Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Twitter:@chrisfchi
  • LocationHiding somewhere in soxland

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

I wanted to bring this up on the front page but all the BS up there would have buried it. My question is with Aroid suspended, does this mean the Yankees will have more money to spend? I have no clue how the system works. If so, is Tanaka considered a "lock" to be a Yankee once he's posted?(assuming the Yankees have the top bid and first shot at negotiations)

Also wanted to add a high five to Brett for the outstanding writing he does. I've learned more about the nuances of the game this last season than I had since I became a baseball fan.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Yes they don't have to pay him during his suspension so yeah mo money mo money mo money

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

I thought so. I would love to see the cubs get him, but the way the evil empire spends, I'm starting to believe he will be in NY pinstripes.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

Well you never know with blind bids, it will be interesting to see what the new process will be.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

The matter with the Stankees is as to whether the money saved from an A-roid suspension counts towards the luxury tax threshold or not.  I do not personally know the answer to this deal.  I see them going after either Tanaka or Cano, not both, and chances is it's Cano.  More likely, they bring back Kuroda on another short term deal and either acquire a pitcher through a trade with one of their catching prospects or sign someone on an incentive laden "prove it" deal like Halladay or Haren

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

I'm not sure it matters how much money the Yankees have to spend on Tanaka, what matters is how much they think the team that will finish second will have to spend.

If the Yankees have $200 million laying around, but they are convinced that the next highest bid can't possibly be higher than $65 million, then they aren't going to drop $200 million just 'cause.  They'll bid something between $65 million and $70 million, probably.

Even if they aren't confident that $65 million is the highest possible bid for anyone else they won't blow their entire cash stack.  They'll try to figure out what the lowest safe bid will be.

And that is why I don't think the Yankees will automagically be awarded Tanaka just because they could outbid anyone.  The fact is that they won't get a chance to outbid anyone.  They, and the rest of the teams, will make one blind bid.  If the Yankees guess wrong, Tanaka's rights will go elsewhere.

#7 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

Good point luke. I won't say NY is going to blow the wad, I do believe thou that they are the one team that will post some ridiculous amount of money just to negotiate with him. Im not too sure where their payroll stands (going to look that up real quick)

#8 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

Baseball Prospectus has it at 98mil with Arod's contract.(72mil when you take it out) I figure (ballpark figure) Granderson and Cano at 20mil each, with a 95mil post(again, ballpark figure) they could easily sign him for 16-18mil. I'm no expert on their total spendable revenue, I do believe they have that kind of cash for a posting bid.

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

(Thanks for the high five.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).