#16 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

And I think Billy Williams got on via a double, followed by an intentional (maybe an unintentional-intentional) walk to Nen. That's how the boxscore looks anyways.

Edit: It was an intentional walk.

Wow... so was Nen pinch hitting for Banks who was hitting in front of Santo - or did Nen start?  I was thinking Williams, Santo, Banks as the 3,4,5 hitters like it was for years.  But that was the year Banks had a little power resurgence and Santo was struggling so they might have switched back and forth some.   

#17 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

The next logical guesses would be Kessinger or Adolfo Phillips.  Banks always hit after Santo at that time in his career, so it isn't him.  Otherwise it will be a bench guy, like Spangler or Willie Smith.  So I would say Kessinger got a scrap infield single.

You mentioned him, but your guess is wrong.  

So since they went with Nen that inning (a lefty hitter), I'll say the bench guy was a lefty (Spangler or Smith - both lefties).  Willie Smith.  Final answer.

#18 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

The next logical guesses would be Kessinger or Adolfo Phillips.  Banks always hit after Santo at that time in his career, so it isn't him.  Otherwise it will be a bench guy, like Spangler or Willie Smith.  So I would say Kessinger got a scrap infield single.

That's what he does, names all of the players on the team that year. 

#19 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

It was Williams, Banks, Santo, but Banks was removed for a pinch-runner (Upham)  and Nen then hit for that runner in the 9th.

Jeez, couldn't remember that?

#20 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

That's what he does, names all of the players on the team that year. 

Cheater.

#21 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

So since they went with Nen that inning (a lefty hitter), I'll say the bench guy was a lefty (Spangler or Smith - both lefties).  Willie Smith.  Final answer.

DAMN YOU SCUBA STEVE!

#22 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

DAMN YOU SCUBA STEVE!

First a cheater, now this.  Crushed and kicked again.   Being a Cubs fan is rough on so many levels.  I need to stop caring. 

#23 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

DAMN YOU SCUBA STEVE!

First a cheater, now this.  Crushed and kicked again.   Being a Cubs fan is rough on so many levels.  I need to stop caring. 

But caring is sharing!

I am, incresingly, getting the feeling that these are becoming more of a Stump Spriggs Contest and less a trivia contest.

#24 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

Stump Spriggs

This sounds like the nickname of one of those players that he grew up watching in the 1890s.

#25 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Stump Spriggs

This sounds like the nickname of one of those players that he grew up watching in the 1890s.

ORRR his twitter handle. @StumpTheSpriggs like Stump the Shaub, however many years ago...  

#26 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Stump Spriggs

Ouch.  color me stung   

#27 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

I had an uncle named Stump, married to my Aunt Twiggy.

Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).