Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

2014 Salary Look...will Cubs be punting?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

There has been much talk of the "plan" the last few days here on BN, and there has been debate to wether 2015 or 2016 are seen as realistic "breakthrough" years.  I decided to examine one aspect that could be a determinent...the Cubs payroll in 2014.

Here is what I have:

MONEY SET IN STONE: 14M to Soriano, EJax 13M, Castro 5.85M, Villanueva 5M, Kyuji Hurt-Reliever 4.5M, Russell 2.6M, Rizzo 1.5M, Sweeney 1.5M, Minor Leaguers getting major league money Soler 2.6M & Concepcion(yuck) 1.5M

total money set in stone: 52.05 million

VARIABLE MONIES(ARB GUYS & pre-ARB guys)- these guys are all ARB eligible or pre -ARB...and I am going to guestimate what their 14 numbers will look like based on 13 $

Castillo .6M, Valbuena 1.3 M?, Barney 2.0M?, Lake .49M, Schierholtz 4M?, Vizcaino .51M, Murphy .7M, Strop 1.5 M, Arrieta 1.5M...the real tough ones Samardzija 7-8M?, Wood 5-6 M?

I am not even sure if these are great guesses, and maybe you guys can chime in on closer ARB predictions, but conservatively I will say estimated remaining contracts totally guestimated: around 26M...

So that's about 78 Million committed to 16 Roster players and 5 players hurt, gone or in the minors.  The good news, depending on the ARB numbers accuracy, there is some $ to put into 2014 salaries.  Even if I am off by 5-10 million on ARB raises, there will still be some room.  However, these numbers made me draw some other conclusions:

1. TRADE BARNEY NOW!

2.  listen on Schierholtz

3.  however you can jetison Valbuena...do it...

4.  I would be taking to Wood about an extension

feel free to comment, critique, and buy my book...

@BBCG105Reasons

#2 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

I thought we saved some money on Soriano?

That 13m for EJax looks ugly.

I might of been in a psychedelic state, incarcerated or stranded in Guatemala but who is this Concepcion fellow?   

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

He is a Cuban chap that got mono and hasn't panned out.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

I thought we saved some money on Soriano?

That 13m for EJax looks ugly.

I might of been in a psychedelic state, incarcerated or stranded in Guatemala but who is this Concepcion fellow?

I'm not so sure I agree. 13 million for a number 3/4 who's an inning eater and will likely rebound this year is pretty good in this current market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).