Unless you are an avid Hockey fan(like me), then after Sunday we are heading into a three week sports abyss, so I thought I would break this out today...also being a teacher I am off today and tomorrow and had some time. Little kids cant walk to school or stand at bus stops when the actual temp(non-Wind Chill!) is -16.
I developed this a while back, I am sure there will be some disagreements, and I haven't seen every baseball movie ever...but here goes...
1. Leading off and playing 3B, Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez from The Sandlot.
2. In the 2-hole, playing SS, Tanner Boyle from The Bad News Bears. (The original!)
3. Batting 3rd, who else but the greatest movie hitter of all time...in RF, Roy Hobbs...The Natural.
4. We have a great power/speed combo in the clean-up spot with Kelly Leak, CF, The Bad News Bears.
5. It's only a bit part, but we have a DH on this team...and it's The Whammer from The Natural.
6. The Slugger's Wife is an obscure baseball flick, but LF Darryl Palmer popped 62 homers well before Bonds, McGwire or Sosa...and he was clean! (and he was Danny Noonan in another life)
7. Switch-hitting catcher Crash Davis from Bull Durham...an asset for his bat and his handling of pitchers.
8. He may be playing a new position, but Pedro Cerrano of Major League should be able to man 1B.
9. 2B was the toughest spot to fill, so I decided to thow a bone to Michael "Squints" Palledorous from The Sandlot.
1. The Bad News Bears is my favorite baseball film, so Amanda Wurlitzer is our number 1.
2. Aging Billy Chapel, fresh of his perfect game in For Love of The Game is our No. 2 starter...but....ummm...Crash may have a hard time catching him.
3. If he regains that funky arm injury to throw 115 MPH, Henry Rowengardner of The Rookie of The Year is slotted at number 3.
4. If he can breath through his eyelids, Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh of Bull Durham will man the 4 spot.
5. He may struggle, but I have to include Monty Brewster of Brewster's Millions to hold down the 5th spot. (Gotta have Richard Pryor on the squad if you can)
*** if Rownengardner is back to being a normal little kid who suspiciously looks like he may grow up to be in American Pie, then he will be replaced by the less interesting Roger Clemens inspired Chet Steadman of The Rookie of The Year.
Do you really have to ask?...Ricky Vaughn of Major League.
Ahmad Abduhl Rahim-The Bad News Bears, Mike Engelberg-The Bad News Bears, Joey Turner-The Bad News Bears, Willie Mays Hayes-Major League, Roger Dorn-Major League, Hamilton "Ham" Porter-The Sandlot, Kenny DeNunez-The Sandlot,
Manager- Morris Buttermaker, The Bad News Bears
Coaches- Pop Fischer and Red Blow, The Natural
Bench Coach- Oglivie, The Bad News Bears
Pitching Coach- Larry, Bull Durham (the one time Robert Wuhl was funny!)
Bat Boy- Bobby Savoy, The Natural
feel free to point out additions you would have liked to see...I am excited about this team!