#16 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Also, I just shake my head thinking about how stupid most of these guys *should* feel in about three years when the Cubs are consistently good and look poised for a bright future (full of spending, too). But they won't feel stupid - they'll either disappear, or act like things played out precisely how they projected somehow.

#17 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

here is a "home" connection there:

I grew up on a four-lane highway. Lots of trucks. Lots of traffic. I used to have these spells every so often as a child where like the ceiling of the room was in normal perspective, but the doorway would appear much farther away than it was. Coupled with this, all noises seemed muffled and distant, particularly the traffic moving on the wet or snow-covered pavement. I was really in another world. I finally worked up the courage to tell my mother and father about it, and Mom made Dad take me to the eye doctor. I love them both. "I can hear the wheels of the automobiles....... So far away.......... Moving along through the drifting snow."
~John Prine

Thanks for that, IR.  I never knew that.

My introduction to that tune was when the lead singer/guitarist of the band I used to work for booked a solo gig at Martyr's.  Out on tour he had recently been working on this little Cm lick while tweaking the volume knob during soundchecks that was just lovely, but never went beyond work throughs.  It wasn't until his solo band busted out Storm Windows that I heard that lick in context, and combined with those lyrics, it's never really left my ears.  I borrowed all of his Prine albums after that gig.  I even managed to return some of them.

#18 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Take five straight years of suck, and a plan that stays the course (and is necessarily very unexciting to the masses), and this is the result. That the site is more popular now than it once was only increases the volume - but five out of ten comments were going to be bile whether there were 100 comments or 1000.

I get around a fair bit, and this is the culture of the online Cubs world in 2013.

When the Cubs become competitive on the field again, that ratio will slide to 3 or 2 out of 10, because a huge number of the meatballs won't be blindly bitching - they'll be discussing the games and the roster. I leave it to you whether that's any better, and there will always be some stupid venom wherever you allow people to speak.

Oh I know and fully understand, I've just been in a catharsis mode and had to get this out. BN is still better than any other Cubs sites (today has been good) and once we start winning everything will change. I'm just glad I have the MB to get this off my chest.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#19 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:basenarcissist
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

I love the comments, but I like to argue. I just spent about 8 posts defending my position that the Blue Jays didn't decide to not extend a qualifying offer to Josh Johnson because they have too much payroll elsewhere to sign any pitcher to that much money in 2014.

Where else can I do that? Nobody I know cares. I don't even care.

Shit, I'm part of the problem ain't I?

To paraphrase: I have met the enemy, and he is me.

#20 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

I love the comments, but I like to argue. 

No, you don't.

#21 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

My introduction to that tune was when the lead singer/guitarist of the band I used to work for booked a solo gig at Martyr's.  Out on tour he had recently been working on this little Cm lick while tweaking the volume knob during soundchecks that was just lovely, but never went beyond work throughs.  It wasn't until his solo band busted out Storm Windows that I heard that lick in context, and combined with those lyrics, it's never really left my ears.  I borrowed all of his Prine albums after that gig.  I even managed to return some of them.

That story is much better than my introduction to the song. I got Live on Tour in 1997 and was dumbstruck when I heard that track. This, even though I had the album Storm Windows for years before that.  Somehow I managed not to pay much attention to it before Live on Tour. It's been one of my favorites since then.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#22 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:basenarcissist
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

I love the comments, but I like to argue. 

No, you don't.

Yes I do.

#23 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

I like it when Brett unleashes the THUNDER... Dick the cardinal in the dick and their fans and fuck you Boston because DOUCHEBAGGERY.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#24 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

Jesus, the Cubs need to do something, ANYTHING here soon.  Or at least put out a press release that they almost signed someone.

#25 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

I've come to the realization that Die hard is like the song by The Proclaimers "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" on How I met your Mother. You hate it at first then it starts to grow on you, but after that you come full circle back to hating it all over again.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#26 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

WHAT THE FUCK!
That's all I got going to be a long long long annoying year!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#27 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

Meh.

Don't take it too seriously.  It's just the internet.

#28 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Sometimes I like the hiatus I take daily from the comments.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#29 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:07 AM

For me, it's a chance to passionately debate about something.  There are very few people I know in life that are as passionate about the Cubs as I am and nowhere else I can go to have intelligent discussions.

I've said it before, I REALLY wish there was a BN for other areas where you could have an honest discussion and debate.

#30 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

For me, it's a chance to passionately debate about something.  There are very few people I know in life that are as passionate about the Cubs as I am and nowhere else I can go to have intelligent discussions.

I've said it before, I REALLY wish there was a BN for other areas where you could have an honest discussion and debate.

Isn't that what the message board is for?

I'll start, ACA sucks. ::ducks::

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).