4 replies to this topic

#1 Okiecubhawk

Okiecubhawk

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

Who watched the Sugar Bowl last night? I'm curious what the national perception of OU football is from the "informed but casual" college football fans. Did the Sooners performance against Alabama last night change your perception in any way?

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

They have a really good debate team 

#3 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

I hope for OU's sake that this is the renaissance of the Sooner football program.  They used to be such a powerhouse, but really had fallen off as of late.  I never was a big fan of Landry Jones.  He seemed to always crumble under pressure.

#4 Mr. Gonzo

Mr. Gonzo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

As a huge OU fan living in the heart of Austin, Texas, it can be easily forgotten how much off-the-radar OU gets if they aren't consistently in - and winning - a BCS game each year. They did lost five straight BCS games from 2004-2009, three of which were NC games. Not a good last impression for non-OU and non-BIG XII fans.

If you don't live in BIG XII country, OU hasn't been on your national radar since 2009. If you live in BIG XII country, you know OU has still been absolutely dominant within the conference, and - just like the rest of the country - has sat out from NC games the last few years during the SEC/Alabama dynasty. They just haven't been perennial contenders during Jones' reign (we seemed to lose fluky late in the season to knock us out of the race).

Now that OU landed RB Dixon out of Cali for next season, and if Stoops stays aboard, we could easily see OU back in the conversation for the NC each of the next couple seasons.

Boomer Sooner and Go Cubs.

Mr. Gonzo

#5 Okiecubhawk

Okiecubhawk

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Now that OU landed RB Dixon out of Cali for next season, and if Stoops stays aboard, we could easily see OU back in the conversation for the NC each of the next couple seasons.

Boomer Sooner and Go Cubs.

It definitely feels like Stoops is gearing up for another multi year run in title contention.  I haven't been this excited about OU football since Sam Bradford's arm fell off against BYU in JerryWorld. 

Next year will be interesting in the BIG XII.  Not sure what Texas will look like with a new coach and a new QB.  I think Oklahoma will be the heavy favorite to win the conference heading into the season and if Knight plays like he did against Alabama we will surely be looking at a top 5 team.  I would love to see Blake Bell give it a go at tight end or maybe fullback next year.

I'm thinking the top 5 heading into the season will be some mix of Florida State, Auburn, Oklahoma, Michigan State and Oregon. However it shakes out I think Oklahoma is going to look more like the Jason White/Sam Bradford Sooners, not the Landry Jones Sooners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).