Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Will there be enough innings to go around?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FarmerTanColin

FarmerTanColin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Twitter:@colin_benson
  • LocationAmes IA

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

Don't look now but Chicago is starting to have a bit of a log jam of starting pitching. Especially if the Cubs add another starter at the major league level (Tanaka! or someone...) There may not be enough innings to go around from Iowa down to Kane County.

A rough early depth chart of the usual 5 man rotation should look like this....

Chicago Cubs - Samardijza, Wood, Jackson, Arretia, Rusin (I'll slot him here for now).

Iowa Cubs - Kyle Hendricks, Liam Hendriks, Neil Ramirez, Dallas Beeler, (A battle between Loux, Jokisch, Rhee, Struck, Negrin, Kirk?)

Tennesse Smokies - Pierce Johnson, CJ Edwards, Ben Wells, Pineryo, Black, Peralta, Loosen, (Fallouts from above)

Daytona...Tons of guys

Kane County....tons of guys.

This doesn't mention guys that will probably make the bullpen but can definitely start. Alberto Cabrera, Justin Grimm and Brooks Raley. Throw in Arodys Vizcaino maybe gets some starts eventually. If Wada is signed he could start. It's looking like 7-8 starting options at each level especially if Rusin is kicked down.

How do you see the Cubs handling the innings? Do they simply cut a few guys to make room? The amount of relievers are piling up as well. Will they incorporate a piggyback system which I believe is a must in the lower levels already. Injuries and ineffectiveness are going to happen but with the amount of pitching right now, I dont think it's simply going to work itself out without some semi drastic events. 6 man rotation, anyone?

Anyway struck me as semi interesting. No one should become complacent because they "have a spot", the guy not getting innings will definitely be gunning for more.

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

many of those guys will be under a inning/pitch count restriction so there will be some shuffling between the rotation and the bullpen, including relief outings that may be longer than the start (starter hits pitch count in third inning, reliever comes in and throws 4 innings--stuff like that)

#3 TheRiot2

TheRiot2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPine City,Mn.

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

Hendiks was claimed off waivers 3 days ago.

Don't look now but Chicago is starting to have a bit of a log jam of starting pitching. Especially if the Cubs add another starter at the major league level (Tanaka! or someone...) There may not be enough innings to go around from Iowa down to Kane County.

A rough early depth chart of the usual 5 man rotation should look like this....

Chicago Cubs - Samardijza, Wood, Jackson, Arretia, Rusin (I'll slot him here for now).

Iowa Cubs - Kyle Hendricks, Liam Hendriks, Neil Ramirez, Dallas Beeler, (A battle between Loux, Jokisch, Rhee, Struck, Negrin, Kirk?)

Tennesse Smokies - Pierce Johnson, CJ Edwards, Ben Wells, Pineryo, Black, Peralta, Loosen, (Fallouts from above)

Daytona...Tons of guys

Kane County....tons of guys.

This doesn't mention guys that will probably make the bullpen but can definitely start. Alberto Cabrera, Justin Grimm and Brooks Raley. Throw in Arodys Vizcaino maybe gets some starts eventually. If Wada is signed he could start. It's looking like 7-8 starting options at each level especially if Rusin is kicked down.

How do you see the Cubs handling the innings? Do they simply cut a few guys to make room? The amount of relievers are piling up as well. Will they incorporate a piggyback system which I believe is a must in the lower levels already. Injuries and ineffectiveness are going to happen but with the amount of pitching right now, I dont think it's simply going to work itself out without some semi drastic events. 6 man rotation, anyone?

Anyway struck me as semi interesting. No one should become complacent because they "have a spot", the guy not getting innings will definitely be gunning for more.

Hendriks was claimed off waivers 3 days ago by the Orioles.But you are right, there will be a logjam of pitchers at the top of the system and speaks of trade material for the Cubs

#4 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:20 PM

Steamer projects:

35th - 2.8 WAR - Jeff Samardzija

61st - 2.2 WAR - Arodys Vizcaino (pitching 25 starts for the Cubs)

64th - 2.1 WAR - Edwin Jackson

162 - 0.9 WAR - Travis Wood

164 - 0.9 WAR - Scott Baker [still a free agent]

176 - 0.8 WAR - Jake Arrieta

253 - 0.4 WAR - Chris Rusin

262 - 0.4 WAR - Justin Grimm

279 - 0.3 WAR - Jose Veras

295 - 0.3 WAR - Zac Rosscup

302 - 0.3 WAR - Carlos Villanueva

396 - 0.1 WAR - Alberto Cabrera

397 - 0.1 WAR - Blake Parker

406 - 0.1 WAR - Kyuji Fujikawa (10 games)

437 - 0.1 WAR - Wesley Wright

457 - 0.0 WAR - James Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).