#1 Doctor_Blair

Doctor_Blair

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:Doctor_Blair

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

Hey all! Loved the blog and twitter/facebook posts. I followed all season long, and I've never felt more informed about the Cubs, prospects, etc.

Obviously the Cubs have to do something about pitching in 2012. It doesn't seem like we have enough good starters and would need to make some changes.

What could the Cubs do to better their situation for the 2012 season?

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

Welcome Dr., love the avatar! The problem with 2012 pitching is there isn't much in FA that's worth getting. CJ Wilson is the best but he's expecting 100M and after him there is soooo little worthwhile free agents.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

Unfortunately, the FA market probably isn't going to provide the solution. The Cubs need an extremely lucky confluence of Cashner coming back healthy, Wells coming back to his 2009/2010 form, ditto Dempster, Garza leaping forward to uber-ace, and a surprise youngster emerging.

All of that is... not likely.

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:54 AM

This is my biggest concern. As has already been stated, the Free Agent market will be really thin. Apparently there is not much ready down on the farm if we have resorted to Rodrigo Lopez. I think 2012 is going to be another ugly year.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#5 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

Unfortunately, the FA market probably isn't going to provide the solution. The Cubs need an extremely lucky confluence of Cashner coming back healthy, Wells coming back to his 2009/2010 form, ditto Dempster, Garza leaping forward to uber-ace, and a surprise youngster emerging.

All of that is... not likely.

No, but some of that is likely.

#6 Doctor_Blair

Doctor_Blair

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:Doctor_Blair

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

I'm starting to wish that the whole Zambrano thing a few weeks back would have gone down a little differently...

In light of what the Cubs are facing next year it would have been nice to hang on to him for another season. Earlier this year (before the all-star break) it seemed like he was the only starting pitcher that could be somewhat relied upon.

But he does have a major attitude problem and that obviously can't be allowed to continue.

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'm starting to wish that the whole Zambrano thing a few weeks back would have gone down a little differently...

In light of what the Cubs are facing next year it would have been nice to hang on to him for another season. Earlier this year (before the all-star break) it seemed like he was the only starting pitcher that could be somewhat relied upon.

But he does have a major attitude problem and that obviously can't be allowed to continue.

I kinda agree, it would be nice to have another warm body to be part of this staff next year, but it's obvious that Z was a cancer to this team and even if it means we have to throw out Coleman/Davis/Lopez next year instead of him we are a better team.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#8 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City of the Plains

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

im saying no on cj wilson. when the dust settles, and we look back on the pitching market, he's sure to be really overpaid, and an annoying, payroll-eating, contract in the middle of our lineup. he's pitching well in a contract year and therefore his performance should be taken with a grain of salt. if it means we suck, so be it, i think we'll suck anyway.
i wonder if we can pry away some would be free agents before their contracts are up by offering some prospects in exchange... like the red sox did with gonzalez, and then sign them to an extension? hamels would sure look purty in a cubs uniform. the phillies have an awful lot of money tied up in pitching (and a big f'n payroll) ... and with the emergence of Worley maybe.... eh, im sure they will figure out a way to pay him,
anyway, i wonder if there are others that might be out there? hopefully the new GM can get creative... we definitley need to invest in pitching.

#9 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Hardtop I completely agree with everything you said. I would love to get CJ Wilson, but as you said, he will be overpaid and we should not get into a bidding war for his services. The best option we have is for the new GM to get creative and look for those trades, sign Rule 5 prospects, and maybe sign a reliable, inning-eating veteran. Edwin Jackson is an interesting FA to consider as well as Maholm (although I am now concerned about this health). It would be great if a off the radar minor league kid makes a splash and works his way into the rotation. It will be a exciting off season to be sure and I'm glad we have this forum to have these discussions

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#10 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City of the Plains

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hardtop I completely agree with everything you said....

thats 'cause i stole a lot of your thoughts off the blog comments and regurgitated them here :D

i dont think the new gm will do much next year. he'll need to evaluate all of the current big league roster and the minor leaguers to determine what we have and what pieces we can move. maybe a short term veteran like jackson. but yeah, some wheelin and dealin to land some key guys before FA would be cool... seems like the best opportunity to negotiate reasonable contracts.

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

Hardtop I completely agree with everything you said....

thats 'cause i stole a lot of your thoughts off the blog comments and regurgitated them here :D

Reparations will be paid in full my good sir!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).