13 replies to this topic

#1 fat man

fat man

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

I realize Cubs saved $5 million by dealing Soriano to Yankees, but why give up on this season before it even starts. Who knows if Corey Black will ever amount to anything? He has command issues & if he ever makes the bigs it's a while away. We don't have a major league outfield. Soriano would not have blocked any prospects, unless you consider Ryan Sweeney a prospect. He was a good man on and off the field, and if you fall out of contention he's available at the deadline.

I have to think Rickets must have been all over this transaction.

#2 Lakeview Ted

Lakeview Ted

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Twitter:tedcamlive

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Soriano wanted a chance to play in the playoffs. thats why we shipped him. that and we could save some money and figure out what we had in bogusevic, sweeney, schierholtz, and lake among others.

#3 fat man

fat man

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

What we have are a bunch of platoon players. Lake may not be, time will tell. Soriano is better than all of them. I get not bringing somebody in, but  not shipping him out when he's already here and better than what you've got ? Remember, it's a heck of a lot easier tearing it down than building it back up.

#4 Lakeview Ted

Lakeview Ted

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

We are only saving about $7 million over two years and we got Corey black who hit triple digits in 2012. and has a good curve. He is in A ball. let him develop. Did you think we would get a major league ready prospect for Soriano? remember when we traded Alf to the Yankees, in 93 games he had 17 hr, 51 RBIs, and 10 SB .254/.284/.467, It was only after we traded he that he improved for another 17hrs, 50 RBIs,8 SB, and .256/.325/.525 in 58 games.

#5 Lakeview Ted

Lakeview Ted

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Also i believe there was the hope that we could get a Choo, granderson or cruz cheap and on a friendlier deal in the offseason. i dont think the FO saw that those outfielders would get the contracts they did this year

#6 fat man

fat man

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

I don't think the FO had any intention since they don't want to block the prospects they are so high on. My point is you shouldn't give up on the season so easily. Sori was here, & wanted to be. Cubs would be better this year with him than without him. Y

#7 fat man

fat man

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to post so quickly. I think Castro & Rizzo both will get pitched around such that they will both have a tough time again this year. Tomorrow is fine, but don't give up on to-day. Fans need something to cheer for this year. Things could get out of hand quickly. 

#8 Lakeview Ted

Lakeview Ted

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

"shouldn't give up on the season so easily"??? the NL central was a beast division last year. the Cards, Reds, and Pirates were walking away with it early. After 93 games with soriano out there we knew that we were out of it. there was a market for Soriano, and we got a good trade for him. The Reds, Cards and Pirates are still going to be good teams this year. the improvement the cubs need to make is to have bounceback years from castro, rizzo, and Samardzija, (hopefully we sign him to an extension, so all the trade silliness can stop)

IF Samardzija, Wood, Jackson, have improved years, with a bounceback from rizzo, castro, a hitting 2b, and a hitting 3b. thats an improved team with our prospects looking to come up.

Will we get to the playoffs this year. about a 3% chance. but Ithink that what i have seen from this FO is that they will do anything to benefit the big league team. if it means sending soriano, and 17 million to the yankees so we actually get something in return instead of AA depth; excellent

#9 fat man

fat man

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

A salary dump is a salary dump. If Cory base on balls Black was so good would Yankees move him?

Another point. You can't build a team around kids. They need veteran leadership to help them along.

We don't have that at all. Look at the Edmonton Oilers. They've picked first over all  in about 5 consecutive NHL

drafts. Guess what ? They're getting ready to pick first again in June. Great young kids, but drifting aimlessly.

A few pappy guys can go a long way.

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

The Cubs were handcuffed because of Soriano's no trade rights, the fewer teams they can trade to the less leverage they have in trade negotiations

#11 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

We got a good return on Sori.  He is not a part of the future plans, so why keep him and watch his value decrease even further?

#12 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

I'm so confused..........I thought his contract hamstrung the Cubs from signing all the players they wanted while his NTC rights granted in the CBA hamstrung the Cubs from trading him to anyone but the Evil Empire since that's the only place he would go and that he was so terrible that the Cubs had to eat mass amounts of money so they could get back a terrible prospect.

Now your telling me that because we got rid of the albatross of a contract and keeping the terrible player that was a loafer and a bad influence on all of our young Latin players we threw away last season and this one as well?  Not to mention that the prospect we paid million of dollars for can only hope to walk players very quickly.

#13 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:basenarcissist
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

I'm so confused.......

Yep

#14 fat man

fat man

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Since I started the topic, I'll try to unconfuse . My position is we would be better off with Soriano this year. He could have been traded at the deadline if Cubs fall out of contention. Our outfield is not of major league caliber. We shouldn't just give up on the year and save 5 mil

for a pitching prospect Yankees didn't have rated in there top ten. Corey Black has command issues. If a pitcher can't find the plate, he is of no use. It's unlikely Cubs will contend, but Soriano wasn't blocking any of the prospects on the rise, as his contract would have ended by years end. Soriano makes the Cubs better this year. H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).