Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

You should never plan for this, but what do you guys think about calling Baez and Bryant up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EpsteinHoyer2015

EpsteinHoyer2015

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

together?

Now, i should stress that this situation is assuming both are relatively ready.I was chatting with Jason Parks on twitter, and he said he expects Bryant to be at Wrigley by the SUMMER of 2014 (I was thinking September at the earliest). Of course, we know that this is the rough timeline that we were expecting a Baez promotion so.....

Do you think the Cubs should cut some development time for one of the players to call them both up at the same time? Now, this goes against what the front office generally preaches, but lets face it. With most resources directed towards Tanaka this offense might be pretty bad for the first few months. When either Baez or Bryant are nearing ready, there will probably be a buzz bigger than the one for Rizzo, which means a lot of unfair pressure will be placed on these 21/22 year olds. The only real way (I feel) to cut the pressure is to call them up in together, kind of ease them in, and let them know that they alone aren't meant to be saviors (I guess you kind of distribute the pressure). Rizzo handled it well but Rizzo also has an incredible mental makeup

I know a lot can happen between now and next June, but just wanted to discuss. I think this might have been their thought process calling up Vitters and Jackson? (Or not)

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I don't think either gets called up until after they are passed the super-two line. There isn't much to gain and (hopefully) a lot of money to lose later. I can see the merits of calling them both up together, but I don't think either one will be rushed. There is too much to lose when calling them up before they are ready. If we are to hypothesis that they want to bring them up together, they will hold one of them back until the other is ready. I still don't see that happening though. Each player develops independent of other prospects. To alter one prospects timeline to benefit another's isn't a wise decision. Each prospect is an individual and should be treated as such.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

I agree with Tim.  I have managed to convince myself that both are going to be knocking on the door as early as spring training and both will be called up in June, just after the super two cutoff, but they will both be individual cases and won't be a simultaneous call-up.  I think Baez is going to start off in Iowa and Bryant in Tennessee, and they will be called up in that order.

#4 EpsteinHoyer2015

EpsteinHoyer2015

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

Well, part of what Parks told me is that AAA is pretty much useless for Bryant

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

Nothing I said contradicts what Parks guessed would happen. 

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 EpsteinHoyer2015

EpsteinHoyer2015

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

Yeah my bad. I was referring to King Jeff noting Baez would start at AAA and Bryant at AA.

I think if Bryant dominates spring training and AA the Cubs are heavily going to consider skipping AAA. Especially if they dont see any real reason to send him there.

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Yeah my bad. I was referring to King Jeff noting Baez would start at AAA and Bryant at AA.

I think if Bryant dominates spring training and AA the Cubs are heavily going to consider skipping AAA. Especially if they dont see any real reason to send him there.

That could be, but spring training numbers don't mean anything (at all). Also, Nothing that Jeff said contradicts that either. However, I still see him getting a hand full of at-bats in AAA unless he absolutely destroys AA and doesn't have any strikeout concerns.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

It's not like they're BFFs or even know each other THAT well.  If they were fellow countrymen (such as Soler and Conception), college teammates (Fontenot and Theriot), or they came up together in the minors it would make sense.  As far as I know, they most likely won't be teammates in the minors other than offseason ball/Spring Training.

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

That could be, but spring training numbers don't mean anything (at all). Also, Nothing that Jeff said contradicts that either. However, I still see him getting a hand full of at-bats in AAA unless he absolutely destroys AA and doesn't have any strikeout concerns.

Yeah, even if Bryant skips AAA altogether, it's still probable(likely) that they would still have separate call-up dates.  I think Baez is going to push the Cubs to bring him to Wrigley faster than Bryant will, but that doesn't mean that I think both couldn't be called up fairly close to each other.  Like Mittens said, if they were fellow countrymen, or teammates at some point, I could see the merits of calling them up together, but they have no such ties that bind.  While I think that there is an inherent advantage to bringing them up together to alleviate pressure, I also think that the Cubs have enough young players, that fitting in and carrying pressure to win won't be an over-riding factor. 

#10 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Vitters will stricly play LF in Spring Training.

Olt should take the 3B job out of Spring Training.

Barney and Castro will be traded or traded before the deadline.

Valbuena, Murphy, and Watkins will take care of the SS/2B duties.

Baez, Bryant, and Alcantara will be called up after the Super Two cutoff.

There will be a huge difference in our lineup.

Assuming we don't sign an outfielder...

Opening Day:

SS Castro (Watkins if traded)

LF Lake [CF]

1B Rizzo (L)

C Castillo

RF Schierholtz (L) (if not already traded)

3B Olt

CF Sweeney (L) / Vitters [LF]

2B Valbuena (L) / Murphy

July

2B Alcantara (S) / Murphy

LF Lake [CF]

RF Bryant

1B Rizzo (L)

SS Baez

3B Olt

CF Sweeney (L) / Vitters [LF]

C Castillo

#11 EpsteinHoyer2015

EpsteinHoyer2015

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:11 AM

I really dont see the Cubs trading Castro at all, especially not this off season. Again stuff changes but if I had to guess

APRIL

Castro (SS)

Valbuena (2B)

Rizzo (1B)

Olt (3B) (Added pressure if he hits clean up but need to split lefties)

Schierholtz (RF)

Castillo ©

Sweeney (CF)

Lake (LF)

Honestly if these players play up to their potential this isnt a terrible lineup. BUT

September:

Castro (SS)

Alcantara (2B)

Baez (3B)

Rizzo(1B)

Bryant (RF)

Olt (LF)

Sweeney (CF)

Castillo ©

Looks very solid with Lake as a super utility and Soler and Almora rising fast

But honestly who knows what will happen

#12 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

I can see where you both are coming from with the lineup and projected lineup but I have to disagree.  Lake is and will always be a 4th outfielder on the Cubs.  I think everyone really needs to pump the brakes on Alcantara, yes he had a great year last year but Bryan Lahair had an amazing first half at the majors as well.  Go look at Alcantara's numbers pre 2013.  I see Alcantara and Lake as solid bench players and you know what?  Thats ok b/c a good team needs those type of players.  I don't see Starlin being moved until all star break at the earliest this way they can review Alcantara or Villanueva longer and make sure one of them can handle 2b on the major league level but if I had to guess Starlin does not get moved.  Here is my projection on how the offseason takes place: Cubs make a SERIOUS run at Tanaka and offer 75 million posting fee (if someone goes crazy and offers more so be it) I think the Cubs land him though.  They sign a backup catcher if I had to guess I would say Suzuki or Molina, they will also sign Chris Young to a 1 year 5 million deal so he can regain his value, they might sign a reliever on the cheap if they really like someone that slips to them.  Thats your offseason ppl IMO.

#13 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

LaHair was 29, Alcantara and Lake are 21, there's a big difference there. There's no need to "pump the brakes" on Alcantara... he's put up similar numbers in the minor leagues to Junior Lake with a lower BABIP, so there's more reason to be excited about him than his predecessor. He's fast and a true, top-of-the-lineup guy the Cubs' FO can get behind because he's a switch hitter and a base stealer that takes walks (almost double the rate of Lake).

Lake may end up being just a lefty-masher, and there are a lot of scouts that would say once pitchers adjust, he'll end up being just that. If we end up with Alcantara vs RHP and Lake vs LHP, that's fine with me... we have all of next year to find out if that's the case. Until then, we do have Bogusevic and Schierholtz (if he's not moved this off season) to take the starts vs RHP if Lake starts out slow.

We have a lot of infielders on the move. I think with Soler's injury, he'll be on the same timetable as Almora now. If anything, those two will have the best chance of being called up at the same.

#14 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

Ok Lahair is a bad example and I'm lazy and don't feel like looking up a million examples of players that go from a fringe prospect as Alcantara was all his years in the system to crazy numbers that he put up last year in the minors.  I agree with you about Soler but I do see him as a Sept call up this year since he is on the 40 man roster.  My only point is that we should not trade an established player of Starlin's skill for some unproven players b/c we have Alcantara in the minors.  

#15 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

If we were to trade Starlin Castro, this front office would not accept unproven players. Alcantara has never been a fringe prospect, he's always hovered around #20 since being drafted (depending on which website you look at) until the past two years where he's broken the top 15 and currently #8 according to Jonathan Mayo (whose list also includes our Texas acquisitions).

AAA

2B Alcantara (S)

CF Watkins (L) / Ha

SS Baez

3B Villanueva

1B Gamel (L) / Rohan

RF Giansanti or roster stash

LF Jackson (L) / Sappelt

C FA / Boscan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).