Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

I knew Greg Maddux wasn't going to get 100%...fine.  I really did think he would get 99% or at least tie with Seaver and Nolan Ryan for the all time high at 98.8%...

nope...

What really irks me about this is Nolan Ryan...full disclosure, while I think he was a tremendously dominant pitcher, I have never been a fan of Mr. Nolan Ryan.  I thought he got a free pass in lots of areas. For example, the unwritten rule that you did not try to bunt for a hit on Nolan...because if you did, he would hit you with a pitch the next time.  So, it was okay to bunt on Jim Abbott, you know... the guy with one hand? ...but the mean, nasty, ornery Texan...you better not bunt on him!

There is a deeper comparison of the two in my book, but let's just take a look at Greg Maddux vs. the great Nolan Ryan:

Let's start with control:

Greg pitched 5,000 career innings, walking exactly 999.  Nolan Ryan pitched 5,386 and walked 2,795.(gag...cough!) 

Strikeout to walk ratio...Greg 3.37, Nolan 2.04

Greg had 70 career wild ptiches, Nolan had 277.

How about old-schooly stats:

Greg won 355 with a .610%, Nolan won 324 with a .526

WHIP...Greg 1.143, Nolan 1.247

ERA...Greg 3.16, Nolan 3.19

A few sabre-stats:

Career WAR...Greg 104.6, Nolan 83.8 (ummm, that's a lot considering Ryan played 4 more seasons)

ERA plus....Greg 132, Nolan 110

162 win%...Greg .518, Nolan .509

Awards and Post-season

Cy Young Awards...Greg 4, Nolan 0

Gold Gloves...Greg 18, Nolan 0 (but don't you dare bunt on him!)

Post Season Wins...Greg 11, Nolan 2 (yes Maddux played with expanded play-offs longer than Nolan)

I know...Nolan had 7 no-hitters to Greg's 0...and he struck out a lot more guys...but sorry pards, that's it. Greg Maddux kicks Nolan Ryan's ass in pretty much every other pitching category. (AngryTexan: Yeah, but Nolan would kick his ass in real life, y'all see what he did to that Ventura feller?"

Maybe...

But there may be 25-50 pitchers who compares more favorably with Greg Maddux than Nolan Ryan.

@BBCG105Reasons

#2 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

Speaking of the book, got it for a Christmas present.  Interesting read and glad I bought a copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).