Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

REBUILDING AND THE ART OF SEMANTICS(hope that last part doesn't scare some people away)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

Dave Kaplan said it this week so it must be true. The Cubs are going into full "rebuild". I have nothing against Kap, he seems like a decent fellow. However I have heard through my sources that his main source is Crane Kenney. Kenney is a guy I picture trying to listen in on the plans of the actual baseball people, outside the door with a cup against it (Theo opens the door..."Oh...Theo, I was just here...checking to see if we could install some advertising on these doors...yes, that's it") In fact, wouldn't it be funny if they knew he was listening and just spouted stuff out..."Yes that's right, we are going to trade Garza to Seattle for the remains of Milton Bradley"

Another thing about Kap, have you ever seen what he wears on Chicago Tribune Live ? I think he sneaks into the old wardrobe department at WGN and takes anything warn by Bozo the Clown, Ray Rayner, and Frazier Thomas. (unless you were a kid in the 70's, you probably won't get that referrence.)

However for the sake of argument, let's assume Kap is right. Let us assume that the Cubs are going to "rebuild". Here is where semantics come in, semantics defined means; the study of words and their meanings. So in the case of the Cubs, what does rebuilding really mean?

The 2011 Cubs were probably the most boring, uninspiring, and unwatchable edition in my time as a fan. So to say, the Cubs are going to "blow the whole thing up?"...well...duh? Kap lists his MLB sources saying "there really isn't much talent there.." Really? Shocking and insightful, don't you think? Knowledgeable Cub fans knew this already. Take Garza, Castro, and a couple relievers away and you have the suckiest sucks who ever sucked.(Homer quote)

Therefore "blowing the team up" is a fait accompli. (there I go getting fancy again, it means a conclusion already determined, and yes, that is how "fait" is spelled in this case) The roster would have been completely turned over no matter who was in charge.(yes...even Jim Hendry) So this "Breaking News" that Kap was selling the other night? Ahhh...not so much.

The way the rebuilding is done is the debatable part. PLAY THE KIDS! you say... Well, you see the problem there is, there really are no kids who are ready to play.( sorry, I don't care how many homers he hits in AAA, or Venezuela, or in whiffle ball, Bryan LaHair is not a kid) We pitched some kids last year, one was so bad I refuse to say his name. (I will give you a hint, it rhymes with Dacey Doleman) Trade for other people's kids? Maybe? But right now if you just continue to sell off assets without adding any MLB regulars you would be looking at a drop in the Cubs payroll of at least 30 million. This might be fine with some Cub fans, but I am guessing that without a significant drop in ticket prices(ALERT!ALERT!...this will never happen) some of the commoners may have a problem with this.(no offense, I would consider myself only slightly above a commoner)

Will the 2012 Cubs be "rebuilt". Yes. The roster will probably have at least a 50-60% turnover rate. Will the Cubs contend in 2012? Doubtful, but I certainly wouldn't start pining for 2013 and 2014 yet. The Sean Marshall trade (which apparently is moving at the same pace as the Theo compensation talks) in my opinion, is not a throw in the towel move. There are still too many variables out there. Do you really think that last week some time Theo and the boys were sitting around befuddled, threw up their arms and said "THAT'S IT, CALL KAP....IT'S A REBUILD!"?

What is going on right now is a very fluid situation. When all of the Scott Boras smoke clears, if the Cubs could get Fielder at close to their price...you think Theo says.."Nah...we're rebuilding" If the Marlins don't land anybody, they may still want Big Z.(who wouldn't!) Trade Marmol, there is possibly 8 more million to spend. Remember what Theo said about every season being "sacred".

Cub fans screamed and hollered for a regime change. We got one that was better then we ever could have hoped for. Trust them. They are smart. At least smarter than your average CSN/WGN sports personality.

Pretty sure they are better dressed too.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

Chris during the past year you have disappointed me in the following ways:

-your continued witty post that are neither short nor informative

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

This is the kind of intelligent post that I would really appreciate if I weren't on my second Mimosa.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

Mimosa... Such a girl puppet, Carrie and the girls are waiting for you

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

The OJ is healthy.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

This is the kind of intelligent post that I would really appreciate if I weren't on my second Mimosa.

Slow day at the ol' office, Phillip?

#7 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

Slow day at the ol' office, Phillip?

Glacial my man, glacial.

#8 MoneyBoy

MoneyBoy

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

Chris, the thing about Coleman - it wasn't the pitching coach but his Dad who caught a flaw ... afterwards, his velocity and command went up. Just sayin'

Read somewhere yesterday Boras is determined to get more per year on Fielder's deal than Pujols got. I hope he holds to that - it's going to hurt Prince in the long run - IMO. Interesting to note that Teixeira dumped Boras recently.

I like the Marshall move. LeMahieu and Colvin ... meh. Still think lots to be done before spring training.

This move today was so "non-Hendry" it's ridiculous ... and highly encouraging.

#9 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

Welcome to board MoneyBoy so much nicer here

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#10 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

Mimosa... Such a girl puppet, Carrie and the girls are waiting for you

Pardon, but it's cosmos the SATC girls drink. One of my guilty pleasures.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#11 MightyBear

MightyBear

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPearland, Texas

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

SATC? A little help please, young lady.

Good rant O Chris, I think gone with the wind was shorter but very inciteful.

#12 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

"THAT'S IT, CALL KAP....IT'S A REBUILD!"

Love it.

#13 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:21 PM

This is something that I just don't understand. If there was one thing Hendry was good at was trading over-valued players and getting a good return. Yes, he made some bad moves in FA. yes, some of the contracts given to players turned out to be terrible. Yes, he had to great of connection to many of the players we drafted. However, to give the guy zero credit for the good things is one thing that really bugs me.

The Marshall trade is almost exactly like the DeRosa trade.

#14 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

I agree with you WV that Hendry has been villified far too much...don't get me wrong, I am estatic with the new regime...all in all I think he had a decent run...but pro sports is a win now or win soon deal and the fact that he lasted so long was pretty impressive..he had a fair chance...

now Jerry Angelo, there's a guy that has to go now...

#15 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

This is something that I just don't understand. If there was one thing Hendry was good at was trading over-valued players and getting a good return. Yes, he made some bad moves in FA. yes, some of the contracts given to players turned out to be terrible. Yes, he had to great of connection to many of the players we drafted. However, to give the guy zero credit for the good things is one thing that really bugs me.

The Marshall trade is almost exactly like the DeRosa trade.

I gotta disagree. When it came to Hendry, the DeRosa deal was the exception, not the rule. He was good at acquiring ML talent for marginal minor leaguers, but almost all of his "sell" deals were crap. Lilly netted crap. Maddux netted crap. Lee netted crap. I could go on. I know that's how a lot of sell deals play out, but Hendry's seemed worse than most.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).