hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Ok, so this weekend we are finally ditching cable.

I'd like to still record over the air shows similar to a dvr and have a desktop that is just sitting around. TV tuner card?

What do you folks recommend?

#2 udbrky

udbrky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:udbrky

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

I haven't used one in a while, but Hauppage

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

I haven't used one in a while, but Hauppage

I've seen them all over and wasn't sure. It wasn't a video board I had heard of

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

The last time I looked into them (many years ago) Hauppage was on my list.

But I really haven't looked over the options lately enough to recommend anything with any kind of confidence.  If I were looking now, I'd probably start by seeing if Asus had anything in that line.  And probably buy it if they did.  

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

We cut the cord last month, and rather than try to record over-the-air shows, we just watch them on Hulu or the station site, since they are all available there.

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

This sounds more and more prevalent. We would probably do it as well, but we are under contract for another year and will be moving soon which will cause us to sign another 2 year contract so the installation at the new place is free. I did just go through and decrease our channel line-up to save us ~$30 per month. Still it's way too expensive with all the other options available out there. I would have loved to cut the cord with the move, but I guess we will have it for another couple of years.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

Good topic.

Not many (any) off the shelf, good, Tivo-style DVR's. I use hauppauge tuner connecting an olde OTA roof antenna to an oldish PC (20-30 OTA stations, mostly HD in my locale). This link is for Staples, I got mine at BestBuy. It works well (for under a hundred bucks) but it gets a little hot when in use.

I am still looking for a more elegant solution. (I use Hulu, et al, too. Those are great for non-local stuff.)

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

Will have to look into HULU.  We have Netflix and we also signed up for Amazon Prime which I'm not thrilled at how few "Prime" (i.e. free) shows you can watch on there.

#9 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

We sold our TV at a yard sale 7 years ago and have never looked back.  Where we live, on the rural coast, there was never any reception without paying for cable anyway.

We catch our 'TV', when we watch it, via Hulu, or via Netflix.  Sure, they're not live, but I don't feel a real cultural bond over watching Parks & Rec at the same time as millions of others.  It certainly makes us somewhat anachronistic in the grand scheme of things, but most of our scene is in the same boat.  Plus, we're usually all partying together -- eating, drinking, laughing, playing music, playing games, or camping.  There's no time for TV.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

Will have to look into HULU.  We have Netflix and we also signed up for Amazon Prime which I'm not thrilled at how few "Prime" (i.e. free) shows you can watch on there.

We also have Prime, and I do use it quite a bit, but we already had it for the free shipping. So the shows/movies are just a nice bonus.

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Oh, also, if you do Hulu, my advice is don't bother paying for Hulu+. It doesn't offer you much more, especially if you're cool with watching on your computer. If you're not, you can get a Chromecast and somewhat simulate the tv-watching experience.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

FWIW, ditching the TV is also made easier if you cough up the scratch for mlb.tv and/or have your brother's NFL Sunday Ticket login credentials.

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

So, how do we go about getting your brother's NFL Sunday Ticket login credentials?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

So, how do we go about getting your brother's NFL Sunday Ticket login credentials?

Heh.  Well, for starters, don't let him know I use it...

#15 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

Oh, also, if you do Hulu, my advice is don't bother paying for Hulu+. It doesn't offer you much more, especially if you're cool with watching on your computer. If you're not, you can get a Chromecast and somewhat simulate the tv-watching experience.

That's where I think I will use my computer.  Get the best of both worlds.

Heh.  Well, for starters, don't let him know I use it...

So now, we just need to figure out who he is and blackmail you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).