3 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmyc

Jimmyc

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

With the additions of jacolby ellsbury and Carlos Beltran, Brett Gardned could become expendable. The Yankees could still use pitching, and since they don't have many minor league assets they may look to deal Gardner for a middle of the rotation starter. Gardner is a guy that can help the team greatly next year as a true speedy lead off hitter. He could also be a nice veteran piece when the prospects start to come up.

#2 chrismarti

chrismarti

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationindiana

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

I like this idea. I've been a big gardner fan for years now my issue with him is his career numbers (not exact just guessing off the top of my head) ba .270 obp .350.. doesn't exactly scream lead off hitter.. but if he can regain form and steal 50 bases a year I'd say its a good trade off. Last year in a full season he only stole I believe 24 bases. Makes me iffy. But I think you might be onto something here!

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'd love to have a .350 OBP at the top of the order, but I wouldn't want to give up anything significant for Gardner unless the Cubs could get him extended pretty quick.  Rentals don't make a lot of sense for this team right now.

#4 chrismarti

chrismarti

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationindiana

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'd take it in a heartbeat too.. the batting average and decline of steals would be what worries me. Although I'm sure as much as he was used towards the bottom of that old, slow yankee line-up could play a part in that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).