• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi, Just read Brett's write up about McCann signing with the Yankees. He speculated about the Yankees knowing they may not have to pay ARod for next season. As much as I am happy to see ARod get nailed, I have always believed that the fix was in on this one. The idea was to sting ARod big time salary wise for all his theoretical misdeeds. Personally, I would like to see the suspension; but his salary, even though unpaid, count against the salary tax limit. When are the Yankees going to be punished to the point they quit trying to buy a championship? I read the McCann article on ESPN NY and they said the Yankees were going after Sin-so-Choo (or however you spell it)or Ellsbury. The Yankees are poster children for why there should be some better revenue sharing. They pick the top free agents and then let the rest of the teams get what is left.....only because the Yankees can afford them more easily. FWIW, about ten years ago George Steinbrenner told a good friend of mine that he nets $50 million profit even when his payroll is $200 million. With the TV thing he has in place now, they have such a huge revenue advantage it is amazing. How can Tampa, in the same division, ever have a chance to compete. AS far as ARod, he can squawk all he wants but the commissioner and the Yankees had this all worked out. His suspension may be cut. I think they started with 211 games so if it went to arbitration, the guy could cut it to next season. Regards, 5412

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

Itll be interesting to see if 30 year old ball players go back to aging like 30 year old ballplayers always have. If thats thencase teams like the yankees and angels might be in for a world of hurt.

#3 Todd

Todd

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationWhale's vagina

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

I agree about ARod getting railroaded, and as much as I want to see him get what's due, I think 211 games is too much. 100 games sounds about right to me… With the price and contract length of free agents, do the Yankees really have it made with the fan expectation that they keep signing the top-tier guys? Besides the qualifying offer system, I think the current CBA is pretty competitive for all markets.

#4 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

I agree with the idea of limiting the ability of the richest teams to "sign all the players," but note that Tampa Bay made the playoffs last year and the Yankees did not.

#5 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

Itll be interesting to see if 30 year old ball players go back to aging like 30 year old ballplayers always have. If thats thencase teams like the yankees and angels might be in for a world of hurt.

Excellent point. Some of the better aging is probably due to players taking better care of their bodies and conditioning better, but some of the career longevity is probably due to something else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).