#46 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

I had forgotten about Firestone's Velvet Merkin, as my brother and I spent a good majority of last Christmas making jokes about each others' velvet merkin.

Heh heh ha heh heh. He said, "Merkin".

I found a new beer spot (which is tucked in a corner, next to the tiny, but amazeballz, whiskey section, which is itself tucked in a corner of this ultra fancy, high-end wine shop here in the Bay Area).  It's the only place I can find Pliny's at the retail level (and even then it's hit or miss).  I'm gonna try to hit it up this week and I'll report back if I find anything interesting.

If they've got the Elder or the Younger, I'd be grateful to know how they're packaged and what they ask for them.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#47 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

I found a new beer spot (which is tucked in a corner, next to the tiny, but amazeballz, whiskey section, which is itself tucked in a corner of this ultra fancy, high-end wine shop here in the Bay Area).  It's the only place I can find Pliny's at the retail level (and even then it's hit or miss).  I'm gonna try to hit it up this week and I'll report back if I find anything interesting.

If they've got the Elder or the Younger, I'd be grateful to know how they're packaged and what they ask for them.

The Younger isn't bottled -- it's draft (or, if you're lucky (and stand in line for hours) growlers) only -- and it's only available for 2 weeks in February.

As for the Elder, IIRC (it's been about 7 months since I've been there) they're the 500mL (~pint) size.  Pretty sure it was $6 per.

But there's a catch.  They have a 2 bottle max per visit, and they get their 2 or 4 case allotment on Tuesday mornings.  (And I'm *never* anywhere nearby on Tuesday mornings, no matter how hard I try.)

#48 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

Hype or no hype, it's almost definitely the best beer I've ever had.

#49 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

The Younger isn't bottled -- it's draft (or, if you're lucky (and stand in line for hours) growlers) only -- and it's only available for 2 weeks in February.

As for the Elder, IIRC (it's been about 7 months since I've been there) they're the 500mL (~pint) size.  Pretty sure it was $6 per.

But there's a catch.  They have a 2 bottle max per visit, and they get their 2 or 4 case allotment on Tuesday mornings.  (And I'm *never* anywhere nearby on Tuesday mornings, no matter how hard I try.)

Thanks for educating me. I've heard the stories about how good it is, but didn't know it was so hard to come by... although I should have been able to guess, given the difficulties required to procure some of the sought-after stuff here.

My Ignore List:

#50 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Right.

So it's been a while.

As it turns out, my bro and I mostly forgot about Stoutmas and concentrated on Drunkmas.  When he arrived, we had 2 bottles of Irish (Paddy's and Jameson), one bottle of bourbon (Bulleit), two bottles of rye (High Noon and Redemption), a bottle of Abelour scotch, a bottle of Bailey's, and some Tito's vodka for bloodies in the morning.

There was ... less ... when he left.  I've finally just sobered up enough to revisit this place.

#51 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Tito's vodka . . .

is and always has been awesome. It's better than vodka that costs three times as much.

My Ignore List:

#52 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Tito's vodka . . .

is and always has been awesome. It's better than vodka that costs three times as much.

I know!  It was a revelation.  I can even overlook the Austin/hipster vibe I get from looking at the label.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).