• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

1st two are 3 way trades.

#1. Is a RedSox/Padre/Cubs

Red Sox get Garza and Marmol

Padres get Jose Iglesias and Ben Wells

Cubs get Garin Cecchini 3B, Anthony Rizzo 1B, Anthony Ranaudo SP, Drake Britton SP and a PTBNL (which would be Matt Barnes SP)

#2 Is a Rangers/Padres/Cubs

Rangers get Garza and Dolis

Padres get Harrison, Vitters ans Luis Sandinas SS

Cubs get Mike Olt, Anthony Rizzo, Neil Ramirez, Joe Weiland and a PTBNL from the Padres.

#3. Tiger

Turner, Castellanos, and Drew Smyly LHP.

#4 Yankees

Banuelos or Betences, David Phelps RHP, Tyler Austin 3B and Cito Culver.

Blue Jays

Kyle Drabek RHP or Drew Hutchison RHP, Noah Syndgaard RHP, Nicolino LHP and Adieny Hechavarria SS or AJ Jemeniz C.

#2 Ashley

Ashley

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:CubsFan1023
  • Facebook:Ashley Bolton
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

I think the only way the Cubs can make a trade for Rizzo or with Padres is to do a 3 way trade. That being said I have heard more and more that the Blue Jays are going to really go after him after losing out on Darvish! I really don't like trading Garza after giving up so much for him last year but we can get a bunch of talent for him and we really going to struggle either way. We are rebuilding and need to trade Garza, Byrd, Soriano and prob Marmol while we are at it!

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

Welcome Ashley

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 Ashley

Ashley

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

Thank you MichiganGoat! Been reading on site for while but decided to join in on the discussion!

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

Thank you MichiganGoat! Been reading on site for while but decided to join in on the discussion!

You'll find the message board a much more sane and fun place to be.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

All are very realistic options, to my eye. I like the Red Sox option, assuming the Cubs think Britton can bounce back. Definitely like the Rangers/Padres option. Of the straight-up trades, the Blue Jays' is probably the most attractive. Tigers' isn't bad. Not crazy about the Yankees'.

#7 Ashley

Ashley

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

Bruce mentioned on ESPNChicago this am on his chat that the Cubs would be expecting young outfielders from the BlueJays. How much would the Cubs have to give up to get a really good outfield prospect, a starting pitcher and possibly a 1st base prospect? I heard someone or read on twitter that the BlueJays had a really good 1st base prospect they might give up for Garza. Or am I wrong?

#8 KCubsfan

KCubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Bruce mentioned on ESPNChicago this am on his chat that the Cubs would be expecting young outfielders from the BlueJays. How much would the Cubs have to give up to get a really good outfield prospect, a starting pitcher and possibly a 1st base prospect? I heard someone or read on twitter that the BlueJays had a really good 1st base prospect they might give up for Garza. Or am I wrong?

The 1B prospect you are think of isn't worth much. David Cooper has never shown power and play a terrible 1B. Now OF different story they have a true 5 tool player named Jake Marisnick.

#9 Ashley

Ashley

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

Just know the Cubs need a lot and maybe Garza can get it for us. But I think it has to be an out of this world deal for the Cubs to trade him!

#10 BFiddy

BFiddy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Twitter:Bridger_Macau
  • Facebook:Bridger Fetters
  • LocationMacau

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:25 AM

I still think a deal with the Blue Jays would be great...but there is no way we are trading Garza for less than what we gave away to get him just one year ago...

That was...
4 Prospects (*including 3 in our organizational top 10 according to most):
*RHP Chris Archer
*SS Hak-Ju Lee
*OF Brandon Guyer
IF Robinson Chirinos

...and a ML 4th OF in Sam Fuld.

So from Toronto, that might look something like:
1 of their top OF prospects...either Gose or Marisnick
1 of their tip-top SP prospects (Drabek, Norris, Syndergaard, or Nicolino)
1 Additional High-Upside SP prospect (Sanchez, McGwire, Hutchinson, or Wojchiechowski)
1-2 Additional Bodies (the Chirinos/Fuld equivalents...not irrelevant, but much harder to predict)

I would love to see their young 1B Cooper included in the deal...he doesn't have that much pop, but has great plate discipline and hits from the left side.

I would be over-the-moon if we landed something like...
OF Gose
SP Drabek
SP McGwire
1B Cooper

...or something comparable to that.
And that's a bad miss...

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

Welcome, BFiddy. I agree that, from an attitudinal perspective, I'd feel pretty sick if the Cubs don't get as much back for Garza as they gave up last year.

That said, I think the returns in the Latos and Gonzalez deals will probably be more of the guiding principle for a Garza deal this time around.

(Both approaches net the Cubs a very healthy return, obviously.)

#12 MightyBear

MightyBear

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPearland, Texas

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

I dont think the Jays have a good 1st base prospect. The outfielder Gose looks like a good player

#13 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

Garza and Soto to Yankees for Montero Betances and Banuelos. This could be likely, I have heard rumors of the Yankees trading Montero and signing Fielder to DH. Don't know how likely this is but it seems like a Yankee-esque move.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#14 The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:MattWolbrink
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hey everyone longtime reader, but a message board newbie here.

Sam, I heard the same rumor and I would love to see that deal. Betances is a beast and I would love to see him pitching for the Cubbies. At 6' 8" and only 22 years old one could argue he is only 3 years away from being a dominant starter. And you are right, it definitely sounds like a "yankee esque" move.
Theo 3:16

#15 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

First post. Please, welcome me with open arms.

I'd be stunned if the Yanks gave up those three for ANYONE, let alone Garza. The Tigers seem like the best fit, but it's a pipe dream expected to get Castellanos plus Turner/Smyly. Even though they're young, the Tigers would essentially be gutting their system and I can't see that.

Turner, Smyly and a B prospect is more likely and I am perfectly content with that. Realistically, the only guy I was crushed to lose in last year's trade was Lee. Archer still looks more like an RP (where's his decent 3rd pitch?) and the other guys were really just filler. 6 years of a young ace-ceiling SP who is near ML ready (Turner)? Plus other stuff? Yes please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).