Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

I don't think that they necessarily have to go in one direction or the other. With some fairly un-movable contracts, and the ability to carry a high payroll, they can try to "win now" while still building other assets. I think that the building of those assets is going to take time and the moves that will be made in the mean time are going to be of the "ho hum" variety, and a lot of fans aren't going to like it. The good thing about that is, you can already tell who the "fairweather" fans are, and you know to take most of what they say with a grain or five of salt, and not get offended when their ignorance tries to drag you down.

I really hate to admit this but, that is one of my fears of winning a WS. The fairweather bandwagoners. I mean I used to like the Red Sox but the fans have become unbearable the last few years. I would hate to see that happen to the Cubs.

I second that fear. You can already see the ones who are going to be the worst about it, they're currently posting about how Epstein hasn't done enough to turn the team into champs yet. If the team is mediocre this year, they'll go away for a while. It's a price I'd gladly pay, besides, how much worse can they be than the White Sox fans were?

Right there with you guys, can you imagine how much the main board will look if we don't win every single year... The HORROR

Thanks goodness I didn't really have to live around White Sox Fans, the thought about turns my stomach. Can the board get worse?

#17 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:29 AM

I don't think that they necessarily have to go in one direction or the other. With some fairly un-movable contracts, and the ability to carry a high payroll, they can try to "win now" while still building other assets. I think that the building of those assets is going to take time and the moves that will be made in the mean time are going to be of the "ho hum" variety, and a lot of fans aren't going to like it. The good thing about that is, you can already tell who the "fairweather" fans are, and you know to take most of what they say with a grain or five of salt, and not get offended when their ignorance tries to drag you down.

I really hate to admit this but, that is one of my fears of winning a WS. The fairweather bandwagoners. I mean I used to like the Red Sox but the fans have become unbearable the last few years. I would hate to see that happen to the Cubs.

I second that fear. You can already see the ones who are going to be the worst about it, they're currently posting about how Epstein hasn't done enough to turn the team into champs yet. If the team is mediocre this year, they'll go away for a while. It's a price I'd gladly pay, besides, how much worse can they be than the White Sox fans were?

Right there with you guys, can you imagine how much the main board will look if we don't win every single year... The HORROR

Thanks goodness I didn't really have to live around White Sox Fans, the thought about turns my stomach. Can the board get worse?

Much.

#18 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:29 AM

Think of all the people that would come out and say, " Oh yeah man I've been a Cubs fan for years, but never told anybody"
It would be ridiculous.
That same thing happened around here when the Red Sox won, it was/is unbearable. I hate seeing people jump on a bandwagon when a team wins. but at the same time it's fun to watch them squirm when you ask them questions about the team and they get that blank look on their face.

#19 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

A couple years ago (when the Cubs were actually good, and were a trendy preseason World Series pick) I actually made a rather strange ultimatum. I said that if the Cubs actually won a World Series, I would stop watching, following and reading anything to do with the Cubs, and sports in general, for a full year. I'm not sure if I would still stand by this (because it has become somewhat of a moot point (I'll shave my head if Koyie Hill wins the batting title!)).

My thought process is that, if and when the Cubs win a world series, I will be so fulfilled, that I will be able to just stand up and walk away from the table. Enjoy the feeling while it lasts. This would probably be impossible for me to force myself to do, and I may never find out, but ideally, this is how it would happen.

#20 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

I'm not sure if I would still stand by this (because it has become somewhat of a moot point (I'll shave my head if Koyie Hill wins the batting title!)).

My thought process is that, if and when the Cubs win a world series, I will be so fulfilled, that I will be able to just stand up and walk away from the table. Enjoy the feeling while it lasts. This would probably be impossible for me to force myself to do, and I may never find out, but ideally, this is how it would happen.

I like what you're saying here, kid. I kinda wish I had done the something after my first Dead show. Or after I beat The Legend of Zelda in 1988. Sure you could start a new quest, but it's never the same.

And I gotta give you a huge electronic high five for using the phrase "moot point". If I have to hear one more asshole say "mute point" I'm gonna slap someone. Hard.

#21 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

I'm not sure if I would still stand by this (because it has become somewhat of a moot point (I'll shave my head if Koyie Hill wins the batting title!)).

I like what you're saying here, kid. I kinda wish I had done the something after my first Dead show. Or after I beat The Legend of Zelda in 1988. Sure you could start a new quest, but it's never the same.

And I gotta give you a huge electronic high five for using the phrase "moot point". If I have to hear one more asshole say "mute point" I'm gonna slap someone. Hard.

Thanks, pops. Electronic high five back, "moot point" is used so colloquially, you'd think people would take the time to learn to spell it. It's pronounced differently, for crypes sake!

#22 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

Much.

Prophetic.

#23 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:25 AM

This minute rice is taking too damn long! Does anyone have a quicker recipe?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#24 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Start a fire on top of the pan, that way the water will heat from both directions.

#25 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

Fuck yeah! I urge all rice fans to boycot rice until the Ricetts (owners of rice) open up thier pocketbooks and pay for top tier chef that can get rice cooked in 30 seconds. As a long time and committed rice fan I need quicker rice now! Theo Ricestien was able to to get a hot dog cooked in under a minute in Boston, it's time he get rice done NOW. Forget all this science and research shit, get me 30 sec rice now or everyone need to boycott the rice.

So you saying something like that Phil?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#26 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

Fuck yeah! I urge all rice fans to boycot rice until the Ricetts (owners of rice) open up thier pocketbooks and pay for top tier chef that can get rice cooked in 30 seconds. As a long time and committed rice fan I need quicker rice now! Theo Ricestien was able to to get a hot dog cooked in under a minute in Boston, it's time he get rice done NOW. Forget all this science and research shit, get me 30 sec rice now or everyone need to boycott the rice.

So you saying something like that Phil?

Something like that. I was trying to keep mine short and informative. ;)
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).