King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Just to pour salt in the wounds...

In Mark Prior's AAA debut in Des Moines, how many batters did he K and how many home runs did he hit?

Bonus Question:  How many of those home runs did I get to see?

#2 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

I'm pretty sure I remember he hit two that day. I'll guess 10 K's

Bonus Question: 0, same as me for I was much more concerned with getting stoned and drunk then. Wait that hasn't changed I must of been chasing pussy.

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

10Ks and 2 HRs is right.

Unfortunately, I chose to go to the bathroom for each of those.

#4 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

10Ks and 2 HRs is right.

Hey I was right! Maybe I wasn't as stoned and drunk as I thought I was. 

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#5 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

I was there.  I was there early.  That might have been the last spontaneous thing I did. 

I remember the players coming out to the field and seeing me and my buddy by the bullpen just straining to see which one was Prior. 

"Aw, hey.  His flight got delayed.  Prior's not pitching 'til tomorrow night."

[Jaws dropped in horror]

"Ah hahahaha."

Yeah, it was like ten k's in only 5 innings.  And the homers were just crushed.  They were not cheapies.  Then they pulled him and as he's walking back to the clubhouse, some guy comes running down to the edge of the stands.  "Hey, Mark.  Hey.  Could I get an autograph?"  Prior never broke stride, never looked up.  Never acknowledged anything or anyone was around him.  My buddy says, "Man.  Prior's kind of a dick."  "Are you kidding?  If he stopped, can you imagine how many more people would magically appear?  And this is the absolute wrong time.  He's pretty focused on the game right now."

#6 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Same deal with Rizzo for me. I went to many of the games he played and he hit 23 hr's while in AAA but the one he hit at the game I was at I missed because I was in the can. I saw Lake hit two and he only hit four in his 40 games in AAA. One of those was the 2nd shot of back to back to back homers.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

I just remember Sec Taylor being packed and the stadium buzzing with excitement.  We had seats a little ways up right behind home plate and his pitches were amazing, at least to my 19 year old self.

From an article in the LA Times:

"Prior struck out 10 before being lifted when he reached his 110-pitch limit with nobody on and two out in the eighth inning of a 6-1 victory over the Tucson Sidewinders."

Amazing how much of a difference in attitude there is with pitch counts.  No one would ever dream of having a 110-pitch limit for a phenom in AAA these days...

Quote from Strasburg's AAA debut:

Strasburg tossed six dazzling innings for the Chiefs, allowing just two base runners -- on a single on a soft grounder up the middle in the fourth and a six-pitch walk in the fifth -- while striking out six in a 65-pitch gem

#8 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

10Ks and 2 HRs is right.

So you went to the bathroom 12 times during the game. You must have drunk a LOT of beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).