25 replies to this topic

#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

You would think that a fan base that has waited for over 100 years for a championship would have enough patience to give a new front office more than a month to deliver. I realize all teams have impatient fans, but this is just sad.

I guess it speaks more to our instant gratification society than anything else. It saddens me to watch these "fans" post. I will now retreat into my little Puppet Cave, smoke my pipe, and contemplate the wonders of the universe.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hey pass that pipe this way.

I agree completely, after screaming for the head of Mr. Quick Fix, Large-Unfullfilled Contract, Win Now, What's a Farm System, Pass the Burger, Milton's the Answer, I Made One Great Trade, Hendry the rabid fan base is mad because The Theo and Jed Show won't do the same thing. This is Einstein's definition of insanity.

It also is a testament to the impact and reach BN has achieved. Last year this was a small community with 20 post being a record now anything below 100 is odd.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:39 AM

A certain new commenter is bothering me more than ... the two others. I didn't think that would be possible.

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but trades still happen into spring training, heck sometimes after Opening Day. If I see one more post bitching about "The Roster as it currently stands", I'm gonna give someone such a splinter!!

:angry:

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

A certain new commenter is bothering me more than ... the two others. I didn't think that would be possible.

Yeah...... He really..... Knows..... Cubs FaNs are owned a Weeiner....... My Mutha once Slaped me for bein Happpy..... Fuck you Theo for buying a Hose, you should be in a boxx until we Wein it all.....

Can't see how he could be annoying

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#6 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

I'm fairly new here and since I've joined the site i have noticed A LOT of new users and some are rather irratinol, and get on my nerves very easily. But I'm going to try to stop slapping on the troll label because it doesn't help any and makes me look bad.

I just hope this site doesn't turn into the Cubs.com message board... yikes.

#7 Brian in San Diego

Brian in San Diego

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

I am with you, Phil. I am very new here and found this place as the best place to read very intelligent and logical posts. I can see myself being impatient with new FO, but I will hold it as long as it makes this site better and CUBS better eventually.

#8 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

That's the spirit Brian. Remember, it took them several years to get as bad as they were last year. It is not unreasonable to expect it to take a couple of years for them to get back to being a good team.

#9 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

You would think that a fan base that has waited for over 100 years for a championship would have enough patience to give a new front office more than a month to deliver. I realize all teams have impatient fans, but this is just sad.

I think that there's no small measure of impossibly heightened expectations being realized.

Remember early October?

"Ha, yeah... Ned Colletti. He'd be okay-ish. Oh, yeah, Kim Ng, maybe her, too. And Rick Hahn, he's probably the guy."

"What about Theo?"

"BWAA-HA-HA-HA!"

But then we actually got Theo. And to many, that indicated that the Cubs were going to win the World Series right away, and that was gonna happen REALSOON. And when we didn't immediately go from a 5th place finish to favorites to win everything that made a bunch of people/armchair GMs all pissy. And feeling entitled.

Nevertheless, Ace's "shit or get off the pot" article this morning is certainly fair. We fans may not be entitled to a championship, but we should have the right to know the direction our club is taking.

I will now retreat into my little Puppet Cave, smoke my pipe, and contemplate the wonders of the universe.

Phillip, DO let me know next time you're in my neck of the woods, eh?

#10 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

great stuff phil...to sit here on December 20th and say "can't wait until 2013" is so so stupid...they are a few moves from being watchable...that's allI I am asking for...

#11 farmerjon

farmerjon

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Kinda new here too, so I hope your not talking about me Brett. Love the sight and info, is it possible to block certain users from our individual feed? Just something to think about, might alleviate some of the frustration with certain users have with others. Anyway, thanks for all the hard work and keep the posts coming. Jon

#12 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

I don't think that they necessarily have to go in one direction or the other. With some fairly un-movable contracts, and the ability to carry a high payroll, they can try to "win now" while still building other assets. I think that the building of those assets is going to take time and the moves that will be made in the mean time are going to be of the "ho hum" variety, and a lot of fans aren't going to like it. The good thing about that is, you can already tell who the "fairweather" fans are, and you know to take most of what they say with a grain or five of salt, and not get offended when their ignorance tries to drag you down.

#13 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

I don't think that they necessarily have to go in one direction or the other. With some fairly un-movable contracts, and the ability to carry a high payroll, they can try to "win now" while still building other assets. I think that the building of those assets is going to take time and the moves that will be made in the mean time are going to be of the "ho hum" variety, and a lot of fans aren't going to like it. The good thing about that is, you can already tell who the "fairweather" fans are, and you know to take most of what they say with a grain or five of salt, and not get offended when their ignorance tries to drag you down.

I really hate to admit this but, that is one of my fears of winning a WS. The fairweather bandwagoners. I mean I used to like the Red Sox but the fans have become unbearable the last few years. I would hate to see that happen to the Cubs.

#14 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

I really hate to admit this but, that is one of my fears of winning a WS. The fairweather bandwagoners. I mean I used to like the Red Sox but the fans have become unbearable the last few years. I would hate to see that happen to the Cubs.

I second that fear. You can already see the ones who are going to be the worst about it, they're currently posting about how Epstein hasn't done enough to turn the team into champs yet. If the team is mediocre this year, they'll go away for a while. It's a price I'd gladly pay, besides, how much worse can they be than the White Sox fans were?

#15 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

I second that fear. You can already see the ones who are going to be the worst about it, they're currently posting about how Epstein hasn't done enough to turn the team into champs yet. If the team is mediocre this year, they'll go away for a while. It's a price I'd gladly pay, besides, how much worse can they be than the White Sox fans were?

Right there with you guys, can you imagine how much the main board will look if we don't win every single year... The HORROR

MichiganGoat on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).