Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

REBUILDING AND THE ART OF SEMANTICS(hope that last part doesn't scare some people away)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

This move today was so "non-Hendry" it's ridiculous ... and highly encouraging.

This is something that I just don't understand. If there was one thing Hendry was good at was trading over-valued players and getting a good return. Yes, he made some bad moves in FA. yes, some of the contracts given to players turned out to be terrible. Yes, he had to great of connection to many of the players we drafted. However, to give the guy zero credit for the good things is one thing that really bugs me.

The Marshall trade is almost exactly like the DeRosa trade.

I gotta disagree. When it came to Hendry, the DeRosa deal was the exception, not the rule. He was good at acquiring ML talent for marginal minor leaguers, but almost all of his "sell" deals were crap. Lilly netted crap. Maddux netted crap. Lee netted crap. I could go on. I know that's how a lot of sell deals play out, but Hendry's seemed worse than most.

While I agree with what you are saying, to me that is/was part of his connection/feelings towards the player involved. To me he got too caught up in being a "players GM" many times and tried to make deals that were good for the player and the Cubs and it came back to bite the Cubs more often than not.

#17 HoustonTransplant

HoustonTransplant

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

Love this thread. Rebuild does indeed mean different things to different clubs. No one has officially said the Cubs were out of any deal, including Fielder. Not saying that's the right or only move, but if it makes sense for the direction the front office wants to go, then they would pull the trigger.

I don't mind trading Garza if we net top talent in return. I also don't mind singing him long-term. We need more guys like that in the system: where it essentially looks like a win-win for the Cubs: keep him and build around him or trade him and replenish your system. To me, it seems like that's what this word "rebuild" means for our Cubs. Build the system so that if we do get screwed on a trade/FA signing, it doesn't completely cripple us for years to come. I think that's where Hendry was weakest. Over the course of over-inflated contracts and poor "sell" trades, the Cubs just don't have the talent. Now...to fix that...you simply can't call it anything than a rebuild.

BTW, I less than three (<3) the wit of the original post. And I also am aware of Bozo and all those guys...I might not have been a child of the 70's, but my dad knew who they were! :P
making music and more since 1985

#18 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

This move today was so &quot;non-Hendry&quot; it's ridiculous ... and highly encouraging.

This is something that I just don't understand. If there was one thing Hendry was good at was trading over-valued players and getting a good return. Yes, he made some bad moves in FA. yes, some of the contracts given to players turned out to be terrible. Yes, he had to great of connection to many of the players we drafted. However, to give the guy zero credit for the good things is one thing that really bugs me.

The Marshall trade is almost exactly like the DeRosa trade.

I gotta disagree. When it came to Hendry, the DeRosa deal was the exception, not the rule. He was good at acquiring ML talent for marginal minor leaguers, but almost all of his "sell" deals were crap. Lilly netted crap. Maddux netted crap. Lee netted crap. I could go on. I know that's how a lot of sell deals play out, but Hendry's seemed worse than most.

While I agree with what you are saying, to me that is/was part of his connection/feelings towards the player involved. To me he got too caught up in being a "players GM" many times and tried to make deals that were good for the player and the Cubs and it came back to bite the Cubs more often than not.

I think the DeRosa trade was quite opposite of this one. Here, Epstein is moving Marshall to gain talent to help in the building for sustained success part. Hendry was moving DeRosa so that he could free up salary to get Milton Bradley. While I do applaud him for selling someone at the height of their trade value, there were two, far different motivations at work.

#19 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

SATC? A little help please, young lady.

Good rant O Chris, I think gone with the wind was shorter but very inciteful.

Shit, sorry. Sex And The City. The girl in me came out for a minute.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#20 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

You're a chick?

Weird.

#21 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

I would comment, but I'm afraid of sounding anti-semantic.

#22 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

You're a chick?

Weird.

Yeah. Weird.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).