#1 udbrky

udbrky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:udbrky

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

I took a shot at making projections. I used Mike Podhorzer's formulas. I adjusted pitching stats for K/BB/HR to per batter rather than per 9 IP to get a little more accurate. It didn't end up being that much different. I then projected these based on projected babip, plate appearances, from www.fangraphs.com data. I compared my projections to ZIPS, Steamer, Oliver, Baseball Prospectus and Ron Shankler's Baseball Forecasting to make sure that my projections were in range. My plan is to use this information to play daily fantasy baseball, but started with the Cubs, of course, and thought I'd share. Apparently my baseball nerddom knows no bounds.

hitters_zpsf31ec0fd.png

I only projected the top 7 starters, no relievers. I'm not doing closers, because lol closers, and you shouldn't play them in Daily fantasy. Win projections takes the pythagorean method . Then, I got the runs scored/allowed from Clay Davenport.

pitcher_zps6974c6e2.png

#2 Okiecubhawk

Okiecubhawk

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

I think there is something wrong with your slugging numbers -- Rizzo only slugging .291??

#3 udbrky

udbrky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Nice catch - a faulty cell input. They still look at little off. I only looked at the main projections - ave/obp/babip/2b/3b/hr, found the errors, will replace the photo.

#4 udbrky

udbrky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'm not sure why it is still showing up. I deleted the photo and uploaded this one.

hitters_zpsae4047ee.png

#5 udbrky

udbrky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

Also, projected Veras - 36 saves (60 opportunities). I'm hoping he's gone by my birthday (July 25).

#6 Okiecubhawk

Okiecubhawk

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

I'm not sure why it is still showing up. I deleted the photo and uploaded this one.

hitters_zpsae4047ee.png

That would be a fantastic season from Rizzo, Castillo and Schierholtz.  However, if Olt does that it would be a disaster!

#7 udbrky

udbrky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:33 PM

I really expect Castro and Rizzo to rebound. I maybe drinking the Kool Aid though. :)

I wouldn't project Olt higher until seeing if he's 100%.

#8 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

CF and RF look better than expected with those projections, LF with Lake and Vitters looks down right dreadful though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).