King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

I am not at work today so there.

What season featured the most games played by the Cubs and how many games was it?

#2 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

1998 when the cubs had the one game playoff against the giants, number of games 163

#3 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

If we are counting playoffs then 2003 would be my guess with, 174 games for the entire year

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'll guess 2007 since you didn't say regular season.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Ok, regular season games only. (or at least what B-Ref lists as games played (which appears to be non-playoff, but may include end of season tiebreaker games))

Ya'll are wrong.

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

OK, someone answer this one correctly because I want to know how this happened. I looked up which season it is.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

OK, someone answer this one correctly because I want to know how this happened. I looked up which season it is.

What is even more strange is their record indicates a regular season but the game log gives the extra games.

#8 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

I looked it up as well, did they use to replay tied games?

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

They had two games that ended in a tie.

Link

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

They had two games that ended in a tie, but the schedule was still only 162 games. So they must of replayed those games to get to 164.

#11 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

The games called on account of darkness were not "suspended". They played the whole game over. I know I mentioned this before, but I was at the opening day game that year when they tied the cardinals. I remember Banks homered in the 9th to tie the game. When they finally called the game a few innings later, the fans threw all kinds of crap out onto the field. When my little brother, probably only about 6 years old at the time tried to throw a paper cup onto the field (we were in the left field bleachers) - some old guy blocked his arm as he started to throw it - and my little bro started screaming in pain. I never saw my Mom so upset in all my life. She really let the stranger have it. That game was my birthday present!

#12 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

I wasn't there, but I looked up the game. http://www.baseball-...196504120.shtml

The Cubs were down by 3 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with nobody on base. Then Santo walked, Altman singled and Banks homered. Wow!

The Cardinals scored in the top of the 11th, but the Cubs matched them, and the game was called. It must have been exiting.

#13 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

The games called on account of darkness were not "suspended". They played the whole game over. I know I mentioned this before, but I was at the opening day game that year when they tied the cardinals. I remember Banks homered in the 9th to tie the game. When they finally called the game a few innings later, the fans threw all kinds of crap out onto the field. When my little brother, probably only about 6 years old at the time tried to throw a paper cup onto the field (we were in the left field bleachers) - some old guy blocked his arm as he started to throw it - and my little bro started screaming in pain. I never saw my Mom so upset in all my life. She really let the stranger have it. That game was my birthday present!

I work with a guy who grew up in the Chicago Area. He tells the story that on Tuesdays it would be Ladies day at the park and they would get in free. So his mom would take him and his brother in the summer and even pack a few sandwiches to eat at the park! Man that what they must mean by the "good ole days". 

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#14 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

I wasn't there, but I looked up the game. http://www.baseball-...196504120.shtml

The Cubs were down by 3 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with nobody on base. Then Santo walked, Altman singled and Banks homered. Wow!

The Cardinals scored in the top of the 11th, but the Cubs matched them, and the game was called. It must have been exiting.

Man, I didn't recall that it was a 3 run shot, I just remember how things just got nuts when Ernie stepped up to bat.  When he homered we were almost in tears we were so happy!

#15 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

I work with a guy who grew up in the Chicago Area. He tells the story that on Tuesdays it would be Ladies day at the park and they would get in free. So his mom would take him and his brother in the summer and even pack a few sandwiches to eat at the park! Man that what they must mean by the "good ole days". 

For some reason, I remember the Ladies day games being on Wednesday, but you're probably right.  We went a many times and ALWAYS packed food and a cooler (with Kool-Aid).  My mom used to fry chicken sometimes, but it was usually sandwiches.   Man, she loved the Cubs and the food was great... but I still secretly wanted a hot dog. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).