#1 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

http://sports.yahoo....50471--nfl.html

The post I made about a year ago is only 5 -10 behind this one.  But my feelings towards the sport are much more developed and concrete.  Football is bad.  I don't care about excessive celebrations or the joy it brought 30 years ago.  I simply wish it was gone and my boy never has an interest in it. 

#2 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Football is BAD

Mm'kay. /Mr. Mackey

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

I know I'm in the the minority but I agree with you.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

YESSSS!!! I totally agree with you. Just yesterday at work, I had an epic argument with a co-worker after seeing a news story about the Dolphins player accused of bullying I said "another reason why baseball is better than football". Oh man the kick back I got. "Yeah and baseball is full of angles" yada yada yada. From the drone fans to the knuckle draggers that play the game, football is bad. 

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

5 years ago, heck 3 years ago, I would have never thought that I would feel the way I do about football, but I hope that my son doesn't ever play football again. Last year was his first year and it was only flag, but there were a lot of injuries even then. This year he wanted to play again and he was going to be moving up to tackle. We conveniently *forgot* to sign him up. I used to play and loved it and was pretty good. I even had a few college offers, but I never want to see my kids go through what I went through with it. I still have a banged up knee, ankle and shoulder from it. Looking back at it, I wonder how many times that I thought I just got my *bell rung* and actually suffered a concussion. I know for sure I delivered a few to others as well. There are a couple of times I know for sure I gave kids concussions and that was just practice. The main one I am thinking about stopped his football life forever.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

I have alwasy loved football, and I coached Varsity for 14 years(I know you are happy for me)...but I have been all over this CTE thing for the last few years...when I called into the Score two years ago to voice my concerns about CTE, Dan McNeil called me out on the air and didn't believe I coached...they googled me and found one of our state title pictures...it was funny

quick story, kid I coached played in the NFL for 4 years...long story short, there was a guy on his team he mentioned called "skillet"...we asked him, "why do they call him skillet?"..."oh, because he beat a guy to death with a frying pan at a party in college"...

The NFL is bad, it's played by many guys who would be in jail or worse if they didn't play the game, and these stories of guys like Tony Dorsett with CTE break my heart...and "League of Denial" just made me angry at the NFL doctors and Goodell even more...

My son won't play.  A lot of your sons won't play. I see a day where it may be out of the high schools, but there is too much money for it to go away completely...

#7 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

Football players don't even get guaranteed contracts. That is why they are always looking for so much money as a signing bonus. I think the league takes advantage of most of the players who are not stars, and college football does the same. I hear about athletes taking these bogus classes and not finding a job afterwards if they are not drafted. But there is the other side as well, college football and professional football does offer an opportunity for some players to improve their situations and some of them are good guys.

#8 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

they have the worst union in the world...awful...has sold them out numerous times...

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

The NFL is going to have a real problem on there hands shortly. With all of the concussion caused problems players are suffering they have tweaked the rules to try and avoid the vicious head shots, but that forces the defense to go low on players and we are seeing many more knee injuries that either end seasons or in the worst cases end careers.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

I don't understand what the big deal is.  Aren't professional athletes solely playthings engineered and equipped for our entertainment?  Don't they just get fed to the lions when we're done with them?

#11 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

The popularity pendulum is going to swing back the other way on football eventually, with or without the encephalopathy controversy... but I can see this speeding it up and swinging it higher on the other side than it might otherwise have gone.

There are a lot of football "fans" who watch it now because it's the in thing. You could say the same thing about American Idol.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#12 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

I blame fantasy football for NFL's popularity. I only somewhat kid. My wife spends have the time watching football looking down at her phone to see her score incrementally go up. I'm sure she isn't the only one out there. I really don't see the point in checking those scores until after the week is finished.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#13 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

I watched bits of the Monday night game and saw two concussions.  The only comment on them was - "Oh, getting a concussion that way sucks".  As if they were talking about stubbing your toe or getting a paper cut.

#14 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

I watched bits of the Monday night game and saw two concussions.  The only comment on them was - "Oh, getting a concussion that way sucks".  As if they were talking about stubbing your toe or getting a paper cut.

I bet they were actually talking about their team losing a player for a week or two.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#15 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

I bet they were actually talking about their team losing a player for a week or two.

This.

I also don't get the fasination that football is so much faster paced.  I saw both coaches faces enough to be able to pick them out of a lineup blindfolded. 

30 seconds of butt scratching

3 seconds for an incomplete pass

45 seconds of butt scratching

4 seconds for a 3 yard run

timeout - 4 minutes for a commercial

30 seconds of butt scratching

4 seconds for a 10 yard pass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).