Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Can people attend Spring Training practice before games start?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnbres2

johnbres2

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:@johnbres2
  • Facebook:John Breslin

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

I will be in the Phoenix area for a couple days, after the 21st but before the 1st game on the 27th.  Does anyone know if a fan can go attend Cubs's practice in Mesa at that time?  I can't find any info or schedule on this.  Thanks.

#2 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

I obviously have not been to the new stadium, but yes there is a lot of cool stuff you can watch. In years past I could spend an entire day watching baseball.  You should be able to watch numerous different activities.  It is usually about as complicated as going to your local ball diamond in the middle of the summer and watching a game.  The main difference is there you will actually be watching current, future, and past Chicago Cub players.  My advise is ask around, or just show up.  They tend to have a pretty set game, or non game routine.  You should have no problems finding something cool to do .   Go early, and wait for players to show up?  They used to work most mornings, and quit before the heat of the day (if I remember)  or maybe they would quit for games?  Either way it is a once in a lifetime experience if you are a Cub Fan.

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

It seems like Spriggs was able to do it.

#4 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Hi,

Not sure how it will be at the new park.  There are several practice fields in addition to the ball park with stands.  There should be plenty going on to see.  

A couple years back we went to the minor league complex and were right behind the screen (like a high school screen) watching Sandberg working with the kids.  It was a blast.

If you are unsure, call over there but my guess it it is fine.

regards,

#5 DuranDuran86

DuranDuran86

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Hi, I found this on their website.

Practice and workouts will be held in the Cubs Park complex, just west of the ballpark. Practice times vary throughout Spring Training. The first full-squad workout will be held Wednesday, Feb. 19. The facility is open to fans to enjoy except the primary ballpark, which will only be open for games. There will not be a charge for parking on days where there are only workouts.

#6 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Yes, 4 practice fields (#4 thru #7) are where the public workouts and drills will begin Friday the 14th.  After the position players arrive, you will see some live pitching to hitters and regular "live" batting practice (as opposed to hitting in cages).  As noted above, it is on the far west end of the complex and there is a parking lot over there right near the entrance to those fields.  

In general, you can expect the workouts to start at 9 am and go through about 1 pm (sometimes a little later).  The extra practice will take place where the fans won't have access (2 other fields, the batting cages, the workout equipment area).

#7 Stevehill1323

Stevehill1323

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Check this Facebook page everyone. He just completed updating the cubs mesa Az spring training facility and is giving away an autographed Ryne Sandberg jersey. THIS IS THE Year.. They are located in Scotsdale. Like and share for chance to win!

https://m.facebook.c...&soft=side-area

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).