Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Bickering that no one other than those already involved would care about.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

This started out with somebody making a simple statement that Rosemont would be a pain.

No, there was context. Let's get our facts straight. It actually started out with Dan Bernstein's Tweet:

Sources: #Cubs frustration w/rooftops' intransigence is high enough that they are discussing "unavoidable prospect" of options elsewhere.

Then came Brett's post, "Obsessive Wrigley Renovation Watch: Cubs Reportedly Discussing 'Options Elsewhere'".
http://www.bleachern...ions-elsewhere/

The phrase "Options Elsewhere" referred to options, other than Wrigley Field, that the Cubs could consider for use as their home field.

JulioZuleta understood this context when he said:

No doubt you’d lose a considerable segment of city-living fans, but I don’t think there would be much of an attendance hit. I grew up in the NW burbs, and I can tell you that a huge % of the people out there don’t come to games now due to the drive and parking situation. There are a whole lot of fairly wealthy people that would love to see this move happen. A move would be sad, though.

http://www.bleachern...#comment-526548

Argonzo also understood the context to be "options other than Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field" when he replied:

I’d get season tickets. I know a lot of people out here that’d do the same. I don’t quite know that it’s 1:1 but for an awful lot of the people just going for the park [currently] there are fans out here that don’t go to games now because it’s such a pain to get there, park, and get out.

Emphasis mine. http://www.bleachern...#comment-526631

**Note well that Argonzo basically says that he doesn't think that attendance would drop off all that much, because Wrigley involves "pain" to "get there, park, and get out".

To all appearances, Ron Swansons Mustache knew that the context was "options, other than Wrigley Field, that the Cubs could consider for use as their home field" and was responding to Argonzo's "pain" comment when he replied to Argonzo:

And going to Rosemont would be a huge pain to get there and get out. The suburbs are a shit idea – would be ideal if they had a legitimate option somewhere else in the city.

http://www.bleachern...#comment-526672

In the context of "options, other than Wrigley Field, that the Cubs could consider for use as their home field", saying that "going to Rosemont would be a huge pain to get there and get out[;] the suburbs are a shit idea" can scarcely be interpreted to mean anything other than that Rosemont is such a huge pain to get into and out of that it must be dismissed as an option other than Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field.

IR then suggested that, if that were true, nobody would fly in and out of O’Hare.

That's certainly an easier statement to attack than what I really said, so I understand your desire to mischaracterize my actual statement. (I don't think it's very honest, but I understand the temptation.) What I really said was, "Exactly. That’s why nobody ever flies out of O’Hare." http://www.bleachern...#comment-526675

My point being that, it's not such a "huge pain" that an enormous number of people are not able to get into and out of Rosemont every single day of the year. So many, in fact, that I don't think it's reasonable to dismiss Rosemont as an option, other than Wrigley Field, that the Cubs could consider for use as their home field on those grounds alone.

Of course, that is obviously false on its face, since it’s entirely possibly (and probably true) that people fly in and out of O’Hare in spite of the fact that it’s a pain.

Okay. You think that your mischaracterized statement is "obviously false on its face". That's fine, as far as it goes, but you're not addressing my point at all.

Since O’Hare is itself a pain, making comparisons to O’Hare in no way contradicts the contention that Rosemont would be a pain for Cubs games."

Maybe not, but it doesn't matter, because I was responding to the topic at hand. In the context of "ptions, other than Wrigley Field, that the Cubs could consider for use as their home field", saying that "going to Rosemont would be a huge pain to get there and get out[;] the suburbs are a shit idea" can scarcely be interpreted to mean anything other than that Rosemont is such a huge pain to get into and out of that it must be dismissed as an option other than Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field.

I never even attempted to "contradict[] the contention that Rosemont would be a pain for Cubs games." Why would I? It's immaterial. My point was that it's not such a "huge pain to get there and get out" that an enormous number of people are not able to do it every single day of the year. So many, in fact, that I don't think it's reasonable to dismiss Rosemont as an option other than Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field on that basis alone.

(cont'd)

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#2 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

IR then starts in with arguments to show that it is possible to have large events in Rosemont.

You must have missed this comment from Brett:

You want me to break down the difference between groups of people traveling constantly in and out to an international airport, and 30 to 40,000 people coming together at the same time to go to a ballpark (and then leaving at the same time)?

I think I just did.
*Drops rap battle mic.*"

http://www.bleachern...#comment-526707

To me, Brett seemed to be implying at the very least that, just because hundreds of thousands of people can move through O'Hare on a daily basis, that doesn't mean that "it is possible to have large events in Rosemont"... or as large as a Cubs game, anyway.

I responded to Brett's comment by showing that it is in fact possible to have large events in Rosemont. That's not what "moving the goalpost" is.

No doubt, it is possible, . . .

No doubt. Thank you.

. . . but that was not the issue.

It certainly wasn't the main issue, but it was the issue that Brett raised. And while not persuasive to me, it did seem at least relevant to the discussion.

The issue was whether Rosemont is a pain.

Please pay attention: In the context of "options other than Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field", saying that "going to Rosemont would be a huge pain to get there and get out[;] the suburbs are a shit idea" can scarcely be interpreted to mean anything other than that Rosemont is such a huge pain to get into and out of that it must be dismissed as an option other than Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field.

Goalposts just moved.

You obviously don't understand what this means. Maybe you meant "changing the subject", but that would be something that you'd need to take up with Brett. He's the one who started that tunnel off of the main rabbit hole.

Boom.

Heh. Danth's Law.

My Ignore List:

#3 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Then we get the statement that: “Rosemont would be a pain, but that alone doesn’t make it implausible, because Wrigleyville is also a pain and we flock there in droves.”
"First, “Rosemont would be a pain” is a concession of the point that was originally being contested."

No, it's not. Please pay attention: In the context of "options other than Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field", saying that "going to Rosemont would be a huge pain to get there and get out[;] the suburbs are a shit idea" can scarcely be interpreted to mean anything other than that Rosemont is such a huge pain to get into and out of that it must be dismissed as an option other than Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field.

I thought the existence of O’Hare was supposed to prove that Rosemont would not be a pain."

You thought wrong. As stated ad nauseum, the fact that so many people move through O'Hare on a daily basis shows that Rosemont is not such a huge pain to get into and out of that it must be dismissed, on that basis alone, as an alternative to Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field..

Second, the initial point was not whether Rosemont is plausible, but whether it would be a pain.

No, the initial point was "Cubs frustration w/rooftops' intransigence is high enough that they are discussing 'unavoidable prospect' of options elsewhere."

The point that I was responding to was Ron Swanson's Mustache's: "going to Rosemont would be a huge pain to get there and get out[;] the suburbs are a shit idea", which was made in the context of "options other than Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field". Again, that can scarcely be interpreted to mean anything other than that Rosemont is such a huge pain to get into and out of that it must be dismissed as an option other than Wrigley Field that the Cubs could use as a home field.

Goalposts just moved again.

Nope. You still don't have the hang of it.

Boom.

Danth's Law. Again.

Third, 'Wrigley is also a pain' may be a legitimate point, . . .

Thank you.

. . . but it does not support the suggestion that the existence of O’Hare somehow means that Rosemont is not a pain.

I agree. Of course, none of what I've said depends on that in the slightest.

Goal posts just moved again. Boom.

This is comical, but I don't think in the way you intended.

Finally, when all else fails, conduct a diversionary action by attacking Darth’s use of the goal post analogy. I won’t even dignify that by calling it a goal post move. It’s just simple, everday douchebaggery.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I really am. I am sometimes too blunt. But you're not using that phrase anywhere close to correctly.

And that's true whether I'm a douchebag or not.

Note that I'm reserving the right to edit the formatting on this monster, as well as correcting mistakes of grammar, etc.

My Ignore List:

#4 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:basenarcissist
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Thank goodness you left me out of it.
My analogy was AWESOME!

BOOM!

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

styxtoomuchtime.jpg

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

tumblr_muqc8aRu2q1rti6djo1_500.gif

#7 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

neil%20patrick%20harris%20barney%20stins

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

Well that was um interesting and as confusing as it was when it was happening live but still fun to see it all written out again... IR makes sure that horse is dead and I love it.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

tumblr_muqc8aRu2q1rti6djo1_500.gif

CHICK FIGHT! Some one call Katie and tell her to get out her wrench!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#10 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

IR makes sure that horse is dead and I love it.

A word, to the wise, is sufficient. Others require repetition.

(I note that you continue to respond to it.)

My Ignore List:

#11 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

styxtoomuchtime.jpg

It didn't take as long as it looks like it did, but it definitely took longer than its worth... and longer than I would have wanted it to.

And you're right... if only I could spend as little time on BN as you do, I might actually accomplish something.

My Ignore List:

#12 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

A word, to the wise, is sufficient. Others require repetition.(I note that you continue to respond to it.)

Dude I'm just bustin balls here, I like that you can disagree and continue to stay I point. It's a trait I wish more poster had.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#13 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

A word, to the wise, is sufficient. Others require repetition.(I note that you continue to respond to it.)

Dude I'm just bustin balls here, I like that you can disagree and continue to stay I point. It's a trait I wish more poster had.

No te preocupes. I took it in the manner that it was intended.

My Ignore List:

#14 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

styxtoomuchtime.jpg

It didn't take as long as it looks like it did, but it definitely took longer than its worth... and longer than I would have wanted it to.And you're right... if only I could spend as little time on BN as you do, I might actually accomplish something.

Sigh...I do spend far too much time here.

#15 DarthHater

DarthHater

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Bickering that no one other than Internet Random would care about.

FTFY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).