#1 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

Not sure how many people have seen this, but Ryan Freel was diagnosed with Stage 2 CTE (a problem that is associated with several concussions) after he took his own life. Concussions issue have been a been front and center in the NFL but it looks like it is showing up in the MLB more now. 

At first I wasn't to sure about the home plate collision rule, but after this I have to agree with it. You can't impede runners at any other base why should home be any different. Not to sure how where I'm going with this, but I am happy to see the MLB being proactive about concussions.

#2 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

In the military there is a huge problem with TBI and it is really tragic. I don't know why it is so prevelant now, it can't just be awareness. Anyway, I was talking to some folks the last couple days and immediate hyperbaric treatment may help the long term effects for what that is worth. On the surface I don't like the rule change but I get the intent and support it.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

I do wonder if the concussions in the MLB are directly related to home plate collisions or running into walls, sliding head first, or other physical collisions. Does anybody know if Freel threw his body into outfield walls or made a lot of diving plays? I'd like to know where these concussions are coming from.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

I remember this 

#5 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

The yahoo article I saw mentioned home plate collisions, outfield collisions, thrown balls that strike the head (hit by pitch and pick off attempts).  I could see this leading to more changes with pitchers wearing different type of helmet as well as new batting helmets.

#6 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

In the military there is a huge problem with TBI and it is really tragic. I don't know why it is so prevelant now, it can't just be awareness. Anyway, I was talking to some folks the last couple days and immediate hyperbaric treatment may help the long term effects for what that is worth. On the surface I don't like the rule change but I get the intent and support it.

I could see how putting the body under increase pressure might help equalize any pressure built up inside the skull.

#7 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Let's just put everyone in a bubble.  I've gto no problem with things like the seven day DL, and increased awareness.  Please, leave the game alone!  They've already done their level best to ruin the NFL, please stay away from MLB.

#8 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Let's just put everyone in a bubble.  I've gto no problem with things like the seven day DL, and increased awareness.  Please, leave the game alone!  They've already done their level best to ruin the NFL, please stay away from MLB.

Yeah you know. Kind of like the good old American car. Remember when they didn't even have seat belts. You could just sit the babe in the rear window. Just good old muscle, chrome and speed. Man you can keep your airbags, crumpled zones, and seat belts. 

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#9 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

MLB doesn't have the same issues as NFL/NHL with the constant physical contact.  I think this might be an issue only for "scrappy" players like Sam Fuld or Aaron Rowand who have a tendency to crash into walls and dive headfirst into third base.  The only real modification I would do is maybe have batting helmets use the same technology as those new helmets they're using to curb concussions in the NFL.  The 7 day DL is a nice addition and keep in mind it was introduced after Freel's career was over.

And shit, concussions happen anywhere.  I once was hospitalized for a severe concussion during a rehearsal for my high school musical so even if you replace the baseballs with nerf balls and replace the infield dirt with a padded mattress people are still going to find ways to bonk their heads.

#10 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Yeah you know. Kind of like the good old American car. Remember when they didn't even have seat belts. You could just sit the babe in the rear window. Just good old muscle, chrome and speed. Man you can keep your airbags, crumpled zones, and seat belts. 

Yeah exactly like that.

That's supposed to be my sarcastic font.

#11 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Yeah exactly like that.

That's supposed to be my sarcastic font.

Comic Sans is never sarcastic.

Comic Sans is the devil.

Comic Sans is awful.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm curious.  Did the introduction of lined, cushioned helmets take away from your enjoyment of the game of football?  Did the introduction of the same take away from your enjoyment of baseball?

#13 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

I'm OK with any new space age helmets as long as they're Cubbie Blue.

#14 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

I'm curious.  Did the introduction of lined, cushioned helmets take away from your enjoyment of the game of football?  Did the introduction of the same take away from your enjoyment of baseball?

New equipment isn't going to change the game I grew up watching.  Changing the rules will.  That was supposed to be my point.

#15 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

New equipment isn't going to change the game I grew up watching.  Changing the rules will.  That was supposed to be my point.
What rules are you concerned about? That players can no longer tackle the catcher? Because that's a tradition I can live without. I like that the MLB has quickly decided to get ahead of that brutal tradition, just as I wish they'd enforce the spikes up slides into second- fuck you Matt Holliday.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).