TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

First post. Please, welcome me with open arms.

Sure.

What size banana hammock do you wear? All the MessageBoard nebies get a free one after their 10th post.

#17 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

The Tigers seem like the best fit... . Even though they're young, the Tigers would essentially be gutting their system and I can't see that.

The Tigers were *very* close to the World Series last year. If the Cubs were in the same "on-the-cusp" position, with the same solid team, in a weak division, would you be willing to give up two or more of your top prospects for a Garza-type pitcher? Say Jackson, Vitters and one other? I don't think it would take very much to convince me.

#18 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

The Tigers were *very* close to the World Series last year. If the Cubs were in the same "on-the-cusp" position, with the same solid team, in a weak division, would you be willing to give up two or more of your top prospects for a Garza-type pitcher? Say Jackson, Vitters and one other? I don't think it would take very much to convince me.

Difference? Turner is far more valuable than either of those. A few professional evaluators who post around the web still consider Jackson a 4th OFer...essentially what Colvin was. It wouldn't be anything to give up those players for an SP. But I understand your point. Still don't think Turner goes with the 3B....still wouldn't be surprised if Garza doesn't end up in Toronto or Texas.

Crazy offseason.

#19 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

Difference? Turner is far more valuable than either of those. A few professional evaluators who post around the web still consider Jackson a 4th OFer...essentially what Colvin was. It wouldn't be anything to give up those players for an SP. But I understand your point.

Yeah, my analogy isn't perfect, whaddyagonnado? Our farm system is icky.

But if I'm the Cubs, and it's January of 2004 or 2008, and you've just been drubbed out of the playoffs all-too-soon, I'm thinking that you'd be willing to part with your top prospects when you were thisclose to a World Series, and that tradeoff (win now vs. future success) has got to be rolling through the halls of Detroit's upper management offices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).