#1 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

I hate doing these trade scenerio's. I hate it.

Which prospect would you be willing to give up to make the Shark/Heyward deal happen? That deal just intrigues the hell out of me (obviously, because it favors the Cubs) so I wanted to test the waters and see how everyone else felt.

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

Unless you were getting someone else back, I don't think you'd want/have to send one of the big 4/5.

I'd happily do anyone 6-10, though.

#3 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

It depends, I'd want to know what type of contract extension Heyward would be willing to sign first. If he wants to test free agency then I would add a prospect in the 11-20 range. If Heyward signs a contract that would make him a cub for the next 6 years then I'd go 6-10 range. Maybe toss in Soler (who currently is the only one of the 4 I'd be willing to trade) if the Cubs get an interesting minor league pitcher back.

#4 FarmerTanColin

FarmerTanColin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Twitter:@colin_benson
  • LocationAmes IA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Heyward is a little risky for me, same for Upton.

Saything that with Samardijza I would struggle to trade anyone in the top 10 actually. Work more of a package of Hoon-Ha, Blackburn, Amaya type of thing.

Frank Wren seems like a guy who really REALLY likes his younger players. I remember last year saying he wouldn't give up Simmons at all. Simmons is good but the Braves fans I know have some disillusion he'll all of sudden hit like Tulowitzki. I don't like GMs that say players are off limits...reminds me of when Jeff Baker was off limits for the Cubs.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

I'd love to have Heyward, but I still hate him.

(I cannot understand how no one has mentioned Opening Day 2010 in this conversation...)

#6 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

Simmons is the best defensive SS in the game. He saved like 35 runs on D alone last year. There is a very good reason Wren doesnt want to give him up. 

#7 FarmerTanColin

FarmerTanColin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Twitter:@colin_benson
  • LocationAmes IA

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Simmons is the best defensive SS in the game. He saved like 35 runs on D alone last year. There is a very good reason Wren doesnt want to give him up. 

Yes obviously I'm not saying its dumb to not "want" to give someone up. It's dumb to not even consider it. He may have had the best defensive season ever but he was still negative on the base paths and had a wOBA of .303 meaning he lost about 10 runs combined.

He's a great shortstop, "untouchable" I think not. Also you're implying he'd being giving him up for nil, would not happen. Wren just isn't very opportunistic to me, keeps his guys until they prove they are unproductive (Tommy Hanson, Jurrjens). They're a winning organization, just a different mindset than I would have. You could argue the Upton trade here but if anything that's about a wash right now, unless you see Chris Johnson as real.

#8 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

Simmons had a bWAR of 6.8 and a fWAR of 4.7 (3rd best SS using fWAR), why would you deal him? I would make him untouchable as well. Plus with their lineup a guy who had one of the best defensive seasons, even if he is weak with the bat, provides plenty of value

And I think Wren is doing ok. He got a solid RP for Hanson (hamburger shoulder) and basically got Upton and Johnson for Prado. I think anyone in there right mind would take that deal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).