Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

Here's what I read about 2013 from a ton of Cub fans.  

Summarized, it goes like this.

"The Cubs were absolutely terribly in 2013 because they deliberately chose to be terrible from the very beginning. They entered the season with the express purpose of losing as many games as possible to maximize their draft position, and to deal as many flippable assets as they could for future assets.  At no point was winning in 2013 ever given any meaningful consideration.  Therefore, this will also be the approach in 2014, and 2015, and probably 2016."

Here's what I remember.

The Cubs were a better bullpen away from being a .500 team in mid-summer.  Their first half pythagorean W/L was substantially better than their record on the field, and the difference between the two was largely a Marmol-melted bullpen.  Swap a league average bullpen onto the Cubs in April and May and the Cubs may well have been buyers, not sellers, in July, depending on how the rest of the division looked.

They still had major issues to resolve (that team OBP being high on the list), but their team SLG was quite good, the defense was solid, the starting pitching - until they traded off a chunk of the rotation - was easily good enough to compete, and all of this was despite some down years from some key players.

Am I the only one who remembers 2013 like that?  

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yes you are correct but why would anybody want to use rational thinking?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

You are absolutely correct. 

The problem is that, having traded several good players near the deadline, the Cubs are currently not a .500 team. Fortunately, the front office has shown an ability to pick up useful pieces either at affordable prices (Feldman, Schierholtz, Navarro) or off the scrap heap (Gregg, Murphy, etc.). The challenge is that they have to do this every winter after valuable pieces are traded off every July. We hope a deluge of talent from the farm system breaks the pattern.

#4 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Swap a league average bullpen onto the Cubs in April and May and the Cubs may well have been buyers, not sellers, in July, depending on how the rest of the division looked.

I think that's probably too generous.  Sure it would have saved a couple games, but the fact that the team couldn't get on base to save their life (a point that you did not neglect to mention) seemed a much heavier weight around the neck of the early 2013 season than the bullpen.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I think that, more than in 2012, the front office put together a roster with the thought that it might have a shot at surprising. But I think they also always had in mind that the plug would be pulled swiftly and aggressively at any sign of trouble. Since we all kind of have that backdrop in mind, it's easy for the narrative to become "they sucked, and they were supposed to suck."

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

They were also a team that was some sequencing out of contention. Basically, anything insignificant that the 2013 cubs could have had go wrong did. And then Rizzo and Castro went dark.

And it sank them.

To your point the other day about the trolls, I've wanted to say this to several folks on the front page but figure it's not worth the time or effort as they just aren't interested in reason or logic. They want to believe that the FO wanted the team to suck from the get go so that is all they care about.

Then Brett posted what he did and cubmageddon happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).