hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

With more "ZOMG! FIELDER AND MIGGY WILL DO HORRIBLE BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO LINEUP PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!" talk, I got to thinking, what is the most annoying "Old School Baseball" axiom and/or stat that you wish would just die.  Not a nice, peaceful, gentle dying in your sleep exit to life but a terrifying, strap it into a Soviet-built rocket and send it on an impact trajectory with the Sun, kind of death.

For me, the first stat on the chopping block would be the RBI stat.  Sure, great hitters will get a lot of them and bad hitters wont, but comeon folks.  I find it incredibly hard to believe that you are EVER faced with a situation where you are asked to rate a player and are ONLY given their RBI totals.

The axiom I would like to see die would be "clutchitudiness".  The hitters that are "clutch" were good hitters to begin with and the ones that suck in clutch situations aren't good hitters to begin with OR you are looking at such a ridiculously small sample size that anything could have happened.

#2 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

I apologize if this starts a front page style argument, but I really don't like the argument that someone isn't a good hitter "for his position".

For instance, "Grace doesn't hit for enough power to be a firstbaseman."  But if you have a guy at second hitting 30 and 40 hr's, cant you afford a guy at first who "only" hits ten? 

I try to think of the lineup itself as having slots to fill and the field is a separate entity.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Batting Average is something I can do without

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

I would totally reshape the save stat...make it tougher to earn...or have a distinction between  3-run lead saves and high leverage saves...

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

I also have beef with how Earned Runs are given, I hat that if one pitcher puts a man on base and then another pitcher gives up hit and that first runner scores the run is only attributed to one pitcher. Wouldn't a .5 run make more sense for both pitchers since thier base runners directly led to a run being scored?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

And I hate anytime I hear the phrase "He plays the game the right way."

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#7 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Oh...I hate that "right way" thing!...drives me crazy...who says what the right way is? where is it written?...I get the feeling that bunting is the right way...but is it?

#8 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

This isn't a stat...and I risk sounding like a pu$$y, but I am glad they are finally looking at eliminating just plowing over the defense-less catcher...Pete Rose recently spoke out about how this is part of the game....okay Petey boy...if you get to run over a guy at full speed while he is standing still, he should get to chuck the ball at you....

you can't even hit a defense-less player in the NFL anymore

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

I would totally reshape the save stat...make it tougher to earn...or have a distinction between  3-run lead saves and high leverage saves...

Yes, get rid of the 1 IP 3 run save.  Either the other team is going to score 3 runs or they are not.  The skill level of the reliever plays no part in that.

#10 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

This isn't a stat...and I risk sounding like a pu$$y, but I am glad they are finally looking at eliminating just plowing over the defense-less catcher...Pete Rose recently spoke out about how this is part of the game....okay Petey boy...if you get to run over a guy at full speed while he is standing still, he should get to chuck the ball at you....

Before all the betting on baseball bullshit, I started my deep-seated hatred of Pete Rose the day he ruined Ray Fosse's career in a meaningless All-Star game.  What a putz!

Please don't feed the psychos.

#11 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

I don't like the current state of affairs with "neighborhood" double plays. I don't want to end any middle infielders' careers or good looks. Perhaps give the middle infielder some out-of-the -baseline safety zone.

I still like Batting Average, MG. I think I use it to compare players, esp over time on some gestalt-fuzzed scale from Mendoza (through LaHair) to Williams. It might just be nostalgia, but this is baseball. Plus, I owe my formidible skills with long division to it. Got me into the bluebird math class in second grade and public ed tracking has done the rest.

#12 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Before all the betting on baseball bullshit, I started my deep-seated hatred of Pete Rose the day he ruined Ray Fosse's career in a meaningless All-Star game. What a putz!
I'm with you on hating Rose. Really, I am. But there are mitigating factors to consider.

One, Fosse was way up the line blocking the plate without the ball. As a longtime Rose hater, I was disappointed when someone pointed this out to me. You can watch it yourself on YouTube.

Two, Fosse won a Gold Glove the following year, as well as being named an All Star again.

Still and all, I think Rose is a piece of shit, and it was too much for an All Star game. And I hope that he never gets in to the HoF.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#13 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

Before all the betting on baseball bullshit, I started my deep-seated hatred of Pete Rose the day he ruined Ray Fosse's career in a meaningless All-Star game. What a putz!
I'm with you on hating Rose. Really, I am. But there are mitigating factors to consider.

One, Fosse was way up the line blocking the plate without the ball. As a longtime Rose hater, I was disappointed when someone pointed this out to me. You can watch it yourself on YouTube.

Two, Fosse won a Gold Glove the following year, as well as being named an All Star again.

Still and all, I think Rose is a piece of shit, and it was too much for an All Star game. And I hope that he never gets in to the HoF.

Don't be harshing my hate with your damnable facts!

;)

Please don't feed the psychos.

#14 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

Wins as a pitching stat.

That has to be one of the stupidest things in all of sports.

#15 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Wins as a pitching stat.

That has to be one of the stupidest things in all of sports.

Agreed and the amount of weight it carries with media and fans is boggling to comprehend. I understand the difficulty I'm see why RBI is a dumb stat but the W is so simple to see why it's a stupid measurement.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).