#1 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Something has to give with the infield.  I believe trades are coming with some of the Cubs top prospects and I think its coming with either Baez or Alcantara.  The contract makes Soler a non-option, management seems focused on keeping Almora (and don't get me wrong, I see why), and Bryant looks like he's the real deal.  Both Alcantara and Baez are pre-Theo draftees and I believe at least one, if not both, will be traded.  I think both are worth a lot right now.  So here's the type of deal I'd like to see.

Alcantara (solid prospect/top 50ish), Vogs (fringe top 100/organizational top 10), Szczur (throw in prospect/fringe MLB roster guy, could be Jackson, Vitters, Watson, etc), and Barney (proven major leaguer/not a star)

for CarGo (I love CarGO, lefty with power, just won the gold glove, young (turned 28 this month) and the outfield prospects are probably the farthest away)

I think some people would argue that's too much and some will think the Rockies will never agree to a deal like this so I want to hear what people think.

Also, I put in no pitching prospects for two reasons.  One, there aren't that many really good ones and, two, the Rockies want position players.

#2 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

I think you are right about the guys who could be traded and for the reasons you said and for the type of return you suggested and I like cargo so ya I agree.

#3 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

But also, I only expect a trade like this if the cubs land tanaka or some other big name this offseason (elsbury/choo). The strategy is going to either be see if all or most of the prospects pan out, or focus on 1 or 2 of them and then use the others to land a big name in conjunction with a signing to make 2014/2015 more competitive as opposed to 2015-2017

#4 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

I love Cargo and people will always give reasons to not trade for him with his splits and always hurt. But if you look at possible trade candidates, theres always seems to be something wrong with them. Stanton has bad knees, Price is decreasing velocity and arm problems, etc. Eventually they will trade for someone but everyone will have some flaw. 

I am all for the rebuild process and love the stockpiling of talent, but fans have to realize that prospects don't always make it or not what they are expected to be. Cargo, I feel, is the safest bet in regards to a big trade. He's controlled for 4 years and a good price for his ability, he's 28 and although often injured, he still puts up very good numbers. 

This offseason is tricky, because I believe if they make a major splash for a top player, it wouldn't make sense to trade shark anytime soon since they will be trying to compete. If they don't think they can re-sign him, I don't believe they try for any big name players and continue to stockpile by trading Shark. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).