Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

What happens on July 31st (or honestly any point in the early offseason) if Baez and alcantara are playing well in the PCL at short/third and second (respectively) while Olt and Castro are also playing well at third and short in the bigs?

It's not inconceivable that Olt becomes the player he was projected to be, and if Baez and alcantara are knockin at the door I'm seeing 4 players for 3 positions. I know the general answer to this question is "these things tend to work themselves out" or "that's a good problem to have," but I'm actually saying what do you think the organization of these players would be if this situation came to fruition?

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Someone would go to the outfield, or someone (my guess is Baez) would play two days a week at second, two a week at short, and two a week at third, or something of that nature.

It could work.  I don't think it could happen, but it could work.  More likely if Alcantara and Baez are playing that well in the PCL the Cubs would leave Baez in Iowa while they see what they have in Alcantara at the major league level.

#3 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

Someone would go to the outfield, or someone (my guess is Baez) would play two days a week at second, two a week at short, and two a week at third, or something of that nature.

It could work.  I don't think it could happen, but it could work.  More likely if Alcantara and Baez are playing that well in the PCL the Cubs would leave Baez in Iowa while they see what they have in Alcantara at the major league level.

At the risk of sounding very dumb, Do you really think he would play a couple days a week at different positions like you suggested or was that a joke?

Also do you really think the front office would diminish the value of Baez by moving him off of second or short and putting him in a corner outfield spot? My guess would be that the best way to extract total value from all of these players (in this scenario) would be to trade alcantara and put Baez at second.

#4 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'm thinking if all four proved to be solid at the MLB level Alcantara would go to the outfield.

I really hope I'm wrong but I just don't think he (AA) will be making that big of a push this year.

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

At the risk of sounding very dumb, Do you really think he would play a couple days a week at different positions like you suggested or was that a joke?

I've seen it happen in the minors a time or two, but not in the majors.  Given the right mix of players there really isn't any reason it couldn't happen, but I can't think of any time the right mix of players for such a setup have been in the majors at the same time on the same team.

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

If Alcantara, Olt and Baez all are MLB regular material you'd put the best defender at 2B, the next at 3B and the worst in the corner OF spots.  This is assuming Castro bounces back.

If that is the case, you don't worry about positional value from their bats.

#7 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

They were looking for solutions with Profar in Texas. Just because they were trying to fit him into their infield somewhere, doesn't mean he's not a natural shortstop. There's a lot of overblown, analytic tomfoolery going on when it comes to moving guys off of positions. If their bat gets them in the lineup and on the field somehow/somewhere, there's value there.

If Baez and Alcantara both start at SS/2B in Iowa and come up together, I think Castro gets traded at the deadline. If he does bounce back, he'll get moved for a cost-controlled, #2/#3 starting pitcher. Maybe Nate Schierholtz goes with him to fill a team's OF need. Asdrubal Cabrera/Mike Aviles and Hanley Ramirez become free agents in 2015, so Cleveland and LA could be potential trade partners. I think SP Zach McAllister and RP Bryan Shaw would be a fair trade (both FA in 2019) to Cleveland right now. SP Danny Salazar could be in play if Castro regains his value before the ASB.

Kris Bryant is the 3B "back up" plan if Olt can't cut it. Although, Olt may get more time to prove himself than Castro's half-year bounce back. Alcantara probably has the athletic ability to play CF and become the Cubs' cheap, switch-hitting version of Jacoby Ellsbury, so you have to keep that in mind. If that is what unfolds, he'll have a whole off season to work on his OF defense. Having flexibility is always a good thing, even if you get burned on a trade... hindsight is 20/20.

#8 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'm thinking if all four proved to be solid at the MLB level Alcantara would go to the outfield.

I really hope I'm wrong but I just don't think he (AA) will be making that big of a push this year.

Doesn't Baez have the better arm.  I understand AA's bat is better and he has the potential to play center but I would think Baez bat could project at Left and I thought he projected to be a lesser defender (not that he couldn't play any infield position just that the others would be better defensively) than any of the others in the infield but his bat made him the better prospect.

Am I wrong about this?

#9 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

Ok, just read the McLeod piece and it made me want to come back here.  If Olt proves he can be the Cubs 3B by the end of July it sounds like Bryant could be in this mix as well.  I know its unlikely but could the defense be

1B Rizzo

2B AA

SS Castro

3B Olt

LF Baez

CF Lake (this would be the weak spot in my opinion)

RF Bryant

C Castillo

They would be crazy young (27 year old Castillo would be looking like an old man) but I'd be watching every game for the ups and downs.

#10 FarmerTanColin

FarmerTanColin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Twitter:@colin_benson
  • LocationAmes IA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

I see Lake getting traded if he proves he can produce. Olt feels like the wildcard to me. It also feels like a tidal wave of prospects are going to come up at once.

Like the team could go from... Castro-Sweeney-Rizzo-Schierholtz-Castillo-Lake- Valbuena-Barney to the above by July. With imcoming prospects from Schierholtz, or trading relievers or maybe Samardjiza even.

#11 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

If the Cubs really think Bryant could be ready by midsummer - and I am skeptical on that regardless of the comments today - then they almost have to think Soler could be on a similar path.

In that scenario subtract Lake, move Baez to short, Castro to center, and slot Soler into left or right.

#12 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

If the Cubs really think Bryant could be ready by midsummer - and I am skeptical on that regardless of the comments today - then they almost have to think Soler could be on a similar path.

In that scenario subtract Lake, move Baez to short, Castro to center, and slot Soler into left or right.

I keep reading a lot of speculative pieces about Castro in center. I understand why it would help, and how his bat plays well there, but is there any evidence or comments that show he can realistically handle one of the toughest positions on the field?

#13 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Castro's defensive problems have nothing to do with his reaction times, his quickness, or his ability to track the ball and take the right angle.  His problems tend to come down to decision making, rushing, and so forth.

In other words, the things a good center fielder needs to do he does quite well (so far as we have evidence to judge) and the things he struggles with (or has so far) are lessened by the position.

There are, of course, no guarantees, but I suspect he'd do just fine in center and would likely outperform Baez with the glove there.

Again, though, this is all a fairly unlikely scenario to begin with.  I doubt the Cubs have this bad of a positional crunch in 2014.

#14 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Again, though, this is all a fairly unlikely scenario to begin with.  I doubt the Cubs have this bad of a positional crunch in 2014.[/quote]

This GOOD of a positional crunch in 2014

FTFY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).