J.F.Edwards

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Twitter:JoshuaEdwards3@twitter.com
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

I haven't posted much since last season, I only occasionally comment on articles, but I read BN every day. And this caught my attention because it echoes so much of what we all discuss around here. So it's a great listen, and I'm curious what Brett, Luke, and the forum regulars have to say about this interview with WEEI. 

Among other things, he mentioned wanting to trade for Junichi Tazawa once he was on the Cubs side of things. I wonder what that trade would look like?

How he talks about the evolution of baseball---specifically referencing the CBA changes---makes me wonder what he had in mind when he first came to Chicago. (Can you imagine what the "The FIrst Draft of the Plan" might have looked like?)

The inability to emphasize the draft, Tanaka, long-term to commitments to young players are some other topics. I hope you all enjoy it. I thought it was a good talking point for discussion around here.

"You may run like Mayes but you hit like shit."

#2 J.F.Edwards

J.F.Edwards

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Twitter:JoshuaEdwards3@twitter.com
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

"Threshold level/Core player" evaluations, "makeup" and other factors that can affect a given contract situation (including player controlled vs. agent-controlled negotiations)--there's just so much good stuff for diehard fans in this interview. 

Not to mention a thousand arguments on the comment boards that can use these Epstein quotes...lol

"You may run like Mayes but you hit like shit."

#3 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

Richest inside-the-front-office vein I recall hearing. I will listen again, with a pen in my hand next time.
First observations: 1) it was painful to listen to because he sounds a bit wistful about his Red Sox 'decade'--I gotta remember that he knew he was talking to the Boston market in the off-season, so some legacy/retrospective stuff is to be expected; 2) first version of the plan must have included raiding "the bounty" of each draft class (and letting mature players walk near the peak of their value as a general strategy)--we've been slowed (as has all MLB by the CBA) to maybe one top-projecting guy per year, and locking up more 'core' players (Castro, Rizzo) before or even at their peak value (Shark?); 3) the man is so happy when getting into projections/scouting/player development, and the people in the organization who do this--exactly where he is placing resources now.
I can't wait to hear what others think (and Spriggs feels) about this interview. I guess it didn't have much new, but it was confirmational and helped me organize my expectations. When we make "our run" it won't be for a single season; it is going to be sustained and systemic.
Thanks for posting this, J.F.

#4 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

One bit of possible forshadowing I caught was when he was discussing John Lester at about the 23 minute mark ...Lester will knock of wood get a chance to get another bite of the apple....in regards to free agency!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).