Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:basenarcissist
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Just doing an informal quick glance, I think I'm noticing something that strikes me as a bit odd.

The people who are more likely to put more value in traditional statistics (BA, W-L etc.) also seem to be more likely to suggest the Cubs should leave Wrigley field, and the people who prefer more modern statistical interpretations seem to see the Cubs as uniquely entwined with the ivy-covered Friendly Confines.

It seems on the surface like a tug between modernization and tradition that exists in all of us, but I think deep down it's pretty logical.

Am I wrong?

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

I noticed something similar earlier.

Those that hate the mascot and the jumbotron, want to move.

Those that accept the mascot and the jumbotron, want to stay.

I would love to see a survey that showed age, education level, and the number of "I HATE TOM RICKETTS/THEO/JED" posts.

#3 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

I noticed this...

those that post on a message board want to stay

those that don't start posts want to leave

I don't think people want the Cubs to have to move.  I think a lot of people are just tired of the Cubs being fleeced by the city and the rooftops.  I think people are just getting tired of all of the loosing and want the Cubs to have every advantage that they can get.  I think most of the people want the Cubs to win , and they all just have different ideas on how to get there.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

This is interesting. I also see a correlation with the folks who tend to be the most ardent supporters of "The Plan" and the non-movers. I wonder why one thing has anything to do with the other (just like the things you guys point out).

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

I haven't noticed, but then I'm one of the exceptions.

I'm definitely in the modern stats camp, love the idea of a jumbotron done right (so help me if they put up a single kiss cam...), and I think the mascot is a great idea.  

But I'm generally pro move (although I don't tend to promote that in my commenting).

#6 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:basenarcissist
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

Well my theory is that from a financial metrics point of view moving seems like a ridiculous proposition. The pure numbers suggest the property located northeast of Clark & Addison loses a lot of value if there isn't a baseball team there. They also suggest based on the general principle that terrible teams beget terrible attendance the Cubs are out drawing their record and the only explanation is the park.

The idea that the rooftop owners would be screwed if the Cubs move is absolutely true and really easy to understand, but the advanced numbers tell a different story.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

I would love a nice new stadium with all the bells and whistles and night games willy nilly.

All of those things could make for a HUGE advantage for the Cubs. I just don't know where you could put it and still draw fans year in and year out. Now several decades of losing will depress attendance at any stadium but a park in the burbs would see much wilder swings.

The trend of the last 20 years has been to get your ass back downtown in an old timey looking stadium. Unless there is going to be a reversal of that trend not sure why the Cubs would want to buck it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).