Recent Topics

Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Tanaka Talk-About those Angels Brett mentioned...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

January 24th will be here before you know it, and either Tanaka dealings are being done very quietly or teams are waiting to make last minute rushes.  "West Coast" teams are constantly linked to Tanaka...and in Brett's rundown today the question of the LA Angels of Anaheim, California(sorry, I prefer when they were the California Angels) arises.  The question being...are the Angels willing to bust through the luxury tax threshold to pursue Tanaka? Consider this:

2016 Angels Payroll

Josh Hamilton 32.4M, Albert Pujols 25M, CJ Wilson 20.5 M, Jared Weaver 20.2M, Erick Aybar 8.75 M, Joe Smith 5.25M

that would be 112.1M for those 6 players...in 2016!...If we assume the Angels want to keep Mike Trout, and field competant MLB players at just a few of the open slots they will have remaining..they are gonna go beyond that luxury tax number like Charlie, Grandpa Joe and Willie Wonka  smashing through that glass ceiling in that flying elevator thingy.

So it comes down to this. Does Artie Moreno(the Angels owner the last time I checked, which was earlier in the day) care if they are a bit over the tax threshold, or does he want to ascend into Dodgerland($230-250M)?

That decision, will make the Angels a very dangerous Tanaka pursuer, or have them sitting on the sidelines.

@BBCG105Reasons

#2 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

LA Angels of Anaheim

We're not the first, but since this silly name change, around my house we refer to the Dodgers as the "Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles".

Also, I was glad to see you work in the movie reference. I was getting concerned when I didn't see it in the first paragraph.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Ha, LA Dodgers of LA. If the Angels smash through it this year, there is going to have to be a year, later on, when they will need to get under the cap to re-set the penalties. Otherwise that Trout contract is going to get silly expensive just from the penalties. And I love how they will be fielding a team of 35-somethings in a couple years, while paying them a boatload of cash. Although, I am guessing someone will take Pujols or Hamilton off their hands (*cough* Yankees *cough*) thinking a change of scenery is all they need. (I guess it used to be that a "change of scenery" just meant different kinds of PEDs that worked differently)

#4 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Ha, LA Dodgers of LA. If the Angels smash through it this year, there is going to have to be a year, later on, when they will need to get under the cap to re-set the penalties. Otherwise that Trout contract is going to get silly expensive just from the penalties. And I love how they will be fielding a team of 35-somethings in a couple years, while paying them a boatload of cash. Although, I am guessing someone will take Pujols or Hamilton off their hands (*cough* Yankees *cough*) thinking a change of scenery is all they need. (I guess it used to be that a "change of scenery" just meant different kinds of PEDs that worked differently)

Semi-related:  

I don't think Pujols is done yet. He's my early pick for Comeback Player of the Year for 2014. Not that winning that makes him worth his contract... I just have a hard time believing he's actually done being productive.  

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

Semi-related:  

I don't think Pujols is done yet. He's my early pick for Comeback Player of the Year for 2014. Not that winning that makes him worth his contract... I just have a hard time believing he's actually done being productive.  

For Pujols standards, he is finished.  A fairly swift finish at that. 

He should, however, be a 1B average 1Bman for a few more years. 

#6 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hey what happened to the Calendar trivia?

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#7 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Semi-related:  

For Pujols standards, he is finished.  A fairly swift finish at that. 

He should, however, be a 1B average 1Bman for a few more years. 

Well, yeah, I agree. He's never going to be the ridiculous monster that he used to be. 

I think he's got maybe one or two more years of above average 1B production left... Not that me thinking that holds any water whatsoever lol.

#8 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

It's gone forever....  

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

It's gone forever....  

Sadly, yes.  I don't have a new calendar and am too lazy to track it down.

Just know that DieHard is the lone victor of The Calendar Games.

#10 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

It's gone forever....  

I got a Cubs trivia book for Christmas.. It didn't really hit me until now, but I could ask a question or two from it each day if y'all wanted.

#11 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

It's gone forever....  

I got a Cubs trivia book for Christmas.. It didn't really hit me until now, but I could ask a question or two from it each day if y'all wanted.

SMH...

#12 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

It's gone forever....  

SMH...

Why would I shake your hand? 

#13 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

It's gone forever....  

SMH...

Because you like getting Natty Light and hamburger grease on yourself.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#14 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

It's gone forever....  

SMH...

Because you like getting Natty Light and hamburger grease on yourself.

Natty Ice, thankyouverymuch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).