Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Nothing going on? How about the All-Baseball Movie Team?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Unless you are an avid Hockey fan(like me), then after Sunday we are heading into a three week sports abyss, so I thought I would break this out today...also being a teacher I am off today and tomorrow and had some time.  Little kids cant walk to school or stand at bus stops when the actual temp(non-Wind Chill!) is -16.

I developed this a while back, I am sure there will be some disagreements, and I haven't seen every baseball movie ever...but here goes...

THE LINE-UP

1. Leading off and playing 3B, Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez from The Sandlot.

2. In the 2-hole, playing SS, Tanner Boyle from The Bad News Bears. (The original!)

3. Batting 3rd, who else but the greatest movie hitter of all time...in RF, Roy Hobbs...The Natural.

4. We have a great power/speed combo in the clean-up spot with Kelly Leak, CF, The Bad News Bears.

5. It's only a bit part, but we have a DH on this team...and it's The Whammer from The Natural.

6. The Slugger's Wife is an obscure baseball flick, but LF Darryl Palmer popped 62 homers well before Bonds, McGwire or Sosa...and he was clean! (and he was Danny Noonan in another life)

7. Switch-hitting catcher Crash Davis from Bull Durham...an asset for his bat and his handling of pitchers.

8. He may be playing a new position, but Pedro Cerrano of Major League should be able to man 1B.

9. 2B was the toughest spot to fill, so I decided to thow a bone to Michael "Squints" Palledorous from The Sandlot.

THE ROTATION

1. The Bad News Bears is my favorite baseball film, so Amanda Wurlitzer is our number 1.

2. Aging Billy Chapel, fresh of his perfect game in For Love of The Game is our No. 2 starter...but....ummm...Crash may have a hard time catching him.

3. If he regains that funky arm injury to throw 115 MPH, Henry Rowengardner of The Rookie of The Year is slotted at number 3.

4. If he can breath through his eyelids, Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh of Bull Durham will man the 4 spot.

5. He may struggle, but I have to include Monty Brewster of Brewster's Millions to hold down the 5th spot. (Gotta have Richard Pryor on the squad if you can)

*** if Rownengardner is back to being a normal little kid who suspiciously looks like he may grow up to be in American Pie, then he will be replaced by the less interesting Roger Clemens inspired Chet Steadman of The Rookie of The Year.

CLOSER

Do you really have to ask?...Ricky Vaughn of Major League.

BENCH PLAYERS

Ahmad Abduhl Rahim-The Bad News Bears, Mike Engelberg-The Bad News Bears, Joey Turner-The Bad News Bears, Willie Mays Hayes-Major League, Roger Dorn-Major League, Hamilton "Ham" Porter-The Sandlot, Kenny DeNunez-The Sandlot,

COACHING STAFF

Manager- Morris Buttermaker, The Bad News Bears

Coaches-  Pop Fischer and Red Blow, The Natural

Bench Coach- Oglivie, The Bad News Bears

Pitching Coach- Larry, Bull Durham (the one time Robert Wuhl was funny!)

Bat Boy- Bobby Savoy, The Natural

feel free to point out additions you would have liked to see...I am excited about this team!

@BBCG105Reasons

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

You give multiple slots to the abomination called 'bull durham' (that travesty doesn't even deserve the dignity of capital letters') and completely ignore "Bang the Drum Slowly."

At the very least you've got to slot Author into your rotation.

King Kelly (It Happens Every Spring) should be in the rotation as well.  He had a pitch that literally avoided bats (if he, um, you know, used some additive on the ball...).

Shoeless Joe (Field of Dreams) seems like an easy fit somewhere.  Why not add a could-have-been Hall of Famer?

#3 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

I couldn't put real guys on there, of course then I could have put Astros Cesar Cedeno and Bob Watson from The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training....

My brothers always sing the praises of "Bang The Drum Slowly" and "Long Gone", but I haven't seen them...

King Kelly definitely is a slight on my part

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).