#16 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

So Foxx is on the list and Robin Roberts is the one I missed?  Almost guessed Sandberg and Fergie. Never thought of Roberts.

Yes to both.

Roberts was easy to miss. In that time frame, the Cubs had quite a few players who had been genuine stars but were washed-up shells of their former selves by the time they joined the Cubs. In his age-39 season of 1966, Roberts pitched the last 11 of his 676 career games as a Cub. He had an ERA+ of 60 for the Cubs.

I would have missed Foxx. He played for the Cubs for 2 seasons, but only 85 games with an OPS+ of 60. He hit 3 of his 534 HRs as a Cub. Did you know that he pitched one perfect inning for Boston in 1939. Then, in his last year of 1945, he pitched 22.2 innings for the Phillies with an ERA of 1.59, an ERA+ of 243. He had a lifetime 1-0 W-L record as a pitcher. Not many pitchers can say they had a 1.000 lifetime winning percentage.

I remember those old washed up pitchers they brought in during the 1960s and early 70s... like Curt Simmons, Lew Burdette, Hoyt Wilhelm, Juan Pizarro, Don Nottebart, Bobby Shantz, Billy Hoeft... totally forgot Roberts, probably the most famous one! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).