Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Sort of disappointed the BCS people rewarded Ohio State with a softball bowl against Clemson.  I was hoping they'd get Alabama or Oklahoma just to see how large the spread got.

#32 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:30 AM

Love the sport, hate the effect on players.  But we would have to walk such a thin line between safety and entertainment.  People love the big hits.

#33 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

Everyone knows about the terrible things the Muslim faith is doing and saying around the world, yet theses comedians subjectively choose to ignore it. Political correctness - or fear of being called a racist - allows them to ignore the truth, while hyperbolizing the irrelevant.

The Incognito happenings are a non-story. "Bully" is the new "racist". Enough already.

Morken?  Is that you?  Long-time no see!

#34 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Everyone knows about the terrible things the Muslim faith is doing and saying around the world, yet theses comedians subjectively choose to ignore it. Political correctness - or fear of being called a racist - allows them to ignore the truth, while hyperbolizing the irrelevant.
The Incognito happenings are a non-story. "Bully" is the new "racist". Enough already.

Hmmm I do think we've seen Sans before, he holds quite the grudge.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#35 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hmmm I do think we've seen Sans before, he holds quite the grudge.

No way.  Morken was a total twat.  This sans kid is just a sad loner.

#36 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

I guess I am not seeing the difference.

#37 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Morken was more acerbic, more definitive, and used fewer words to get to his (purposely, purposefully, painful) point. I don't recall him inventing a popular mob of support ("everyone knows"), and I don't believe he ever used the word "among" much less "amongst."

(But what do I know? I was stumped by our search feature when I was trying to confirm that last bit.) 

#38 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Morken was more acerbic, more definitive, and used fewer words to get to his (purposely, purposefully, painful) point. I don't recall him inventing a popular mob of support ("everyone knows"), and I don't believe he ever used the word "among" much less "amongst."
(But what do I know? I was stumped by our search feature when I was trying to confirm that last bit.)

If "amongst"* is not outright non-standard American English, when Americans use it, it comes off either as (1) affected and pedantic (if someone otherwise intelligent uses it), or (2) an embarrassing attempt to seem educated.

It reminds me of the people who think that "myself" is just a more sophisticated way of saying "me". The words aren't interchangeable. (For those who aren't grammar nerds and don't want to sound like asses, if you think either word might work, use "me" and you'll be fine.)

*I note in typing this that Chrome (with the U.S. English setting) appropriately flags "amongst" as misspelled.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#39 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

I could do without Sans.

Tee hee hee

#40 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

So I don't "watch" football, but to see some of my good friends I go and hangout with them during MNF. Every week there is a drawing for $25 gift certificate, which I won twice this year, and at the end of each month they give away a TV. With each TV getting bigger than the previous one. This past Monday I took home the final TV of the season which was a 46" Magnovox 1080 LED. Oh yeah football is BAD mmmmmkayy. 

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#41 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

http://sportsillustr...sion/?eref=sihp

This article made me sick to my stomach.  No respect or honor for the NFL at this point.

#42 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

My antipathy to the NFL is steadily approaching visceral disgust towards those who continue to support it.

#43 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

My antipathy to the NFL is steadily approaching visceral disgust towards those who continue to support it.

Yeah it get hard to support a game that ignores it's players health, on a positive side Northwestern players are trying to unionize. Soon we will start hearing about college players that never made any NFL that are suffering from post-concussion symptoms.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#44 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

Yeah it get hard to support a game that ignores it's players health, on a positive side Northwestern players are trying to unionize. Soon we will start hearing about college players that never made any NFL that are suffering from post-concussion symptoms.

A lot of good the NFL Players union is doing.

It still baffles me why people sign up their 7 and 8-year olds for tackle football.  My wife, even, would be ok with my son playing yet freaks out every time his seat belt isn't suffocating him.

#45 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

A lot of good the NFL Players union is doing.

It still baffles me why people sign up their 7 and 8-year olds for tackle football.  My wife, even, would be ok with my son playing yet freaks out every time his seat belt isn't suffocating him.
Yup it's the only rule I'll have for Jr... no football. My nuerogist showed me a MRI of a patient with minor issues as a result of repeated concussions in college... scary. Then she showed me a scan of a former NFL player who is seriously suffering (and part of the law suits that are happening) and his brain is dead in so many spots. It's a disgusting sport and the risks are so great. Google MRI Concussion images and see how serve it can become.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).