Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

HELP - how difficult was it to sell Cubs seats in 2013?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 max

max

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

My place in line finally came up - just my luck that it happens this year, not next :)

Seeing as many of you are obvious STHs, can anyone give me some insight on how difficult it was to sell seats last year?  At most I'd be able to make it to 15-20 games a year (I live in Wisconsin), so I would need to be able to move seats - preferably at face value.

At the risk of creating one more competitor (in a giant blue sea of them), can anyone let me know how they fared in 2013?  I don't see our team being a whole lot more competitive (given the current outfield situation, it could be even less until Bryant/Baez show up) in 2014.  Were you folks able to get rid of the seats?  And did you take advantage STH first rights to special Wrigley events?

Thanks!!!
-Max

#2 soupcravings

soupcravings

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:@princedward1

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

not a season ticket holder I actually just signed up about two months ago. two months in and I am still 94,479th in line. I was wondering how long it took for you to get the call? also to answer the question it would probably be a good investment, I haven't seen wrigley empty so often in a long time I don't think it will last long..although that is just my opinion an actual season ticket holder would probably have better advice. 

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:47 AM

Soup, the waiting list is measured in years, not months.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 max

max

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

I'm honestly not sure when I signed up ... but my best guess is 2001 (when I was 12).  So yes, it takes quite a while ... if my estimation is current, it's taken HALF my life!

Soup - any interest in owning part of my season tickets while you wait?

Any STHs out there with advice on last year's market?  It would be brutal to pass this up ... but at the same time, I can't afford to take a huge loss on the 60 or so games I wouldn't attend. (darn student loans).

#5 soupcravings

soupcravings

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:@princedward1

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

A possibility, could you shoot me an email at sportsman019@aol.com ?

#6 NorthSideIrish

NorthSideIrish

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

I've been a STH for five years and honestly, it is a bit of a mixed bag. The April games are always going to be a hard sell and the past few years, the last six weeks of the season are difficult to sell too. Weekend games from mid-May until August usually sell, and the summer night games will too. But there are so many tickets available on StubHub that there are very few games for which you will get full face value. Plus StubHub takes 15% too.

A big part of it is location too...our first year, the seats were pretty far down the line and they didn't sell very well. We've moved up each year and we are in the first row of the upper deck just behind 3B. These sell much better than in past years. 

When we got on the waiting list, we had eight people who said they were in. Seven years later when we got called, we only had four. We lost two more before last season, but added one new guy this season. Your best bet is to find some people to split the pain with or find an existing group to join.

Sorry if this makes it sound scary! We have lost money each year, but we look at it as an investment that will pay off when the team is good again. 

Let us know what you decide...

#7 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

Yep, going on my 3rd year as a STH. It's work to sell the tickets. It's doable but dont expect to profit and dont expect to break even. Both years I came in around 60%ish in money back making it at least somewhat affordable to keep the two seats I have going. 

#8 lapdawg

lapdawg

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Last year was my first as a STH (after 8 yrs on the list) . I'm in a similar position where i live 2.5 hrs away.

Reselling tickets will be very difficult for you barring the miracle of the tem being competitive in 2014. The biggest problem is that because of availability your tickets will almost certainly end up being either:

A) upper deck box
B) lower deck field box way down the lines
C) bleacher seats

The upper deck box seas are great to watch a game from but tough to sell on the Internet because they are pricey and most people will look at the fact that they are in the 400 level and mistakenly think they're too high up.

The field box seats that are available are even more expensive and actually not great seats (the infield ones won't be available). They may sell a little better on the internet because they are in the 100 level. I wouldn't count on it though.

Bleacher seats are cheaper but too oversupplied to sell well.

If you want to get seats and not lose your place on the waiting list, I'd recommend either getting the nights/weekend package so you can attend a higher percentage of the games and not lose your place or getting a couple of the best seats you can afford and share your tix to cut the losses. I split with two other friends last year and went to around 15/27 games, gave few away to friends, sold a few, and ate a few.

Like the above poster said, if you buy them and can't go, plan on a net loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).