MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

Speaking of protective head wear for baseball check out this site: http://www.unequal.com/head

This company or someone else is about to get a huge increase in sales.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#17 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

Let's just put everyone in a bubble.  I've gto no problem with things like the seven day DL, and increased awareness.  Please, leave the game alone!  They've already done their level best to ruin the NFL, please stay away from MLB.

I'm curious.  Did the introduction of lined, cushioned helmets take away from your enjoyment of the game of football?  Did the introduction of the same take away from your enjoyment of baseball?
New equipment isn't going to change the game I grew up watching.  Changing the rules will.  That was supposed to be my point.
What rules are you concerned about? That players can no longer tackle the catcher? Because that's a tradition I can live without. I like that the MLB has quickly decided to get ahead of that brutal tradition, just as I wish they'd enforce the spikes up slides into second- fuck you Matt Holliday.

To each their own.  I happen to like the fact that the catcher can actually defend home plate.

I also think that when a reciver leaps to catch a ball a defender should be able to hit him as hard as he cares to.  It was the offensive player that decided chose to put himself in that position there is no need to penalize the defense for it.  There are many other rules similar to that in football that I could do without.

You guys can make me out to be some sort of barbarian if you'd like, but I've seen in my lifetime the NFL game chaged dramatically (and if you don't think so that's fine), and I really don't want to see that happen to baseball.  It starts by home plate collisions, then outfielders can't run into the wall, then no player can dive to make a catch, while your at it no player can try to steal a base.  I know that kind of stuff will probably never happen but 20 years ago I'd never have imagined all the new rules in football either.

#18 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

I'm curious.  Did the introduction of lined, cushioned helmets take away from your enjoyment of the game of football?  Did the introduction of the same take away from your enjoyment of baseball?

New equipment isn't going to change the game I grew up watching.  Changing the rules will.  That was supposed to be my point.

Then you did a poor job articulating your point, as you never mentioned anything about equipment in your original post, but instead whined that the rules of the sport have changed over the intervening decades and that upsets you.  Boo hoo.  The equipment specifications are part of "the rules", but I suppose it's your prerogative which ones you want to be nostalgic about.

I also think that when a reciver leaps to catch a ball a defender should be able to hit him as hard as he cares to.  It was the offensive player that decided chose to put himself in that position there is no need to penalize the defense for it.  There are many other rules similar to that in football that I could do without.

You guys can make me out to be some sort of barbarian if you'd like, but I've seen in my lifetime the NFL game chafed dramatically...

Are you aware just how dramatically the players of that game have changed?  This may be sacrilege to some, but the vaunted '85 Bears would be crushed if they played in today's NFL.  Players today are bigger, stronger, and faster.  Of course the rules are going to change to keep up with that.  Seeing those players you grew up watching turn into prematurely debilitated, drooling, middle-aged men should make it clear that the rule changes to protect their safety are far overdue.

I just don't get nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia.  Life is progress.  Save the nostalgia for your spank bank.

#19 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

"I just don't get nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia. Life is progress."
Agreed

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#20 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

Agreed

How did you leave out the "Save the nostalgia for your spank bank" part?! I fucking lost it reading that line.

Maybe I'm just immature. haha.

#21 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

Agreed

How did you leave out the "Save the nostalgia for your spank bank" part?! I fucking lost it reading that line.

Maybe I'm just immature. haha.
I'm working on not being as snarky as I want to be.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#22 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

Has there been other cases of MLB players suffering CTE?  This could just be an anomaly due to Freel's balls to the wall playing style

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).