14 replies to this topic

#1 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

With all the talk and speculation about the Garza trade possibilities, getting Rizzo from the Padres, and should we or shouldn't we go after Fielder, I keep wondering why not give a shot to LaHair?

Yes I understand that he is considered old for a prospect at 29. Yes I know that he's average at best defensively. And yes many people much smarter than I am, in the organization, seem to think he's not the solution, long term. But let's consider a few things.

1. His last 3 years in the minors:
2009 - .289/26/85
2010 - .308/25/81
2011 - .331/38/109

All those numbers with around 450 AB's each of those 3 years.

2. He is 29, which isn't exactly ancient.

3. He'd be cheap as our starting 1B.

4. Several publications have him in the top 3-5 of 1B prospects.. right up there with Alonso & Rizzo.

5. He hit well after his call up last year,

So why not? Why not pass on Fielder, and not have to give up prospects for RIzzo? We could perhaps get a cheap 1B next year that hits 20-25hrs and probably posts a higher batting average than Pena did last year.

I'm not saying to just give the job to him, but I'm not understanding why it seems like such a long shot.

#2 Ashley

Ashley

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:CubsFan1023
  • Facebook:Ashley Bolton
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

I would not mind LaHair at all! He proved he could hit the ball when he was called up in September. If the Cubs can't get Rizzo or another prospect than I would not mind LaHair for a few years.

#3 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

I'd like too see LaHair get a good shot next year. I think people are undervaluing him.

#4 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

I'd still like to see Prince if the deal is for 5 years, or 7 as long as the last two are club controlled options. If that doesn't happen I'd rather see LaHair get a shot rather than trading prospects.

Even though I don't necessarily agree that the state of the Cubs farm system is as bad as some make it out to be at present, it's getting better. Why risk giving some of the better parts of that system away for a player that as far as I can tell hasn't proven a whole lot more than laHair has.

#5 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

I keep hearing how bad the system is.. think about this, we just had the minor league player of the year in LaHair. We have a top 3 OF prospect in Brett Jackson, we just had possibly our best draft in 20 years, and just recently brought up a guy who could be terrific in Castro. Our system hasn't been as bad as advertised, it just lacks depth. And with a couple more moves and one more solid draft, we could have it!

#6 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

I keep hearing how bad the system is.. think about this, we just had the minor league player of the year in LaHair. We have a top 3 OF prospect in Brett Jackson, we just had possibly our best draft in 20 years, and just recently brought up a guy who could be terrific in Castro. Our system hasn't been as bad as advertised, it just lacks depth. And with a couple more moves and one more solid draft, we could have it!

Our system isn't the worst but it is far from the best.
And we lack pitching depth pretty bad.

#7 KCubsfan

KCubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

Why not Get Rizzo and have LaHair start the season at 1B and start Rizzo at AAA.

#8 MightyBear

MightyBear

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPearland, Texas

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

First I think LaHair would be a good cheap option at first for 2012. Hopefully, he displays the type of hitting he did in the minors. Remember, he was a first round pick of Seattle. Second, giving LaHair a shot shouldn't preclude the Cubs from getting Rizzo if they can. Rizzo is 22 and if he turns out to be ready next year, and LaHair hits as well, LaHair can still play the outfield and you could play them both, especially against right handers. Third, the Cubs system isn't that bad but they have two glaring deficiencies, good starting pitching at the higher levels and impact superstar type players. Jay Jackson and some others who didn't perform at AAA or the big league level showed that starting pitching at AAA and AA is scarce for the Cubbies. Also, while guys like Brett Jackson and Szcur and others are projected to be good major league players, nobody in the Cubs system is projected to be all star caliber (like Castro). That is why the Cubs system is middle of the pack. This could change.

#9 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

I've seen LaHair play a lot at AAA and he absolutely crushes the ball. I'd like to see them give him a chance if they don't sign Fielder or another 1B.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#10 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:01 AM

I say play him. Best case scenario, he proves to be a major league hitter and we can keep him or trade him. Worst case, he goes to the bench or AAA at league minimum pay and someone else plays. It's not like this team's aiming for 100 wins. If the Cubs don't sign Prince Fielder, then I would much rather see what LaHair has instead of bringing back Pena or signing one of these other mediocre stopgaps. The boy can mash the ball. He makes up one of the few story lines that actually intrigue me going into 2012.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:39 AM

If LaHair was a serious talent that scouts and experts believed could be successful at the MLB level don't you think we'd here something like that outside of the fans? Wouldn't be teams interested in trading for him? It is this lack of MLB interest that tells me there must be a serious flaw that everyone knows will be exposed during a MLB season. There has to be a reason that Theo & Co. isn't mentioning him during all the 1B talk. These guys are smart, they have to be seriously concerned.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#12 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:57 AM

I hear what your saying MG, but I also know what I saw in his breif chance last year. I thought he had a very good swing, not long and loopy like Colvin's, and also seemed to have good plate presence. He never looked like he was totally overmatched.

I'd be OK with giving him a shot.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#13 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:35 AM

Phil I agree his swing looks good (but I just goat not an expert), I really think it has to do with a pitch or pitch location.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#14 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

Why not Get Rizzo and have LaHair start the season at 1B and start Rizzo at AAA.

That's exactly what I hope happens at this point.

#15 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

That's exactly what I hope happens at this point.

Or any 1b prospect. If we don't get Fielder on a 5 year deal then the only option I see (unless we get Morales) is getting a 1b prospect and see what LaHair is about. If he absolutely mashes and you want to call up that prospect then LaHair gets to be our starting LF.

LaHair being Opening Day 1b will not be the thing that keeps us from winning the Central this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).