MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

So things been a little crazy on the goat farm and I thank all of you for the wishes, support, and humor you provided me during my massive infusion of steriods to treat my latest MS flare-up. I'm feeling more normal and think I'm doing better but the next few weeks more test will clarify how the treatment worked.

So during all this the Tanaka drama unfolded and I realized... I don't really care it's just baseball. So today after a tantrum from a member if "I'M MAD AND WANT YOU TO BE MAD" club I responded with the following. I love baseball, the Cubs, and this site and this mini-manifesto sums up the rough sketch of how I look at baseball and sports.

"If something that is to give you joy and entertainment punishes you so much that fits of loud noises and hostility is how you respond- it’s time to find another entertaining distraction. That is what baseball is for fans entertaining distractions that take the weight of our lives and the world off for a few minutes. There are so many real reason to be upset with the world and so many things that our bodies and society burden us with everyday it’s saddens me that people actually watch something they hate so much. For some this hate is their distraction and ESPN, Jim Rome, and others have taught people that Baylessing is healthy way to enjoy sports. It’s sad and pathetic way to waste your time.

For me the day a Cubs game doesn’t give me the pastoral nature only baseball provides, the calms and explosions of every pitch, and the beautiful and poetic truth of a game that at its simplistic is two men, a ball, and a stick. When that becomes bile spewing hatred- I’ll leave. Life is full of joys and sorrows and when we have a choice- choose the joy.

Enjoy life, enjoy your distractions, at any time life may slam you with a reality that makes all this meaningless. I love the Cubs, I love talking about them, I love breaking down stats, I LOVE IT so why would I choose to hate it as so many have done over the past few years.

Take care everyone, hug your kids, love your life."

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

And here's the link so you can see how everyone responded.

http://www.bleachern...#comment-521233

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#3 college_of_coaches

college_of_coaches

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

Well said Goat!  And hang in there friend.  Tonight I'll enjoy a good beer and hug my wife in honor of your words.  (And by good beer, I don't mean the crappy Magic Hat that's been cluttering my fridge since Thanksgiving.)

#4 headscratchin

headscratchin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationDallas Metro Area

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Nothing like a dose of reality (like MS, or a spouse with stage 4 cancer, or some other horrific disease or tragedy) to put things in perspective in someone's life. You have to wonder if some of the spewing vitriol is from folks without enough life experience to have had to put things in perspective, or if they've had those experiences and let the experience beat them down to the point they are just miserable about life in general and need an outlet for their pain.

Hug your wife and kids and have a beer indeed!

The daily "mine's bigger than your's" battles have become very tiresome. I've stopped reading the comments on any posts that have Tanaka or a reference to the front office in the title.

#5 Diesel

Diesel

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Baseball is one of the greatest things I can think of in my life outside of my family and friends.  One of the great things I cherish about baseball is how much it brings my family, friends, and myself together in a way that nothing else does.  Holidays, birthdays, weddings, nothing else even comes close. 

Provided I can get the day off, for the third year in a row, I plan on taking my nephew to a Sacramento River Cats game on father's day.  His father never has been in his life and my sister, and his mother, passed away in 2008.  We enjoy the game and the time out in the sun.  Granted I take him to about every baseball game I can but the father's day game is special to us.  After the game we get to go out onto the field and play catch.  My girlfriend describes it as watching two kids out there despite my age.  While all the fathers are trying to have fun and some are trying to teach a little more about how to throw, my nephew and I are diving all over the place when a throw gets away both hoping to go home with some grass stains from the field on our clothes.  We have such a bond and it has so much to do with baseball.  This year's game will be extra special as the Iowa Cubs will be the opponents this year. 

Please never forget the joy that baseball brings you.  It is something that can not be matched. 

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Well said Goat!  And hang in there friend.  Tonight I'll enjoy a good beer and hug my wife in honor of your words.  (And by good beer, I don't mean the crappy Magic Hat that's been cluttering my fridge since Thanksgiving.)

Good call Magic Hat is in that class of better than domestics but not great beers that are good to keep around when you have somebody visiting but not exactly a beer that really gives you joy. As soon as the doc takes me off this strict diet I'm not sure what I'll have... there is a KBS I was waiting till spring open but I think I sti have a Devil Dancer to enjoy.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

I do believe that the bile spewing community is one of three things:

1-kids that get upset if they don't get the latest Xboxstation game.
2-lovers of Jim Rome and Skip Bayless that believe this iscthevinky way to enjoy sports
3-really bitter people that complain all the time and blame everything for their failures

All of them sadden me greatly.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Provided I can get the day off, for the third year in a row, I plan on taking my nephew to a Sacramento River Cats game on father's day.  ... This year's game will be extra special as the Iowa Cubs will be the opponents this year. 

That sounds like a great time, and a damn good excuse for me to drive up to see an ICubs game.

#9 Greenroom

Greenroom

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Still a great post. Well said Michigan Goat. It snowed 8 inches in VaBeach last night. So needless to say, for those you who don't know, it will shut the city down for 3-4 days. ha My buddy just asked me if this is what it was like growing up in Chicago. I told him 8 inches was like a Monday. damn I am funny. So I will drink to your health Goat, living life, and to my few days off. On tap for today: Dogfish Midas touch, Founders breakfast stout and a Firestone Velvet Merkin. Now where is my guitar. peace~

#10 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Still a great post. Well said Michigan Goat. It snowed 8 inches in VaBeach last night. So needless to say, for those you who don't know, it will shut the city down for 3-4 days. ha My buddy just asked me if this is what it was like growing up in Chicago. I told him 8 inches was like a Monday. damn I am funny. So I will drink to your health Goat, living life, and to my few days off. On tap for today: Dogfish Midas touch, Founders breakfast stout and a Firestone Velvet Merkin. Now where is my guitar. peace~

Heh.  You said "merkin".

#11 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Heh.  You said "merkin".

Of course, you also said "my guitar", which probably makes you cool.

#12 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

Heh.  You said "merkin".

Of course, you also said "my guitar", which probably makes you cool.

I have a guitar and you've never thought I was cool...

(I can play a mean Silent Night (and that's about it))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).