#1 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:41 AM

First off chill out Cubs fans over this off season. We are not even in the Winter meetings yet and everyone is completely freaking out. I want to ask a lot of the fans on this site how do you know that the Cubs will be awful for the next 2 years? How do you know they are going to sit out this off season? We can not trust what Theo says bc he does not want to show his hand. I don't think the following moves will be made but then again they could be: the Cubs sign Choo (big need bc of our poor OBP) the contract is 6/120 The Cubs show Shark their plan and sign him to a 5/70 deal. The Cubs miss out on Tanaka but sign Ubaldo Jimenez to a 3/40 deal and trade for Brett Anderson from the A's. The Cubs could then put the remaining payroll into a couple of bullpen arms. I'm not saying this lineup is a World Series favorite but don't tell me it would not be a fun team to watch next year:
Sweeney cf
Choo lf
Rizzo 1b
Schierholtz rf
Baez 2b (gets the call up once we secure the additional year)
Castillo c
Olt/Valbuena 3b
Castro ss

Pitching: Shark, Jimenez, Jackson, Wood, and Anderson. Not to mention a pretty good bullpen on paper. Hey I might be dreaming but all of these moves could easily be made and next year would be an amazing year to watch with the call up of Baez and knowing Bryant and Soler are right around the corner.

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

Nah man...our roster is set for next year and the only thing we are going to do is trade Samardzija for Tommy John himself.

#3 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you are saying, but the statement below has be all kinds of confused.

"We can not trust what Theo says bc he does not want to show his hand."

Either we trust what he says, or he realize that he's not going to tell the fans (or the rest of MLB) the entire truth.  IMO, he's very good at talking out of both sides of his mouth and in a position like his that's no a bad thing.  What I find odd is people want to quote word for word things that he says they agree with, but at the same time ignore things they don't like because "he isn't going to show his hand".

#4 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:49 AM

You are right wvcubsfan I should have explained that sentence further. All I meant by it was the front office is not going to say the cubs are going to be active in free agency and then miss out on free agents bc of the PR hit. I do believe him when he says the overall goal of the Cubs "build a strong farm system that will start producing major league talent" bc that is the goal of all successful teams @hansman you might be correct also and the Cubs just stick with what they got but the front office is feeling a lot of pressure and I just have a feeling there is no way the Cubs can go into next season without making any splashes in free agency. I will always be the first one to tell you that I have been wrong many times in my life but I really believe something is going to happen. I just don't understand how so many ppl say that they are certain the Cubs are going to make no moves. I would be absolutely ecstatic if the Cubs landed Tanaka and Choo. Don't give me the money excuse either bc the Cubs have so much payroll flexibility after this season and can backdate the contracts as needed.

#5 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

I see no way whatsoever that additional moves aren't made.  If the opening roster is made of solely players on the present 40 then there will be revolt and rightfully so.

#6 sans

sans

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Of course the Cubs will make additional moves this offseason. In fact, we're likely to see the Cubs make a variety of moves.

Wether you believe in the plan or not, I'm sure everyone can agree that we're going to be pretty bad over the next few seasons, right?

#7 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

Wether you believe in the plan or not, I'm sure everyone can agree that we're going to be pretty bad over the next few seasons, right?

Disagree.  I see no reason to think this team will be pretty bad over the next few seasons.

2014 doesn't look that great yet (although the Winter Meetings haven't even started quite yet so I'm not going to judge the 2014 roster as a finished product this early), but I see no reason to write off 2015, let alone 2016 already.

#8 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

This is kind of here I'm at as well.  i want to see what they break camp with before I start to complain too much about 2014

#9 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:33 AM

Is it even a good idea to get Choo?  I don't want another Sori contract nightmare.

#10 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

I have an easier time seeing Choo retaining value than Soriano did.

Choo's big asset is his ability to get on base.  Historically, that has aged well.  He might be the 8 hitter at the end of his deal and not the leadoff, depending on how other players pan out, but I'd still take a .340+ OBP in the 8 hole quite happily.

#11 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

I see no way whatsoever that additional moves aren't made.  If the opening roster is made of solely players on the present 40 then there will be revolt and rightfully so.

There may be a revolt but I'm not sure there should be.  If they believe prospects will be showing up early they'll need places for them to play.  They need to make a couple moves as every team does but that doesn't mean big moves.

The moves suggested would be fine with me (I think a little more would have to go to Shark, and I'd like to see a little less to Choo but that's in the ballpark).  I'm in wait and see mode.  This years team could be really young by the end of June and next year they could be contending for the playoffs and that would be the best scenario.

#12 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

We have several spots "open" to the young kids. I think Schierholtz leaves with Samardzija in a trade package to open up a spot in the OF for Sweeney to see what he can do until Bryant comes up (assuming Olt mans 3B); that also clears $10M in payroll. Valbuena and Murphy are veteran guys that can platoon at 2B, so bye, bye Darwin Barney; clears up $2.1M in payroll. Carlos Villanueva's excellent job in the starter/swing man role last year could really help a team like the Rockies, so we should cash in on that, especially since they just acquired "lottery ticket" Brett Anderson from Oakland and now have a hole in the pen. The Rockies are high on Blackmon and just got Barnes, so I think we should target Corey Dickerson. People on BN know that I've campaigned for this guy before. He'll provide decent defense in a corner spot with a lot of lefty pop in his bat. Moving Villanueva clears up another $5M in payroll.

Let's be honest, Samardzija will net us a return of a #3 starter on a bad team or a potential ToR guy still in the minors on a good team, so the impact on the club will not be immediate (2014). OF Corey Dickerson, SP Eddie Butler, SP Tyler Anderson, and C Tom Murphy would be a good return for Samardzija and Villanueva. (de la Rosa will be a free agent next year, so Samardzija fits and then Jonathan Gray will join the rotation later on in 2015).

Russell for Storen straight up could also work for both teams, especially if the Cubs are high on Rosscup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).