Recent Topics

Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Cubs Calendar - 12/30 - THE END IS NEAR!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Here are some trivia questions related to Monday's calendar question: Who threw 21 strikeouts in a ML game? Why is he not listed next to Wood, Clemens, Johnson? What is the sort-of connection to the Cubs?

I vaguely remember this.  Seems like he pitched like 15 or 16 innings in the early 60's, but I cannot remember his name.  I think he was on the Pirates' 1960 championship team a few years before.  Hints?

Stop the presses! Spriggs wants a hint!

Of course, he already has a lot of it: 16 innings, the year was 1962. The player went from the Cardinals to the Pirates---greatly improving after the trade. He won the WS with the Pirates in 1960.

A hint to the name: think of a Vice President.

Spelled different though, right?  Tom ? Cheney ?  

#17 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Here are some trivia questions related to Monday's calendar question: Who threw 21 strikeouts in a ML game? Why is he not listed next to Wood, Clemens, Johnson? What is the sort-of connection to the Cubs?

I vaguely remember this.  Seems like he pitched like 15 or 16 innings in the early 60's, but I cannot remember his name.  I think he was on the Pirates' 1960 championship team a few years before.  Hints?

Of course, he already has a lot of it: 16 innings, the year was 1962. The player went from the Cardinals to the Pirates---greatly improving after the trade. He won the WS with the Pirates in 1960.

Tom Cheney it is, and it's spelled the same way as Dick Cheney.

For the sort-of connection with the Cubs, let me give some details on the Wikipedia article on Cheney (Tom, not Dick). http://en.wikipedia....eney_(baseball)

On 12 September 1962, while pitching for the Washington Senators, Cheney struck out 21 Baltimore Orioles. Washington finally won 2-1 in the 16th inning. Cheney had struck out 13 after 9 innings, but insisted on staying in the game.

“ I started this damn game, I'm finishing it.[1]

He pitched eight straight hitless innings toward the end and struck out his 21st batter with his 216th and last pitch.

Cheney pitched really well the next year until he suffered a serious elbow injury in July. He was never the same pitcher after that and soon retired.

His daughter said:

"He was angry that he had such a great career one day and the next day it was gone. He pretty much blames that (record-breaking) game for the decline of this arm. When he pitched, he pitched hard."[5]

I suggest that anyone on this board who reads this story, about a player pitching a great game with an outrageous number of pitches and subsequently suffering an injury probably related to overuse, cannot help but cringe and think of Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

#18 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

Or, if you get really creative with the last name: This author gave birth to Jack Ryan.

#19 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Or, if you get really creative with the last name: This author gave birth to Jack Ryan.

That's quite a stretch there.    

#20 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

For the sort-of connection with the Cubs, let me give some details on the Wikipedia article on Cheney (Tom, not Dick). http://en.wikipedia....eney_(baseball)

On 12 September 1962, while pitching for the Washington Senators, Cheney struck out 21 Baltimore Orioles. Washington finally won 2-1 in the 16th inning. Cheney had struck out 13 after 9 innings, but insisted on staying in the game.

He pitched eight straight hitless innings toward the end and struck out his 21st batter with his 216th and last pitch.

Cheney pitched really well the next year until he suffered a serious elbow injury in July. He was never the same pitcher after that and soon retired.

His daughter said:

"He was angry that he had such a great career one day and the next day it was gone. He pretty much blames that (record-breaking) game for the decline of this arm. When he pitched, he pitched hard."[5]

I suggest that anyone on this board who reads this story, about a player pitching a great game with an outrageous number of pitches and subsequently suffering an injury probably related to overuse, cannot help but cringe and think of Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

Or course, the first thing I thought of was Wood after reading the last of your post.  One thing though, it sort of sounds like he had only himself to be angry at - as he sounded pretty adamant about wanting to stay in the game.  

#21 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

That's quite a stretch there.    

For whatever reason, I had to double read his last name when I read it.  Maybe it's because of the new Jack Ryan movie coming out.

#22 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

His daughter said:

Or course, the first thing I thought of was Wood after reading the last of your post.  One thing though, it sort of sounds like he had only himself to be angry at - as he sounded pretty adamant about wanting to stay in the game.  

Yes, but how many pitchers ever want to come out of a game?

#23 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

His daughter said:

Sure, but he got what he asked for... to stay in the game.  Then in hindsight he blames someone years later for doing what he was demanding them to do.  And it maybe isn't even known for sure that it actually caused him to prematurely blow.  Actually he always sort of blew and was never really good.  Plus he came up in the cardinals organization and they let him go - so he MUST have sucked if they couldn't turn him into a star. (sarcasm) 

#24 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

His daughter said:

Sure, but he got what he asked for... to stay in the game.  Then in hindsight he blames someone years later for doing what he was demanding them to do.  And it maybe isn't even known for sure that it actually caused him to prematurely blow.  Actually he always sort of blew and was never really good.  Plus he came up in the cardinals organization and they let him go - so he MUST have sucked if they couldn't turn him into a star. (sarcasm) 

You're right, but in those days, pitchers going beyond 9 innings was common.

Btw, I made a mistake. He did not make 216 pitches, he made 228.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).