#1 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Jim Bowden and Casey Stern were pretty fired up about his ballot leading into the interview. They have promised to "leave no stone unturned" while asking Ken for his justification.

Bowden will be JB, Casey will be CS, and Ken Gurnick will be KG. Seems obvious, but you know.

I typed it all as fast as I could, so if it's not in quotes it's paraphrased.. If I quote it I got it word for word. () are my own thoughts/edits.

CS: How are ya?

KG: Well, I hope you're having a better day than I am.

JB: Why didn't you vote for Maddux?

KG: It's just my feeling about the steriod era, and all the players in it. I can't tell who did and who didn't. There's been a lot of backlash about it and my opinion.

JB:  Okay, when did the era start and end?

KG: Early 90's.. 91/93.

JB: So when Morris won 20 games?

KG: Yeah, I left myself open to that. I think he was good enough before that. "I just feel like Jack Morris is deserving of the Hall of Fame." I didn't vote for Maddux... And I don't plan on voting again.

CS: Just to restate that, you don't plan on voting again?

KG: Yes.

JB: Do you have any evidence or knowledge that Maddux took PED's?

KG: "No, none." It's not about any individual person or player, it's about an era.

CS: The end of Morris's career was in this era. Did you have McGriff on and take him off? Same with Morris? Did you change your mind a lot?

KG: Yes, I changed my mind a lot. (This was kind of weird.. I don't know if he meant over years or this year)

JB: None of those players should be represented in Cooperstown?

KG: Maddux will be in there. I have one vote, it's not representative of the everyone elses.

CS: Why put a vote in at all, if you knew this would be the reaction?

KG: I'm not enjoying the attention. I cast a ballot. I have to own up to it and explain it. I'm not going to cast an empty ballot.

JB: I respect you a lot for coming on our show. You didn't have to do that. We all really appreciate you owning up to it. What would you say to Greg Maddux IF he missed by one vote?

KG: "I would tell him what I just got done telling you guys. It is that era. It's an era where the players used PED's, whatever degree we don't know. No players were really out to stop it. The union fought testing." "It's not a personal thing." "It's the frustration of not knowing who did and who didn't."

CS: What about when Mariano Rivera is up for the HOF? He's probably the most respected player in the game. What would you have done if he was on the list and you were voting?

KG: It's not any different than Maddux. It's not about the individual, it's about the era. I would not vote for Rivera. Maybe that's why it's good I don't have vote going forward.

That was the last of the HOF questions.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

The only good part of that interview is that he doesn't plan on voting again.

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

I wonder if he has ever wrote about a player placing themselves above the game.

"KG: I'm not enjoying the attention. I cast a ballot. I have to own up to it and explain it. I'm not going to cast an empty ballot."

A: Bullcrap

2. Bullcrap

X: Go fly a fucking kite, you fucking moron

<greek symbol for delta> : So you decided to leave off many deserving "non-steroid era" guys in favor of Jack "I was pretty good but not good enough for the HoF" Morris?

E: "KG: Maddux will be in there. I have one vote, it's not representative of the everyone elses." Don't worry, someone else will stop this dictator we have in power

7: Why do we have the HoF and BBWAA again?  Seriously, they can't even get themselves to see past their own shadow ("Oh hey, good looking shadow, you are pretty awesome!!!!").  50 years ago they were the most informed on all teams.  Today, they are an anachronism of an era gone by.  

Z: I do commend him, though.  If you are going to leave Bonds off the voting for steroids, noone from that "era" should be free from suspect.  I still hate him though.

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

JB: So when Morris won 20 games?

KG: Yeah, I left myself open to that. I think he was good enough before that. "I just feel like Jack Morris is deserving of the Hall of Fame." I didn't vote for Maddux... And I don't plan on voting again.

Ok, I have no more respect for you.  Screw it.  Get off your damn high horse and never, ever, never again vote for a guy like Morris.  

You know what, I hope Maddux doesn't get in and Morris does.  Just so the HoF can fucking burn in hell for the rest of eternity. 

(I really shouldn't post when I have been drinking)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).