both days featured bobbleheads of the future Cubs dream team of Colvin, Marwin Gonzalez, Ryan Theriot and Tony Campana.  They just knew these guys would be special before Cubs management would screw the pooch.

Monday:

What years did Harry Caray broadcast for the Cubs?  Bonus points: What years did his entire career span?  What 4 other teams did he broadcast for?

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

Scoring a lot with Harry.

I didn't know you were into carny folk (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Caray announced for the Cardinals, White Sox, Cubs and I have no clue on the 4th.

I'll guess he was with the Cubs from 1980 - 1996.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

Scoring a lot with Harry.

I didn't know you were into carny folk (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Caray announced for the Cardinals, White Sox, Cubs and I have no clue on the 4th.

I'll guess he was with the Cubs from 1980 - 1996.

He did broadcast for the Cards, White Sox and Cubs; however, Cubs is not a correct answer to the question.

Wrong on the start and end years.

Suck it Connery.

#4 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

The other team is Oakland.  The A's that is.

1982 - 1997

I will always remember how much he hated the fake to third throw to first move.  I won't lie, I got a little misty when the Cubs actually got someone with it in 1998.

#5 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

I grew up listening to Harry announce for the St Louis Browns (you basturds).  That's the 4th team you're looking for.  I think Milo Hamilton's last year broadcasting for the Cubs was 1981... so I will guess Harry started the next year with the Cubs. 1982. I'll guess his last year was 1997. Don't think he did the 1998 season.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

I grew up listening to Harry announce for the St Louis Browns (you basturds).  That's the 4th team you're looking for.  I think Milo Hamilton's last year broadcasting for the Cubs was 1981... so I will guess Harry started the next year with the Cubs. 1982. I'll guess his last year was 1997. Don't think he did the 1998 season.

It would have been difficult, considering he died in February of that year.

#7 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

It says 4 other teams besides the Cubs.  He also broadcast for the Baltimore Orioles, who were know at the time as the St. Louis Browns.  Shoutout to Mrs. Little and my 4th grade English class where I wrote a compelling Harry Carey biography that spanned 1 page, double spaced. 

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

Browns were the mystery team.

Browns: 45-46

Cards: 45-69 (not sure how that worked)

A's: 1970

White Sox: 71-81

Cubs: 82-97

#9 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Browns were the mystery team.

Browns: 45-46

Cards: 45-69 (not sure how that worked)

A's: 1970

White Sox: 71-81

Cubs: 82-97

Not sure how it worked either. Didn't know he did both during the same years... But I remember Jack Brickhouse did the Cubs and White Sox games for WGN during the same years (I hated that). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).