Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

I loved stats when I was a kid. I played hours and hours of Strat-O-Matic-Baseball...just to accumulate stats, and did them by hand!( yes kids there was a day when we played board games and actually used math in fun ways) However even an old stat-warrior like myself(this coming year will be our 23rd season of Rotisserie Baseball) doesn't quite understand all the new fangled metrics that our out there. Brett suggested the other day that maybe the site should attempt to educate readers on some of these new things like WAR, BAPIP and all the rest. I decided to go a different direction....why not make up some our our own new metrics? I have been messing with the formula on my first entry for awhile...it's far from perfect, but it could be fun:

S.A.P. (Slow Ass Percentage)

This stat is designed to illustrate just how slow some runners are...feel free to make suggestions for the formula. So far, my limited research has left me with the idea that .350 is about average speed. Michael Bourn checks in at a .638, Starlin Castro a .478....while Geo Soto is a turtle like .223. Here is the formula:

RUNS SCORED-HR+3b(X2)+SB-CS= FIRST NUMBER (Castro was a 112)

TOTAL TIMES ON BASE-HRS=SECOND NUMBER
(Castro was at 234)

DIVIDE FIRST NUMBER BY SECOND NUMBER=
S.A.P. 112/234= .478

some other numbers, to either validate or ridicule this new stat depending on your opinion

1982 RICKEY HENDERSON .823 (42 cs!)
1985 VINCE COLEMAN .963
2011 PAUL KONERKO .175

#2 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

I like it

How about the Soriano's Heinoius Inability Tracker? 5(OBP-.330) + 2(AVG - .270) + SB% + 3B% - .35(K%-BB%) - (1-Fielding%) - GIDP% - 12x1012 *(A), where A = 1 if the player is actually Alfonso Soriano, 0 otherwise. The more negative the score, the more like Alfonso Soriano this player is.

Proof of Concept: Alfonso Soriano's SHIT score is orders of magnitude worse than everyone else in the league, confirming that he is both awful and, indeed, is actually Alfonso Soriano.

Other Players:
Barry Bonds: Career .588, very good ball player, nothing like Soriano
Alfonso Soriano: -12x1012, verrrry low score, very comparable to Soriano, shitty ballplayer

I rest my case

#3 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

On a serious note though, yea, any sort of BNmetrics that you want to semi-seriously work on, I'll help out

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

rats......I was working on a S.H.I.T. acronym....as of now I just plan on doing some more SAPs of fast and slow guys....

#5 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

I like this. I remember getting Roger Clemens MVP baseball for the Sega way back in the day. It didn't keep track of stats through the season so I kept a scorebook of every game I played for like two entire seasons.

Man I was lame.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

Tony Campana - .978
Yadier Molina - .211

Stat proven - now we just need someone to sit at their computer and compile this stat for ALL major and minor league players in baseball.

Also, I don't understand ROTO folks...HEAD-TO-HEAD ALL THE WAY!!!

#7 Coach Harris

Coach Harris

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Don't feel bad Wild Thing. I also logged stats for RBI Baseball on Nintento.

My two brothers and our neighbor actually had a league.

We kept track of W's, L's, and HR's...all in a notebook.

Sadly I still remember that Ellis Burks (of my dominating Red Sox) led the league in HR's...off the bench and from the leadoff spot I might add. He was kind of like a right handed Brady Anderson...minus the sideburns and steroids.

#8 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

I dedicated much of my childhood to SOM. I still have the binders with scoresheets. I even got into a keeper league using the computer game a few years back but my wife decided I had to be a grown up and help raise the children blah blah blah. I remember doing the stats (Roughly 1986 - 1992) and wondering why OBP wasn't valued more.

#9 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

at one time we had every team in STRAT from 1971 to the 90's....but my careless nature as a youngster allowed them to be lost....wish I had them now...there is a market for them on EBAY

#10 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

I never played that game but it sounds like the modern day equivelant is Baseball Mogul. Love that game.

#11 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

Stat looks great, might try to add in some fraction of doubles into the equation, maybe 1/5th?

#12 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

Stat looks great, might try to add in some fraction of doubles into the equation, maybe 1/5th?

I actually love this stat as a speed and baserunning rater. Just need a way to further remove power from the equation though. Maybe add in inside-the-park-homers, bunt hits, infield hits, stolen third base, 1st to third and 1st to home. That is probably getting outside the scope of the post but this may be a polishable turd.

#13 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm too lazy to do the math, but Mark Grace in the late 90's had to have one of the all time records for SAP. I have a hard time remembering a slower man on the base paths. Grace is one of my favorite Cubs in my lifetime but that dude was hilariously slow.

#14 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm too lazy to do the math, but Mark Grace in the late 90's had to have one of the all time records for SAP. I have a hard time remembering a slower man on the base paths. Grace is one of my favorite Cubs in my lifetime but that dude was hilariously slow.

Slowest Cub ever?

Jodyyyyyyyyyyyy, Jody Davis

Just did the math. According to the above calcs, Jody Davis' SAP is an beyond-anemic .191.

Edited by TWC, 03 January 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#15 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

Slowest Cub ever?

Jodyyyyyyyyyyyy, Jody Davis

Just did the math. According to the above calcs, Jody Davis' SAP is an beyond-anemic .191.

He always seemed like he should be using crutches when he limped up to the plate didn't he? I always thought he was older than he was because he walked around like my grandfather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).